Have people's concepts of normal become too fat?

Options

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go.

Uh so...what are heavy people supposed to wear? Anyone over a size 14 should wear a mumu or a bed sheet? Wow. You think that will make someone keep a healthy weight? No, it will just make them home bound because they have no clothing fit for public. Shame on you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, this is something I was only thinking about the other day.

There was a picture of an overweight girl on Facebook, posted from a page, it wasn't a friend or anything - she was dressed in sexy underwear and men and women were 'rating' her. She wasn't obese, but most definitly in the overweight category.
    Anyway, all the women were coming on to say how refreshing it was to see a woman with 'curves' - I was amazed, she wasn't curvy, she was overweight - curves to me are a decent bum and boobs on a healthy weighing body, not a woman whose belly is hanging over the top of her knickers.

And funnily enough, all the women prasing her 'curves' looked to be overweight/obese themselves.

So yeah, I definitely think peoples perception of what a healthy weight should be has changed, if people think that someone her size was healthily curvy, they would obviously think a girl with body fat % in the athletic range would be anorexic, it's ridiculous!
    meanwhile..you did not tell us what the male comments were. on the edge of my seat.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go.

Uh so...what are heavy people supposed to wear? Anyone over a size 14 should wear a mumu or a bed sheet? Wow. You think that will make someone keep a healthy weight? No, it will just make them home bound because they have no clothing fit for public. Shame on you.

Perhaps if there were LESS of an emphasis on fat clothing stores it may encourage people to lose weight in order to wear better stuff.....

just sayin.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There has definately been a change of attitude in the UK. As a teenager I was a size 10 but had 'chunky' thighs and I got comments about them. When I decided I needed to lose some weight recently as I was creeping steadily towards a size 14 everyone I mentioned it to said 'oh! you don't need to lose weight' and now that I've almost got back to my size 10s I get comments about not losing anymore or I'll look ill or old!

As for the clothes shops catering for the bigger people, I do think that very large (say over size 20) people should accept that their choices will be limited, and clothes less flattering.

But, how about the clothes shops looked at the other end of the scale for once. As a petite size 10 in my 40s I find buying clothes a real chore! I can't get away with wearing kids clothes anymore and all the decent petite shops assume you are a pensioner! Would be so much easier if I just piled on a few pounds..or grow a few inches taller...lol
  • 100poundproject
    100poundproject Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Emphasis on fat clothing stores? Hell last time I went to Kohls 95% is still dedicated to those who only wear up to Reg XL and then 4% is accessories and 1% is Plus Size.

I can't even find boots to fit my calves in any stores and I had big calves when I was smaller. I have to buy plus sized boots online.

I'm pretty disappointed by the posts that I'm reading about the word FAT being tossed around. Its such a derogatory word just like being told you look gross because you have muscle or being told you look like a waif because you are skinny. If you cared about the overweight community, you'd use the term overweight to describe the apparent dissatisfaction that you have with others who carry more weight than you.

And while some of you still look in the mirror in disgust with your non-overweight bodies, you seem to share you are more disgusted by those who walk through life happy with the way they are, even if its bigger than you.

I agree wholeheartedly over the health of our countries. Of course obesity is a problem and its a growing concern because it leads to medical issues but you're not going to convince people about it by throwing insults towards others.

And some overweight people are actually very healthy medically and if they're happy about it, let them be. Their bodies are no one else's business but their own and vice versa.

We all need to look in the mirror and decide that the only body we should be concerned with is our own unless you genuinely care about helping others lose weight and then others bodies might be your business.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Perhaps if there were LESS of an emphasis on fat clothing stores it may encourage people to lose weight in order to wear better stuff.....

just sayin.

I'm going to assume that at 95kg you experienced plus size shopping, and I'd think you'd know that the clothing available to plus size women isn't exactly the sort of stuff most women would aspire to wear. In general, plus sized clothing is typically shoddy in its design and execution, is not flattering, and you pay through the nose for it. I know the general state of affairs with plus sized clothing motivated me to get back to normal sizes.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

just sayin.

If looking at my big *kitten* and flabby belly naked in the mirror didn't motivate me to lose weight, a lack of fashionable clothing options sure as hell wasn't gonna do it. Also...people telling me I was fat, pain in my knees and back, high blood pressure, prediabetes, etc etc etc. I lived with those things for years. We don't change until we are ready to, and if all we could wear was sweatpants and t-shirts or mumus that's what we'd wear until we were finally ready to change.

Just sayin.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options

just sayin.

I'm just saying that I don't know where you are seeing these "fat" stores everywhere because I was plus sized & couldn't find any cute jeans that fit right anywhere at a decent price! And that did motivate me to now wear a size 9/10 jr. Every person deserves to be treated with respect & as a human being. Every person should be able to find clothes that fit them. I still see way cuter & better fit clothes in regular sizes, so to say that plus size clothes = regular size clothes in fashion, comfort, design? You are wrong (at least here in Oklahoma, USA).
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    Emphasis on fat clothing stores? Hell last time I went to Kohls 95% is still dedicated to those who only wear up to Reg XL and then 4% is accessories and 1% is Plus Size.

I can't even find boots to fit my calves in any stores and I had big calves when I was smaller. I have to buy plus sized boots online.

I'm pretty disappointed by the posts that I'm reading about the word FAT being tossed around. Its such a derogatory word just like being told you look gross because you have muscle or being told you look like a waif because you are skinny. If you cared about the overweight community, you'd use the term overweight to describe the apparent dissatisfaction that you have with others who carry more weight than you.

And while some of you still look in the mirror in disgust with your non-overweight bodies, you seem to share you are more disgusted by those who walk through life happy with the way they are, even if its bigger than you.

I agree wholeheartedly over the health of our countries. Of course obesity is a problem and its a growing concern because it leads to medical issues but you're not going to convince people about it by throwing insults towards others.

And some overweight people are actually very healthy medically and if they're happy about it, let them be. Their bodies are no one else's business but their own and vice versa.

We all need to look in the mirror and decide that the only body we should be concerned with is our own unless you genuinely care about helping others lose weight and then others bodies might be your business.

^^^ This.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    But, how about the clothes shops looked at the other end of the scale for once. As a petite size 10 in my 40s I find buying clothes a real chore! I can't get away with wearing kids clothes anymore and all the decent petite shops assume you are a pensioner! Would be so much easier if I just piled on a few pounds..or grow a few inches taller...lol
    [/quote]

I am a petite size 9/10 & have to shop in the juniors section at stores (5"1' & 25 years old). I feel too old to be in the juniors but the petite section in most stores are way to small (2/4). But hey that's what's motivating me to get into a size 7.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    Okay, hold the phone for a second here. Someone said the UK Special K girl is fat. That would be THIS girl?

RtKx3NP.jpg?1

Really? Again, THIS girl?

AfPE9NB.jpg?1

Fat?

Definitely not fat!

^^agreed! Very healthy looking
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 10 with 25% body fat... I'm not anywhere near 'thin', 'skinny' or what I would consider fit and normal. (A flat stomach and nice toned thighs and arms would be nice :wink: )

My body has the potential to be a lot smaller and fitter (as does everyone's). I'm aiming to be UK size 6 - 8.

Yet my friends and family tell me I'm getting too thin.
    These are friends and family who I've seen put on weight over the past couple of years especially so now I really do look a lot smaller in comparison.

My boyfriend's mother is 7 and a half stone (105lbs) at 5'1", UK size 6 and I think she looks fabulous! Not too thin, and she's so fit! (She kicks my *kitten* at Insanity and she's an amazing runner!) She achieved all this in the last year and looks fab though other people say she look anoexic! (Which is bull!)
  • Charity2001
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go. People now complain if they get charged more on a plane cause they are fat. They complain if there is no 'flattering' clothing to fit them in their size. They complain then when exercise equipment is not built for their weight.

It's become a world of fat people, an nobody bats an eye at it.

This view is just too extreme IMHO. Those who are overwight still have jobs and need to look professional. Airlines want to charge extra? Fine, let 'em. It's an incentive to lose weight. I've never heard the exercise equipment one, to be fair. But I walk outdoors as much as possible.

To the original question, define "normal." Average? BMI in a certain range? Pounds per inch of height? There are different body types. And "average" fluctuates. BMI is widely eschewed as not enough data to be helpful. Weight is the same...are those 100 pounds fat or muscle? There are too many variables, and we never know someone's motivation for gaining weight. Or losing for that matter. Be supportive, love your friends and family, and let everything else go.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Options
    I have a 4.5 year old son, Kynan. Everyone tells us he is "too small". It didn't bother us until he started school this year, when we noticed bc a lot of people pointed it out infact he is smaller than other kids, not a lot smaller, but smaller none the less.
    So we talked to his doctor about it...this is what she said. "He is perfect. I just weighed him and measured him. He is average for his age, he is exactly where he should be for his weight and he is a little bit above average for his height. Please keep in mind that Kynan may in fact be smaller than the other kids in his class, that's okay actually that is better than okay. The numbers for child hood obesity, in fact obesity in all ages is alarming. Obesity is an epidemic...Chances are the people who keep pointing this out to you need to realize that in fact their children might be overweight."
    It was at that moment that I realized that society's perception of NORMAL is not infact normal at all.

