Dog getting too fat?

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Your baby gets what your baby wants. I totally get that. She's your girl and her happiness is number one. I completely agree that the harsh comments could trigger low self worth and ultimately even more disordered eating. Her binging is what concerns me. Whatever approach you take, be sure to talk with her extensively about how and why things may be a bit different. I don't think you can just cut her off. She will resent you.

Thank you. This makes so much sense! She's always loved food but lately it's like it's become and obsession. Whenever I stand up she thinks I'm headed to the refrigerator. Whenever I make myself a sandwich she just sits there and drools at me. I'm genuinely worried that maybe she overheard comments from some of my friends and is now taking it out on her health and appearence.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    What a cute puppy...I know that my grandparents have an over weight border collie and she eats a lot of people food.

I have a 4 year old border collie who is at good weight and eats very little people food.

I think the people food might be the problem
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My GSP loves food too, I have to put rocks in his bowl to force him to eat around them or he'd inhale his food (had a scare with bloat because of it one time). He KNOWS when it's dinner time, gently placing his head in my lap if I'm sitting down or tapping me with his foot if I'm standing. That being said, I have to limit his intake or he would suffer the same fate as your pooch, even with the 10 to 20 miles he runs everyday.

If you love your dog, do not condemn her to poor health just because you want to baby her love of food. You'll get less time with her (shorter lifespan) if you let her continue to have that weight. Do the right thing and put her on a diet and stop feeding her table scraps.

Note: this post is not meant to be rude, please don't take it as such
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel your pain. I'm going through the same thing with my cat, Princess.

Princess was adorable as a kitten and was used to getting her way, which was a really bad idea on my part. She always managed to get into my poptarts and ice cream, and I would wake up in the morning to find empty wrappers scattered around the kitchen.

Lately, her addiction to sugar is crazy. It's really getting out of control. I would love to help my Princess control Sugar, but I don't think the usual human methods will work. I've talked to my sister about swiping some diabetes medicine from my mom, so I might try that.

To accurately compare to your dog's progress, I suggest multiplying my cat's weight by about 25.

Here she is as a kitten, five pounds:
    DsTySgm.jpg

Here she is getting a little fatter, at 11 lbs
    uAVV5Wr.jpg

And more recently, as she's been getting addicted to Sugar (17 lbs)
    eVdVvSC.jpg

vDZYMcj.jpg
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    your cat is adorable. you guys are such jokers!

animal health shouldn't be a joke :angry:

did you know cats don't have tastebuds that are receptive to sugar....
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    They're also lactose intolerant.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    At first I thought this post was supposed to be funny, but then I scrolled and I'm a bit scared. How does the dog have access to the fridge? My lab could eat and eat all day, but I limit her access to food and she is lean and healthy and very active. Please dont feed her people food regularly obesity in animals is just as much a killer as obesity in humans. You are talking about severe arthritis, hemmoroids, bloating which can kill a dog, and heart disease. Dogs are omnivores and need to be fed a diet that supplies all the essential proteins. Dog's are not herbivores and to put one on a vegan diet would be cruel. You can make your own dog food, but look at what you need to do to supply her the complete nutrition because if you are missing anything it could spell death for your dog. There are some great dog food's out there that are more wholesome (they are pricey), but you wont have to worry about not feeding your baby all the nutrition that she needs. Animals should not be fed people food on a regular basis there are many ingredients in there like onions which can make your dog very sick. I dont have a problem eating a little bit of scraps every once in awhile as a treat, but to feed her so much she is fat may not be in your puppy's best interest.
  • Cr01502
    Options

Princess was adorable as a kitten and was used to getting her way, which was a really bad idea on my part. She always managed to get into my poptarts and ice cream, and I would wake up in the morning to find empty wrappers scattered around the kitchen.

Lately, her addiction to sugar is crazy. It's really getting out of control. I would love to help my Princess control Sugar, but I don't think the usual human methods will work. I've talked to my sister about swiping some diabetes medicine from my mom, so I might try that.

To accurately compare to your dog's progress, I suggest multiplying my cat's weight by about 25.

DsTySgm.jpg

uAVV5Wr.jpg

eVdVvSC.jpg

vDZYMcj.jpg

Wow! Thank you! It's so nice to hear from someone who has battled with something like this before. I'm so sorry to see the state of your cat. I'm wondering if my dog has also become addicted to Sugar??
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options

DsTySgm.jpg

uAVV5Wr.jpg

eVdVvSC.jpg

vDZYMcj.jpg

May I suggest a delightfully flavored sugar free gum? Perhaps OP's lab would benefit as well. People are often ignorant and suggest that animals cannot chew gum but that is utter nonsense. It could really help control their cravings.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    They're also lactose intolerant.

I actually did not know this . . I guess the ice cream is out then. Peggy, my dog, isn't going to like that news.

:frown:
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    Options
    Double post.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You should watch the documentary bellow about how to deal with your dog, I would follow all the steps to the very end to make sure you are successful.

old-yeller-447-16x9-large.jpg?1357215919
  • Cr01502
    Options
    At first I thought this post was supposed to be funny, but then I scrolled and I'm a bit scared. How does the dog have access to the fridge? My lab could eat and eat all day, but I limit her access to food and she is lean and healthy and very active. Please dont feed her people food regularly obesity in animals is just as much a killer as obesity in humans. You are talking about severe arthritis, hemmoroids, bloating which can kill a dog, and heart disease. Dogs are omnivores and need to be fed a diet that supplies all the essential proteins. Dog's are not herbivores and to put one on a vegan diet would be cruel. You can make your own dog food, but look at what you need to do to supply her the complete nutrition because if you are missing anything it could spell death for your dog. There are some great dog food's out there that are more wholesome (they are pricey), but you wont have to worry about not feeding your baby all the nutrition that she needs. Animals should not be fed people food on a regular basis there are many ingredients in there like onions which can make your dog very sick. I dont have a problem eating a little bit of scraps every once in awhile as a treat, but to feed her so much she is fat may not be in your puppy's best interest.

I feed her a combination of rice, turkey, carrots, and broccoli. She also has a scoop of MORE dog food every day.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I go on long walks with my dog, and let her run around the backyard until she's tired. I only feed her the recommended amount of food for her size, regardless of how sad or mopey she gets.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My boss solved the same issue by switching her dogs to a high animal protein diet. She may be feeding them real meat - I will ask her when I get a chance. Apparently, there are a lot of vegetable products, grains and soy in cheap dog food which is fattening to dogs. They are more carnivorous than humans. You could try to upgrade your dog's food.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think your dog may be in starvation mode. And also addicted. She doesn't have the shame to cover up her nipples before pictures!! A sure sign of substance abuse.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    Options
    I go on long walks with my dog, and let her run around the backyard until she's tired. I only feed her the recommended amount of food for her size, regardless of how sad or mopey she gets.

Is this the way of the future? Restricting and limiting our loved ones access to food because they don't have an ideal body?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Why why would humans want to inflict their ethics onto animals? Changing the physiology of an animal to fit into your ethics just blows my mind away. Cat's are obligate carnivores! To not eat meat is death for them. Sorry tangent but this just scares me that someone would inflict their beliefs onto animals.