easy Quinoa recipes (minimal ingredients)

Options
124»

Replies

• hvantassell
    Options
    Sometimes when I don't really feel like cooking I'll just cook the quinoa and add chick peas and avocado and hot sauce simple and filling!!

I do something similar using black beans and adding diced tomatoes (or salsa) to quinoa. I season with a little cumin. Then top with diced avocado and a bit of cheese when serving.
  • slongoria210
    Options
    d
  • slongoria210
    Options
    I love this one: http://sweetpea.ch/2009/09/25/avocado-goats-cheese-quinoa-salad-recipe/

and you could easily replace the avocado for something else if you want to make it more low cal. I made it with cherry tomatoes and green asparagus tips the other day. The only thing that needs cooking is the quinoa, and you maybe need to toast the pine tree nuts.

Do you know the nutritional info for this recipe? I cannot find it on the website... Thanks!
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One we make with minimal ingredients is a quinoa version of Spanish Rice, like the kind you get in Mexican restaurants.

Here's a recipe, just replace the rice with quinoa.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spanish_rice/
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have been making a chicken veggie pilaf here lately that is super yummy

1/2 cup of dry quinoa
    1 cup of reduced sodium reduced fat chicken stock
    1 cup of frozen mixed veggies (the 1 I use has green beans, carrots, corn, and peas in it)
    chicken breast

Add the quinoa, chicken stock, and frozen veggies in a saucepan. I also add galic and pepper to this. Bring to boil, cover and simmer about 10-15 minutes or unitl quinoa is cooked. Add chicken breast if you like to make a more rounded meal or just eat just the pilaf. Super easy and very filling. I am actually having it for lunch today but with no chicken just the pilaf.

^^ This is how I normally do it. Just cook it plain or add mixed veggies. Then it replaces rice adn whatnot at meals. Adding chicken stock helps flavor it, but I sometimes don't need it when I sautee garlic and onion first and then cook the quinoa and water in that pot.
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    must try some of these!
  • Poco25
    Poco25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also warm it up with Almond milk and have it for breakfast instead of oatmeal
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I will make up a batch of quinoa, and break it up into 1 cup portions, and 2 cup portions (some for just me, and others for a meal.) Freeze them, and then microwave them when I need it. I saute, onion, bell pepper in skillet. Add organic, no salt added tomato paste, and some home made taco seasoning. I add water to thin it out mix in the quinoa, and have Spanish style quinoa topped with grilled chipotle chicken, and veggies. (my Fajita exchange) I will defrost some and sprinkle it on my salads. I will warm some up toss it with finely chiffon basil, and parmesan cheese, minced garlic. drizzle olive oil over it, and enjoy with Italian herded chicken. I wilt kale down, with garlic, and rosemary. Mix in with quinoa, add some steamed diced carrots. I pour a little (I mean a little balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, and enjoy. I make a stoup (stew/soup). In a big skillet, saute onion. Add in 1 tsp. minced garlic, and 2 pieces of prosciutto ham chiffon (just for flavor). Add in one can of well rinsed organic cannellini beans. 1/2 cup to 1 cup (depends how much you like) of thawed spinach (ring out extra water in spinach in a wash cloth or paper towel so it is nice and dry before adding it to skillet.) 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tbsp. organic tomato paste, 2 cups or more (again how soupy you like it of chicken or veggie stock (organic no added salt). Add one cup of quinoa.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love this one: http://sweetpea.ch/2009/09/25/avocado-goats-cheese-quinoa-salad-recipe/

and you could easily replace the avocado for something else if you want to make it more low cal. I made it with cherry tomatoes and green asparagus tips the other day. The only thing that needs cooking is the quinoa, and you maybe need to toast the pine tree nuts.

Do you know the nutritional info for this recipe? I cannot find it on the website... Thanks!

When I had my version with asparagus and cherry tomatoes, MFP calculated the nutritional info like this:

Tesco - Quinoa Cooked, 200 g 230 37g 4g 9g 0mg 0mg 2g 6g
    Bertolli - Pesto Verde, 25 g 115 1g 12g 2g 0mg 275mg 1g 1g
    Oil - Extra Virgin Olive Oil., 0.5 Tbsp 60 0g 2g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
    Chavroux - Geitenkaas, 50 gram 86 2g 7g 4g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
    Sainsbury's - Cherry Tomatoes (10tomatoes) 100 g, 100 g 20 3g 0g 1g 0mg 100mg 3g 1g
    Nuts - Pine Nuts, 1/8 cup dry/ 4 Tablespoons 85 2g 7g 4g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
    Vegetables (Fresh) - Green Asparagus Spears, 3 Spears 10 2g 0g 1g 0mg 6mg 1g 1g

with total 606 calories, 47 carbs, 32 fat, 21 protein, 381 sodium and 7 sugar. Though it said the goat's cheese (geitenkaas) has no sodium, which I think must be wrong. If you add avocado it would be different I guess!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What is the best tasting brand of quinoa?

Quinoa is quinoa! Buy organic if you can. I would recommend rinsing it like you do rice (gets rid of the little bit of bitterness) Then I brown it in a skillet like vermicelli. I add the proper ratio of water 2 cups water or stock: 1 cup quinoa stir and put a lid on it to cook for 20 minutes. It's so fluffy this way! Then split it up into my portions, and freeze (I make batches at a time) Since I work full time, and go to the gym six days a week I do a lot of cooking like this on weekends. It makes weekly meals easier, For my snacks lunches, and dinners. It also helps my hubby who is not a cook make better meals for our son who has high cholesterol. The man can grill meat, but sides stump him...lol OOH! it does come in red, and black varieties I have never tried them, but thet are suppose to be delicious! i may have to go snag some of them now and try!
  • nconley83
    nconley83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes later :)
  • lisarfrank
    lisarfrank Posts: 31
    Options
    I do the same thing! I have added it to a lot of stuff. I love the texture!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bump...I bought a bag a couple of weeks ago but have been afraid to try it. Some of these recipes sound great. Does everyone soak it before using?
  • lisarfrank
    lisarfrank Posts: 31
    Options
    I have a Vegetarian Quinoa Chili Recipe but unfortunately it has quite a few ingredients. Id be happy to share that one with you.

I would like this recipe.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    for sweet:
    when you boil the water throw in a couple of chai tea bags for flavor if you like the spiciness. (i love chai.)
    add sweetener of your choice, a splash of milk and some fruit.

for savory:
    cook with broth until al dente and i use cavender's greek seasoning. add tomatoes (i prefer sun dried packed dry for this) and cooked chicken. add a handful of raw spinach just on top and cover for a few minutes to let the leaves wilt. add some feta and maybe some pine nuts. mushrooms are also a good addition.

quinoa freezes really well and you can just defrost as needed. if i'm going to do that, i just cook it with water.
  • mkm81
    mkm81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to get some new quinoa recipes. I am looking for quick and easy recipes that don't require a lot of ingredients:) THANKS

eatingwell.com/go/quinoa
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I made this Sunday night and had it all week for lunch.

Cook 1 cup of quinoa

Add
    1 can of black beans rinsed
    5 green onions diced
    1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped

Whisk together
    2 tbsp. Olive oil
    1 tsp. Cumin
    6 tbsp. Of lime juice (or 2 fresh squeezed limes )

Pour over quinoa, black beans, onion and cilantro.

Mix and refrigerated.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump