Counting potato chips will drive one crazy

Options
124»

Replies

• hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've totally had to give up salty snacks for now. :( Too triggering. I can portion them out, or buy 100 calorie packs. The problem isn't self control, (at least now that I'm exercising some) it's that I won't be able to think about anything else for the rest of the day. Salty, salty kryptonite.

Edited to add: but yes, the food scale is a must! Weighing everything helps.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    i just quit eating them. It was easier.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    yes definitely a food scale. thats the only way you will get accurate results... cuz like you said the size varies. i so know about counting haha. just recently i counted sweet potato fries.. serving size is 22 pieces... i couldnt figure out why i only got 5 servings out of the bag when it was supposed to be 6... because by weight.. some bags were wayyyy off. they sure didnt look like it though. im not sure why i never thought to weigh them before. i usually only think about weighing meat. but really we should weigh everything.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is why Pringles are my favorite! They are easily counted, and every once in a while I double check the serving against my scale and it is always right on. Also, if you buy the Light (I know, some of you hate light stuff but I have my vices!) you get 30 of those puppies for only 140 calories!!!!

HANG ON!! 140 calories for 30 of them?!! *adds Pringles Lights to shopping list* !!
  • ssl0905
    ssl0905 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is why Pringles are my favorite! They are easily counted, and every once in a while I double check the serving against my scale and it is always right on. Also, if you buy the Light (I know, some of you hate light stuff but I have my vices!) you get 30 of those puppies for only 140 calories!!!!

HANG ON!! 140 calories for 30 of them?!! *adds Pringles Lights to shopping list* !!

I know right...going to get me some pringles! they even sell those in portable packs if im correct
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    So, do I need to get a food scale for potato chips? First of all, yes, I know it's a processed food, high in sodium, oil and will kill me eventually. But push that aside for a moment and who else is annoyed that a bag of chips will say, "about 9 chips"?

You all know that as you count them out on a plate or a small bowl that the chip size varies. Some are "half chips" or mini chips. The entire exercise is exhausting. Anything else is easy to count with measuring cups or such (strawberries, deli meat, almonds, tomatoes, etc).

I think the chip mega-companies should come up with a bag that buzzes when you've taken out one ounce of chips or maybe shocks you (like a dog collar). Because if you have a big bag of chips, your pre-frontal cortex is telling you to stop and measure whereas your sub-conscious is telling you to push those chips in and worry about the consequences later.

If you're going to reply with any kind of spartan or shamed filled diatribe about self control, please refrain. This is for out of the box thinkers, only. Kidding. You can insult away. :)

Yes, weigh them. Even if they're whole chips I've found that a lot of times 15 chips isn't the same as say 1 oz or 50 grams or whatever. Most of the time the number is less weight.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Measure, Measure, Measure. Period.
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    i cant believe u are on here saying u are eating chips wow

Umm, why? If I said paint chips, I agree, it may get a "wow" reaction, but ....I guess I should be talking about the merits of counting celery stalks and how I just can't eat just one. Damn you, celery!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Just weigh them out. This is why I bought a digital scale - I used to count the chips before I had the scale and often I was consuming 2x as much as a serving was supposed to be. And on a side note - chips are not necessarily unhealthy. I buy Giant Eagle brand, which are really tasty, and they have a lightly salted kind which has more potassium than sodium. Perfect for me. :) And mostly good fats, 0 trans fats.
  • klnor88
    klnor88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've seen food scales that are priced under $20; they are a dieters best friend!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

When did saying you eat dirty foods on here become taboo? I eat chips, drink beer, and eat cookies. As long as I am working out and staying within my limits...it's fair game. Oh snap, I better watch out before the Junk Food police read this thread, as I clearly admitted I eat that stuff.

:noway: Ridiculous... :huh:

37672576.jpg

37672631.jpg
  • malmbr
    malmbr Posts: 26
    Options

When did saying you eat dirty foods on here become taboo? I eat chips, drink beer, and eat cookies. As long as I am working out and staying within my limits...it's fair game. Oh snap, I better watch out before the Junk Food police read this thread, as I clearly admitted I eat that stuff.

37672576.jpg

I guess some folks are into eating only healthy, organic, non-junk foods. If that works for them - great! Me? Not so much. I love junk food - always have, always will. Especially during football season! I really portion out my calories on Sundays in the fall.

Love "The Most Interesting Junk-Food Lover in the World!"

37672631.jpg
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

We are all making lifestyle changes here....and that means we will eat junk food at some points. Don't know about anyone else, but if I completely deny myself any food I fall off the wagon one day and eat a ton of it! Chips, yes. In moderation, of course!
    37672576.jpg

37672631.jpg
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Like the last couple message, but in my opinion, if you can fit an entire chocolate cake into your program MORE POWER TO YOU!

Food isn't bad, it is how we treat it that is. Chips, French Fries, Cakes, Cookies .... the list goes on and on, these are all fine in proper proportion. This should all be about a healthy view on food and keeping our consumption in line with our caloric needs and trying to also consider nutrient mix as well. Of course all this talk makes me want some cake
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Potato chips are pointless.

Maybe, but Doritos have three points.
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    I think that you need to use a food scale when eating potato chips because of the variations in their size makes it difficult to count out chips.I know I use to when I ate them.

If you go a few months without eating a potato chip and then try to eat one you'll realize they're really gross. They leave this nasty film in my mouth that's really disgusting.

Try replacing the potato chips with Baked Lays or even better, 94% Fat-Free or Hot-Air POPCORN!

Good luck!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Yes, get a food scale, for this & other things. I weigh out my chips, I'd rather be accurate than guess
  • Deed214
    Deed214 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine :) Seems silly, but it's better than counting! Plus, owning a scale is handy! You will use it a lot.