This is so true. A couple of weeks ago I was with my daughter and 9 month old granddaughter for her dr visit. She is a healthy little baby girl, with a round belly and arm and leg rolls, like little babies have, yet she is only in the 30% for her weight. My daughter was concerned with her being underweight, but then the dr pointed out that she was fine, it was just the other 70% of babies that were OVERweight. Today, it is normal for a 1 yr old to weigh 30 pounds or more. Yikes. This is why we have 10 yr olds topping the scale at 200 or more. This generation desperately needs better education on health and nutrition, and what is a healthy weight and lifestyle, but unfortunately, most of their education on this subject is taught by their overweight and sedentary parents.

My 2 1/2 year old is in the bottom 5% weight & height wise. I had to take her out of daycare because other kids were bullying her. She would have to play with the 1 year olds (and most were still bigger than her). She eats all the time but is built like her dad (he's 5"10' & weights 129lbs). I'm afraid she will be bullied for being so small. I was bullied for being big. Most of my siblings & parents were at healthy BMIs.

I was obese & sedetary but my kiddo is still tiny. Now, I'm healthy & active & go out & play with my toddler all the time. Most of the moms at the park are bigger than me. I do not think all overweight parents are teaching their kids bad habits. Although, yes I was much worst before, now I'm still at an overweight BMI, but I'm still active with my child & teaching her to eat better. We only eat fast food once a week now that I'm not working & it all evens out financially. I think most people know what healthy eating is but lack the time to cook. In the US, we live a very fast paced lifestyle & many homes don't cook enough anymore.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I havn't read all the posts on this thread because wow - 9 pages? However one comment in particular struck me - the one about how 'curvy' now seems to mean 'obese'. I'm curvy, but I can still fit in a 10/12. Curvy means hips, bum and boobs. Not flab rolls. I think the real issue about my country (UK) becoming desensitized to obesity is how much it's costing the NHS, not just in weight-related illness and care but also in equipment. Beds etc. are all having to be built stronger.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    ive noticed that too...when people see i am eating a salad instead of a burger and they automatically think I am self conscious or that I am trying to lose weight ....but in fact its the opposite. I dont want to gain weight, and I dont want to become another statistic. People are people. I dont like to call people fat because everyones body is different...but what I can say is that people have chosen pleasure over health, and it will be the downfall of our society.

That's it right there... It has nothing to do with 'fat/skinny' the standards HAVE changed. It used to be normal to look 'healthy' now for whatever reason the focus on health isn't there anymore. There never seems to be time to cook, or teach children/adults to embrace physical activity. The TV/computer is now the babysitter and the focus seems to be on doing what you enjoy or getting the most out of life to the exclusion of everything else.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know when I'm where I'm to be (BMI / Hgt-wght) I am told I need to eat! I've been called fit - when I know I'm not! I gained 65 pounds being here caring for my daughter and everyone thinks I'm nuts for trying to take it off. I do believe we have 'learned to accept' the new skinny. I find it frustrating when I watch videos from the 60's & 70's Heck they gave Mama Cass a rough time for being 'fat' but today she would be average. The people during that time (footage from the street - not celebs) were thin / more fit but something happened. Yes, mentality has changed.

Pretty sure Mama Cass would NOT be considered average even now. She was over 300 lb. Adele gets soooo much flak for being heavy and I bet she's around 200 lb.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I do think this is true.

It is a big reason I allowed myself to get heavier and heavier. I live in southern Missouri which is not even one of the named "fattest" places in America...and still I look around and see the majority of women my age are actually larger than I am now at size 18. Even when I was much heavier, I felt pretty average and normal. Honestly when I have traveled to metropolitan, "chic" areas I still see the same thing...lots of very heavy people everywhere. I was 307 at one time in my life and I was rarely the fattest woman in the room even THEN!! Astonishing, really.

If you are able to move/walk around freely, haven't been diagnosed with COPD, diabetes, etc, and have never used a "Mart Cart" then a lot of America would say you're just fine even when morbidly obese. That's scary.

However, I happen to think all of the body love stuff is a very positive thing. But health is #1, and the reality of obesity causing health problems can't be swept under the rug in all of the body love.

I definitely don't agree with people who say "get rid of the plus size models" and other such nonsense. There are some people who are just big. I'm talking about the 6' tall athletic girl who is a size 12-14 and is super fit, active, etc. No reason to try to make everyone fit one mold. The focus ought to be health IMO!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

It's a conspiracy to get us to go naked, and I'm willing if that's what they really want. You can stare at my glorious naked body and see my rolls, boobs, butt and worship me like the venus of wilendorf.

I'm not sure there has been a change the social media still pushes for very thin models.
  • Brandi92809
    Brandi92809 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! My situation: I went to Korea where I became the thinnest (and healthiest) I have EVER been in my entire life. When I came back to the US I thought "OK everyone here is fat so I don't have to worry about my weight, no one cares here" so within a month I had gained about 60 pounds...... Yup that is my story! (Now I am big just because I am lazy, no other reason).