Have you found success with the Couch to 5k app?

Options

Replies

• Sinyo254
    Sinyo254 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have started using the Couch-to-5k app by Active. I like that I can use my own music with it but no matter how low I have my music I can't hear the instructor telling me when to walk/jog. I have the instructor voice turned up all the way. Sometimes I can hear a pause in my music when when it is time to switch. Any suggestions on how to fix this or is there a better app out there? I have the new ipod. Thanks! Lana

Hey there, i am about to start week 4 day 1 and i am using 10k runner by skylabs and its amazingly simple although it does not have gps so i use runkeeper to track my distance and they work perfectly together. The build up of the runs from week to week is easy to follow and progresses you at the perfect pace.

Sorry about the previous message the app that i use is 10k runner by clearsky
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I LOVE couch to 5k!! I use the 10k runner app by clearsky, and I have only one more week to go until I roll over to the 10k portion. When I started, I could barely run the full minute, and I swore to myself that I would never be able to do it. I kept at it though, and now I can easily jog for 25 minutes at a time (more if I really push myself). I expected my weight to just fall right off when I started running, and that was definitely not the case. HOWEVER, it has made tracking calories a lot more comfortable for me, since I can eat back some of my exercise calories. I've lost like 10lbs so far since starting. The best part about the program, for me, is that it was like a gateway to other kinds of fitness. I started to crave cardio and now I have the energy to go through a beginner bodyweight resistance program as well.

This has probably been mentioned, but aside from shoes, the best advice I can give you is GO SLOW. Even if you are running slowly already, go slower if you have to--as slow as you need to go to keep running without stopping.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Just started c25k myself using UK's NHS app version. Hope this thread can motivate me and give tips. On WK 1 Day 3 tomorrow.

Good luck!
  • calypsocoin
    Options
    I tried the free version yesterday to challenge myself and I was disappointed. I don't know if I had the settings wrong or what, but the app said it would work with other music apps, but I missed all the signals when I had my music on. I paused my music and still didn't get any audio from the app. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope to get it working and use it so I can up my daily walk to a run! (I was using mapmyrun at the same time, but I'm not sure if that would affect it or not because the app appeared to be working, just not giving me audio cues - now mapmyrun/walk is an app I do swear by!)
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Just started c25k myself using UK's NHS app version. Hope this thread can motivate me and give tips. On WK 1 Day 3 tomorrow.

Good luck!

You might like to check out the C25K group board!! Everyone there is super helpful and motivating :)
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been on week 2 for about 3 weeks now lol. I like it. I'm just a lazy runner I guess lol.
  • FrancesAnn11
    FrancesAnn11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was never EVER a running. I was a coffee drinking cigarette smokin artsy fartsy type.

I kept the artsy fartsy part, and I still drink coffee, not 8-12 cups a day anymore though.. and I run.

I try and do a race every month now. Back when I start C25K, I didn't think I'd make it 1 minute running never mind one mile. I found one I like - http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/

I stuck with it, now I run anywhere from 5-15 miles a week. And I find if I don't do it, I get mean... I'm addicted.

Thank you so much for recommending this podcast series!! So often the I find the music off putting but I love this one :smile: !

It's inspired me to head out and give running another try!
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used Rundouble's C25K app. I have been very happy with it. I tend to use MapMyRun more now, but the c25k plan was invaluable for me getting started.

In about 8 months, I went from 50+ lbs overweight and couldn't jog more than maybe 100 ft to today I am just slightly overweight and average about 5-6 miles 5 days a week. I was never a runner before, now I enjoy it. I call that success.

I've started a project where I plan to run every road in my county over the next couple years. That's about 2500+ miles of road, closer to 3500 actually run.
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started in a C25K app program in March of 2013 at 280 pounds, when I quit smoking. I had never been able to run, even as a child. It was a wonderful program, and I was able to progress more toward the end, quicker than the program, so I went on my own. I have since run 11 5k's, 2 10 k's, 1 mud run and 2 half marathons.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k late last year. When I started I was just over 200 pounds (having come down from 220 pounds though diet and walking alone). Even week 1 was challenging. Just running for 1 minute left me feeling like I might die.

I don't recall exactly when I completed the program - sometime late Feb I think. Now I run 3 miles, 3 times a week. I run consistent 9 minute splits, and I'm working on speeding up.

I'm down to around 170 pounds, about 10 pounds off my goal weight of 160 (to reach a body fat percentage of 15%).

So yeah, I guess you could call me a C25K success story. :bigsmile:

Update, 1 year on. I'm now running 5k in under 23 minutes. So yeah, definitely a C25k success story.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    That being said, I have started the Couch to 5k app. I am on my third day and so far it's been going well. I've been able to do what the app tells me to do without much problem. I know it only gets harder but I've never been scared of a challenge.

What I would like to know is, have any of you found success using the app and if so, what happened? What did the app do for you? I would love to know! Also, I see that it has a 3 day workout for each week. I work out about 5 days a week. Did you only do the 3 days and shift to something else (if you worked out more than three days), or did you just keep going, no matter if it was the following week or not?
    I did the "Run for God" program at my church but the workout portion of it was so similar to C25K that we ended up using that pretty much every week. Over the 12 weeks we did it, I went from getting winded doing the 90 second jog portions to being able to run my first 5K in well over 15 years in 30:45. I have kept running since then with a goal of doing a half marathon in October.

In the interest of full disclosure, every single workout I felt like I wouldn't make it through it...and once I got to those ones toward the end..where you doing 8 minute jogs..10 minute jogs...up to 20 minutes at a clip, it seemed insurmountable...but...I did get through it and I would do it all again.

Good luck!
  • marcw1977
    marcw1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first ever 5k on Sunday with a time of 29:01
    I now completely swear by the c25k program. I'm just about to start on the 10k one! I was a fairly heavy smoker and had been for 20 years. Lots and lots of failed attempts a giving up smoking, patches, e-cigs etc etc... I started the C25K and never wanted another *kitten*. I've lost over 10kg and go the gym at least 4 times a week, and I do believe that that app had a lot to do with it. Such an easy program to follow. Stick with it and it delivers!
  • all4rescue
    all4rescue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first ever 5k on Sunday with a time of 29:01
    I now completely swear by the c25k program. I'm just about to start on the 10k one! I was a fairly heavy smoker and had been for 20 years. Lots and lots of failed attempts a giving up smoking, patches, e-cigs etc etc... I started the C25K and never wanted another *kitten*. I've lost over 10kg and go the gym at least 4 times a week, and I do believe that that app had a lot to do with it. Such an easy program to follow. Stick with it and it delivers!

Great job!! I wish you could talk to my husband! I have been doing the couch to 5k, trying to get him to join me but jokenly says its to hard on the tennis shoes. He has a been a heavy smoker for years also. You should be very proud of yourself!
  • lpillaiin
    lpillaiin Posts: 2
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • SLP76
    SLP76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming to the end of the program, I've got one session left before it tells me to run the 5k.

When I started I found it extremely tough, I was struggling physically with running for a minute at a time and now I am running for 28 minutes at a time (still struggling, but more of a mental struggle than a physical one).

To answer your question, I just ran when I felt like it - I tried to fit it in three times a week but sometimes left two days in between runs, sometimes I run one day after another if I'm feeling energetic.

I've enjoyed it and will carry on running, I find it's an easy exercise to fit into my life. I put my trainers and clothes on, load up my music & program on my phone and I'm out of the door & back within 40 minutes. My husband is more of an experienced runner and he finds it easy to go for a 5k run during his lunch hour and do longer runs on the weekend.

I haven't lost much weight during the eight weeks (maybe a few pounds but nothing significant), but I do find that it's easier to stick to my calories. My appetite is more in control. Hopefully the weight will come off in time.
  • eldyn90
    eldyn90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on W7D2 of the app and I really love it. I was so proud of myself after last night's run (25 min without walking). It was the furthest I have ever run without stopping in my life! So far I have made sure not to run two days in a row, but I also have gone through the program a little faster than what it says (I'm on week 7 but I only started a little over 6 weeks ago). On days when I don't run I either walk, bike, hike or rest. My dog is my running partner and he gets so excited when he sees me put on my running shoes. As silly as it may sound, his happy wiggly little butt has been great motivation for me to keep running. Speaking of running shoes.. about two weeks ago I went to a running specialty store and had the guys there watch my gait and look at the soles of my old running shoes. They were able to suggest shoes that were better for my specific needs. The new shoes have helped a lot - less pain and my foot no longer feels like it's sliding inward. Long story short, I'd suggest getting some quality shoes if you haven't already. And maybe a dog too, just cause they're adorable. :happy:
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The apps and the plans were too structured for me. I was pretty far out of shape and had never been a runner so I started with just running as far as I could (which was maybe about 50 yards at first) and then walking and alternating for either 1 or 2 miles total. I would usually need at least one but sometimes more days of rest before I could run again and I'd try to run just a little more each time. I would typically run the same route so I'd have landmarks along the way but I also used a running app to track distance and time. Eventually I set a goal to run a mile without stopping, then two, then three. This slovenly approach worked for me and although using a formal plan might have gotten me faster results, this way kept me from getting stressed out about whether I was conforming to the plan properly. After about two years I'm still no speed demon but I run 2-3 times/week and consider myself a runner. I've completed a number of 5ks, some 5 mile trail runs with as much as 1200' elevation gain, and a couple 10ks as well.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes it's amazing.

I've never been a runner, I refused to run in school, I've never ran a mile, I gave up through the pain...

I'm on my last week of C25K and can now run 30 minutes straight, not quite a 5K yet, but now I know that I CAN do it. You just have to want it bad enough and take it slow.

It's amazing. I love running. I even run through the side aches now. And I can freaking breathe. I just can't believe it.
  • saldelmar
    saldelmar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the C25k program! I started it in Oct. '13 and finished it in early December, just in time for my very first 5k race. Since then, running has become my go-to exercise and I've done a race a month. It's been awesome! If you're on Facebook, you can join the "C25K Accountability and Support" group (you can search for it by name). It's a great group of supportive people, some of whom have completed the program and have gone on to run 10ks, half marathons, marathons, etc. and some folks who are just doing the program now. Good luck to you!!! :happy:
  • Sinyo254
    Sinyo254 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi guys, doing week 4 day 2. i am very anxious about running for 5 straight mins but i am relishing the challenge because every week i feel my confidence growing. Not lost much weight though which is kinda disappointing but i will still keep going to the end.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!