boss is behaving unethically.

Options
DanTTX
DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
I really need some views on the matter.

After working on some projects in various sectors, I've seen some questionable working ethics (that can be interpreted as illegal perhaps)
Of course this affected my fitness since I'd be worrying the whole time if I'd be affected with the situation.

My question is, would you stay with your job if your boss is behaving unethically? If you choose to stay, why; if you choose not to say, why.

Hope I can get some input.

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.

Depends. I would start whatever procedures your field has in place for reporting unethical behavior AND document everything that's going on, regardless. If you don't think that will help you resolve the problem and stay in your current job, do it anyway (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

Personally, I would not compromise my ethical standards for anyone or anything.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

After working on some projects in various sectors, I've seen some questionable working ethics (that can be interpreted as illegal perhaps)

It sounds like you should blackmail him for money. How much evidence do you have on him? Is he from an Italian family. Perhaps this isn't a good idea.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this is serious or not, and in what capacity that your boss is behaving unethically, but there are whistleblower laws out there to protect you.
  • DanTTX
    Options
    (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

I know what you mean. But please, remind me why : (
    (My mind is obviously clouded now : / )
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    This is very vague. Can you be more specific? I'm having trouble understanding how your unethical boss would have an affect on your fitness?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

I know what you mean. But please, remind me why : (
    (My mind is obviously clouded now : / )

Huh?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'd be the whistle-blower. But that's just me. There are laws that protect you from adverse action.
  • DanTTX
    Options
    This is very vague. Can you be more specific? I'm having trouble understanding how your unethical boss would have an affect on your fitness?

Yes. I understand it's vague. I made it vague because I don't want to give too much information on the net.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this is serious or not, and in what capacity that your boss is behaving unethically, but there are whistleblower laws out there to protect you.

This, and to what extent could you be held accountable if YOU know what's going on but do nothing about it when someone else does? Document everything.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

Yes. I understand it's vague. I made it vague because I don't want to give too much information on the net.

Gotcha. It just makes it a little difficult to give advice with such few details.
    Well I hope you get it figured out, good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If it's anything that *YOU* can be held accountable for, get out as fast as you can.

Otherwise, start earnestly looking for another job, because places like that implode eventually.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    This actually happened to me in 1988. I found out that my boss/company was doing something illegally, but I knew also I wouldn't be able to prove it. I just quit and moved on. If I could have proven what he was doing, I would have definitely reported him to the authorities.

Leave. If you can prove he/she is doing something illegally, report it. But still leave.

P.S. About 3 years later, my boss was caught & charges were filed. I would love to more specific, but I am trying to remain anonymous here.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are laws that protect you from adverse action.

Just like the restraining orders and no contact orders against abusive spouses or stalkers or others that don't stop the abuse?

To rely upon the a law or a court or a cop to protect you is to ignore reality. You may get your justice in the end but in the meanwhile you just may be dead or go through living h%!! while alive.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    "Of course" it affected your fitness? Sounds like you're just looking for a reason to post the question on this site.

Not everything here is about fitness. Did you see the girl who wants to be asked to Spring Fling?

Just own it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this would have any impact on how much you exercise (??)

I had a boss who was pressuring me to book an inappropriate journal entry to make earnings look better (I'm a CPA), so I raised my concerns to the global CFO of the company that had acquired us and he agreed with me and the entry wasn't booked. I knew there were whistleblower laws to protect me, and I also just so happened to have another job offer coming in that day anyway, so reporting that boss was a super easy decision. Regardless, I would have never booked that entry because I could have lost my CPA license (at best) or could have gone to jail and paid a crap load of fines (at worst).
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem from time to time... where the lines of ethics are blurred but I don't get mixed up in that. I maintain my documentation for everything and continue on. But it sounds like this is really bothering you. I would say to start looking for another job.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Of course this affected my fitness since I'd be worrying the whole time if I'd be affected with the situation.

My question is, would you stay with your job if your boss is behaving unethically? If you choose to stay, why; if you choose not to say, why.

Hope I can get some input.

YOU S-O-B! I SWEAR, IF YOU BLOW ME IN, YOU'LL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I couldn't stay if my boss were behaving unethically. Ultimately, that would likely come down on my license as well.

Without knowing more specifics though it's hard for people to tell you. Usually if your gut tells you something is off it probably is.