boss is behaving unethically.

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Call an attorney. They will give you advice about the situation that will stay condifential, and having contacted one will protect your position as a whistleblower.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    what field are you in?
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Large companies usually have ethics departments that you can contact anonymously. Whistle blower laws are also there to protect you if the actions are outright illegal.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.

Depends. I would start whatever procedures your field has in place for reporting unethical behavior AND document everything that's going on, regardless. If you don't think that will help you resolve the problem and stay in your current job, do it anyway (maintain YOUR ethics) and start looking for another job now.

Personally, I would not compromise my ethical standards for anyone or anything.

most of the time-reporting anything like this will get YOU fired. I would keep my mouth shut and look for a new job discretely.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I like the black mail idea.

Alternatively you could learn the in and outs of the organisation and manipulate and back stab your way to the top. Or even feed the authorities just enough information to manipulate them and your boss so no one is really sure what side you're really working for. A double agent if you will.

spy_zps8ef817c7.png
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I would start looking for a new job and also documenting the illegal activity I saw. By not reporting it you could be at risk as well.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i would stay and try to get the problem addressed. don't you have an HR department or someone you can speak to?
    HR usually has to keep everything confidential.

but without knowing details its hard to say. is it something against u or someone else?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    "Of course" it affected your fitness? Sounds like you're just looking for a reason to post the question on this site.

Not everything here is about fitness. Did you see the girl who wants to be asked to Spring Fling?

Just own it.

omg-give me a break! Finding it hard just to be nice? Or are you just using this post as an excuse to be your rude self? Geez!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    talk to an attorney. Especially if you are being involved in the behavior and it is illegal. Depending on what kind of illegal, you could be legally held responsible to some extent or have other legal ramifications.

if you don't think it's a "talk to an attorney" level situation, then don't.

Either way, if its bugging you this much, you need another job.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much look for a new job and forget about it.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I worked at a crappy hotel for a whopping 2 months one summer, and a big reason was because I discovered my boss was literally hiding things during corporate inspections-- including things like the mold in the laundry area and the constantly re-frozen and re-thawed pitiful breakfast selections-- but mainly, the fact that he was letting people "rent" hotel rooms weekly or monthly and not telling the corporate office, therefore pocketing 100% of the money from those transactions and profiting without company consent. (It's a very large economy hotel chain, but I will not say which one.)

When I submitted my 2 weeks' notice, I wrote in there that I was uncomfortable with the workplace procedures. He called me into his office and said, "Do you think you can scare me? I have a very good lawyer and I have never been proven guilty of anything in my life."

I quit on the spot, walked out and never looked back.

TL;DR get out while you can, or be prepared to go down on a sinking ship.
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Options
    I've left two jobs because I didn't agree with the ethics. However, I've been lucky enough to have the financial support / alternative employment opportunities to be able to do that. If you are uncomfortable with what you are doing, you should start looking around for a new job.

If they are doing things that are illegal, you should consult with an attorney to see what you should do when you leave to cut ties and relieve yourself of future liability.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I really need some views on the matter.

After working on some projects in various sectors, I've seen some questionable working ethics (that can be interpreted as illegal perhaps)
    Of course this affected my fitness since I'd be worrying the whole time if I'd be affected with the situation.

My question is, would you stay with your job if your boss is behaving unethically? If you choose to stay, why; if you choose not to say, why.

Hope I can get some input.

YOU S-O-B! I SWEAR, IF YOU BLOW ME IN, YOU'LL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN!

^^^^ Bahahahaha!!!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you feel really strongly, you could blow the whistle. Many companies have hotlines for anonymously reporting these kinds of things. But, I would start looking for a change in job.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Are Human lives on stake? as in they are using cheap cement on a building or a bridge? Cause stuff like that you have to report asap to clear yourself from the potential harm/death.

Is it money? they are taking a slice of the pie that they don't deserve? This case is based on you and how you live your life. If it's too shady then start job hunting report him after you secure a safety net for self AKA another job.

Are small children or animals being abused? Did you walk in the shower and your boss was giving it to a kid? if this was the case and you had to ask you probably are dead inside and should buy a gun and practice Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

In the end you make the call but remember the longer you stay in the situation the more you become part of it.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Definitely need more details to give you the advice you are looking for!
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If it is truly illegal I would leave immediately. I realize that you may need your job for bills etc. but besides effecting your health staying may somehow make you somewhat of an accomplice or if found out it could get you in trouble for not reporting it.
    I would need to have a job to support myself but I would take ANY job (until something better comes along) in place of working for a place that may be doing things "unethical" and possibly illegal.
    Take care and I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    "Of course" it affected your fitness? Sounds like you're just looking for a reason to post the question on this site.

Not everything here is about fitness. Did you see the girl who wants to be asked to Spring Fling?

Just own it.

omg-give me a break! Finding it hard just to be nice? Or are you just using this post as an excuse to be your rude self? Geez!

tumblr_mi0jimX9ZA1s2gpdeo1_500.gif
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Just own it.

I said it was fine that it's not about fitness and fine to be honest about that.

It would be helpful if you could explain how it is rude to state that someone should be honest about their intentions.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I had a problem, but it wasn't with my boss. It was with another coworker.

Sending me mail (how he got my address is unknown to me), buying me lavish gifts... I was 19 at the time, he was 57. I kept everything as evidence and we actually have cameras at work and they caught him trying to get close to me while on duty (was trying to hug me, but I'm sorry, I didn't ask for it!)

Needless to say he was fired. It took me a year of fighting with the company to believe me. The 1st HR manager told me to stop lying and making up stories. Once she left, I went to the new HR manager. She believed me (I guess I wasn't the first employee he was trying to make nice with).

He was fired on the spot. Without much detail on yours, it's hard to say if it's unethical and illegal (two different things). My advice - start looking around for another job. but don't quit, unless it is impacting your health drastically. You don't want to quit unless you have to, you won't get unemployment. And we all have bills and things, unless your significant other makes enough money, then you can shop around for a job for a bit.

Again, without details, I can't really tell you what to do or give good advice.