7 Reasons why women should lift heavy

Options
I have been looking into lifting a lot latley, i really want to start but all i have right now are some adjustable dumbbells so i have been using those a little bit and doing RI30. But i was searching around on google and came across this article. I know there is A LOT of talk about why lifting is good for you and so many women who are worried they are going to "bulk up" (in thier own definition of what bulky is) but this acticle is really good and if you are not sure about lifting or if you already are actually every woman should read this :) Hope you enjoy and i hope it helps some of you that arent too sure if lifting is for you or not..and i hope this isnt braking any rules posting this article, i have seen a few posted so i think it should be ok :)

Heres the link take a look :)
http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/12/03/7-reasons-women-should-lift-heavy-weights/#7-reasons-women-should-lift-heavy-weights-10

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some positive comments on weight lifting for women, though I am somewhat disappointed that they set a remarkably low end cap of 25lbs, like that is all a woman should do or strive for.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some positive comments on weight lifting for women, though I am somewhat disappointed that they set a remarkably low end cap of 25lbs, like that is all a woman should do or strive for.
    True!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    this is a pretty damn good reason for me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ja1cfDlaw
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for posting. I'm definitely going to share this with my friends!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    "Lifting heavy weights—about 8-15 pounds for women is fine and up to 25 is ideal—is the most efficient and effective way to build muscle mass," says Joey Gonzalez, owner of Barry's Bootcamp New York.

I'm going to file Joey Gonzales under "People who don't have a clue."
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    "Lifting heavy weights—about 8-15 pounds for women is fine and up to 25 is ideal—is the most efficient and effective way to build muscle mass," says Joey Gonzalez, owner of Barry's Bootcamp New York.

Yea, i must have kinda skimmed over that part lol really only 25lbs?
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

No kidding
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Definitely, file him down!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I agree with the premise of the rest of the stuff on there, but I am so unbelievably sick of the idea that "lifting heavy" for women means doing curls with pastel dumbbells. The dude owns a gym. How can he fail to mention powerlifting and O-lifting? Surely he knows that women (seriously hot women) do that too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh, well I guess I already do lift heavy, when I lift, which isn't often.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

For real! I can do about 12-15 reps with 25 lbs. That's not lifting heavy.

Edited to Clarify: I was referring to doing bicep curls with 25lbs
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

OMG this was as far as i went too! WTF... dude. c'mon. consult a chick before you write about 'ideal weights'... moron.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    After seven months of lifting progressively heavier pink weights I finally made it to the truly heavy 8lb range. I'm going to the store to buy a full gallon of milk now and I'm confident that I'll be able to pick it up all by myself. Will update with my NSV when I return.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Maybe that isn't what he was suggesting . Perhaps it's just that progressing beyond that doesn't provide any additional health benefits, though it might provide bragging rights or personal satisifaction.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    After seven months of lifting progressively heavier pink weights I finally made it to the truly heavy 8lb range. I'm going to the store to buy a full gallon of milk now and I'm confident that I'll be able to pick it up all by myself. Will update with my NSV when I return.

LMAO. Best of luck. Sounds like you'll need it. A gallon is SUPER heavy...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with the premise of the rest of the stuff on there, but I am so unbelievably sick of the idea that "lifting heavy" for women means doing curls with pastel dumbbells. The dude owns a gym. How can he fail to mention powerlifting and O-lifting? Surely he knows that women (seriously hot women) do that too.

Yeah, he owns a gym and he wants women to come in. If you haven't noticed, telling women to get under a 45-lb bar and squat with it doesn't usually go over well.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I wonder what he would think when I took my 25 lb dumbell and easily smacked him across his face with it??
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Maybe that isn't what he was suggesting . Perhaps it's just that progressing beyond that doesn't provide any additional health benefits, though it might provide bragging rights or personal satisifaction.

Actually there are a lot of health benefits to lifting heavy example women that lift are less likely to have osteoporosis later in life. There are a lot more too :) healthier joints and well looking hot as hell :)
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    But isn't a gallon of milk heavier than water?

Totally agree--"heavy" lifting benefits both men and women alike. Thanks!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

But if you lift that gallon of milk, you'll instantly become bulky! DON'T DO IT!!!