Replies

• Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Hubby is an AWESOME COOK. And yes, he does prepare supper. :love: :drinker:
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Lol. No, not a DC commuter...Mind as well be...I commute from VA to WV . Job is TOOO good of $$ to look for another.

Ok..Here is my schedule.

4:00 -4:45 am Get ready for work-Feed animals (45 min)
    4:45 - 6:45 am Drive TO work. (2 hrs)
    7:00 - 5:30 pm Work (10 1/2 hrs)
    (11:30 - 12:00 pm Lunch (I walk 1.5 miles) (30 min)
    5:30 - 7:00 pm Drive Home. (1.5 hrs)
    7:00 - 9:00 pm Make dinner and spend time with hubby (2 hrs)
    9:00 pm Bed. (7 hrs)

I have just purchased the P90X and would like to start losing more weight and have some tone definition. I have done the "Insanity" which I really enjoyed, til I got called onto this construction project.
    My question is, What or how would you fit little or ANY exercise in if you had my schedule? Now, they say..NOT to exercise 2 hours before bedtime.
    Any positive-friendly feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance~

You're schedule sounds almost like mine... 2 hrs to work and an hour half back.. O.o... you're not a DC commuter, are you?

Ah, ok. I commute from VA as well, but towards DC sadly.. I would rather WV, lol.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I'm not sure but I went into kitchen to get me a cold pop...And I said Oh lord jesus there's a fire...And I ran out of there..

And I got me the bronchitis.

ETA: 3.5 hours of your life everyday is being spent driving to and from a job. Unless you are extremely passionate about this or you are making insane amounts of money, I would recommend starting a job search

YEP...You know what video I'm talkin' about.. LMAO!

YEP...love the $$ :love:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I vote for you getting the hubby to do it with you. My boyfriend and I have been together 7 years, and since we started working out together, our relationship is just that much stronger. He motivates me and pushes me in a good way to the end of the workout. At the end when I tell him he's the one who kept me going, he says I did the same thing.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I am bookmarking this page. I have a few suggestions but I am on my way out to birthday dinner!
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    $$ is so good you drive 1040 hours in one year? Heck that's half of my entire work schedule just driving.

Part of the reason I stay at my job is the 5 minute commute.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You say you come home an make dinner, maybe your hubby could make dinner a few nights a week so you could get a workout in while he is cooking?

I don't know what his day is like, it might be worse then yours.

However, when you are driving into work if by any chance there is standstill traffic, or you feel comfortable doing this, you could try systematically squeezing all of your muscles head to toe repeatedly. It's not weightlifting but it is something.

Good luck
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    $$ is so good you drive 1040 hours in one year? Heck that's half of my entire work schedule just driving.

Part of the reason I stay at my job is the 5 minute commute.

i agree with you generally as I have a 10 minute commute over here in Omaha. In bigger cities this isn't always possible though.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    First of all, weight loss can be done without exercise.

If you want to work on fitness, that's good for you too. If this is your goal, I recommend you take it a tad bit slower. The idea is to build up stamina and commitment. Focus more on commitment than what you actually need to accomplish, at least initially. Then you can build on what you want to accomplish as your goals change.

For initially, I second getting the shorter videos and 3 times a week is enough. Don't do an hour long one. Get a pedometer. See where your current steps are. Beat it by 1,000 a day for the next 2 weeks. Then bump it up until you at least get 10,000 steps (or more if you are already there).

Fitness is important for health. Diet is more important (in terms of weight loss, but also for health). So is REST!

I also like the idea that instead of a video, take a walk with your husband in the evenings. Start out with a stroll, then use a phone app and up your pace. Walking is good for you too.

While there are exercise regimens that target different types of fitnesses and have different affects on the body as well as body composition, initially your best friend is going to be building commitment. Focus on that. Make a plan. It doesn't have to be an extravagant plan. In fact, I kinda recommend you don't make one that is too ambitious. You want something you can sustain. You want to start out slow and work your way up. (Working your way up does not have to mean more minutes by the way). You want to also make sure you have enough down time and rest.

Be good to yourself. You can fit it in, but maybe you should aim your ambitions a little lower for awhile as you build your way up and know what you need to get out of it. For what it is worth, more time, in terms of fitness, does not necessarily mean more efficient. The people that hit on HIIT, for example, are giving you a good tip to work towards.

When you do get to the point that you can manage and sustain, you might check into a gym that is close to your work and do it right after work. But even that just really depends on your goals.

For now, stick to a short video or a good brisk walk, and only 3 times a week, or even 2 days a week. If you must, go for a hike on Saturday somewhere to some beautiful waterfall or something, to a picnic destination, stroll around a new city, or visit a zoo.Down time and exercise do not have to be mutually exclusive either. If you stay home because you need to do some yard work, that's okay too.

I used to work 6 days a week and on the 7th day, I was a zombie. I did my walking during work at certain times. On my day off, once in awhile I did the whole date thing where I went out and did something fun but if I vegged out in front of a TV, well, that is what saved my sanity.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I am enjoying the replies.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can do some weights or resistance bands at work? I am not sure what you do, but Im sure you get a couple coffee breaks, or if its a desk job and you just take quick 5 minutes of intense resistance training every hour.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't commute quite as far, but I do have a kind of similar schedule, except mine includes getting my 3.5 and 1.5 year olds ready and to daycare before work every day and picking them up at night, which adds about an hour in the morning and a half hour in the evening to my 45 minute each-way commute. And then, I only have about 1.5-2 hours at most to spend with them in the evenings, and that is NON-negotiable time. Period. Judge my priorities all you want, but there is NOTHING more important than the precious time I get with my kids. Of course I occasionally have a commitment that takes me away from them, but I wouldn't be able to handle scheduling something multiple days per week during that time.

Anyway, I work out after they go to bed. I usually get to the gym around 9 or a little later and get home around 10:30. I do that 3 days per week and then go during their naptimes on the weekends (and always schedule my 2 rest days for during the week). It's worth a little less sleep 3 days per week when I can get plenty the other 4. Maybe that's a possibility, to stay up a little later a couple of days per week so you still get your hubby time? Even 4 workouts per week is great, and if you do 2 on the weekends and 2 during the week you could probably make it.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I enjoyed reading all of your replies. I will take them all into consideration and do my best.

Thank you~thank you~thank you!
    :glasses: