Foods to help Depression

Options
13»

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Watch out for artificial sweeteners too, especially Aspertame. A few studies show it can cause anxiety- something you don't need.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you use them but I had read that artificial sweeteners such as splenda /equal I believe it is aspertain can cause depression, I stopped diet soda long ago, but was putting away a 1/2 gallon of crystal light in a evening....

I stopped drinking so much and have seen a difference.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/01/12/diet-drinks-artificial-sweetener-tied-to-greater-risk-of-depression/50327.html

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/avoid-artificial-sweeteners.htm

I have been using canderel for years as I can't drink tea without sugar. I have recently switched to half spoon just for my sugar in tea and only have a tea in morning and before bed I try and drink water the rest of the day. It is easier to stick to water and salads when weather is hot but I'm in Yorkshire, UK and we tend to get more cold wet weather than hot sunny days!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Pick up the poop after the dogs defecate. One problem solved! And it gives you exercise.

I do pick up my dogs poo thanks very much!
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    honestly the thing that's helped me the most with depression is my cheat days
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.

I kid you not. Sit down with a mug of hot coffee and few squares (or whole bar, if you're me) of chocolate and read a nice book. Best feeling ever.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Pick up the poop after the dogs defecate. One problem solved! And it gives you exercise.

I do pick up my dogs poo thanks very much!

Never mind. I was going to say spray it with bleach or something.

As for food, I will tell you something that would give my dietitian fits. I have gone back to having oatmeal for breakfast. I tried to stay off of it. But, what happened back in October I had nothing but oatmeal in my house so I made a bowl of it and it was pretty good, still not my favorite thing. But, I got to thinking I have this container of oatmeal I should finish it off. It took about 3 weeks and what I noticed was my mood improved so much. So it became my daily breakfast. I have a big bowl and it keeps me full for hours and happy as well. The dietitian I went to said to switch to a high protein breakfast I tried that for like 3 weeks and I felt horrible and I was taking in about 300 more calories a day, I would get full, but wouldn't stay full for as long. So, I am back on oatmeal and I am happier already.
  • lstockham39
    lstockham39 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump