7 Reasons why women should lift heavy

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The simplest concepts become very complex on the internet.

So, now, more than 25lbs serves no purpose. Alert the authorities and everyone slash their wrists. It's over. The zombies have arrived.

Did anyone say it served no purpose? (other than you, I mean)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Perhaps it's just that progressing beyond that doesn't provide any additional health benefits, though it might provide bragging rights or personal satisifaction.

Getting stronger doesn't provide additional health benefits? Really? It just provides bragging rights? I really hope you are never stranded in the wilderness.

Additionally, recent studies have indicated that there is an inverse association between muscular strength and death (of all causes), as well as cancer (here is a link to one: http://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a439). But you keep lifting your 25 lbs. I'll keep bragging about being able to deadlift nearly twice my body weight.

I have no idea what is meant by the 'stranded in the wilderness' comment, but I also hope I never am.

As far as getting stronger providing health benefits, that is my question. If you can bench 100 lbs and I can bench 50 (two 25 lbs dumbbells) is there any evidence that the extra weight you can bench = less bone loss or less disease risk.

The discussion was not comparing no resistance training to always lifting to failure, I'm asking about the amount required for health benefits.

If you can bench 50 lbs, you will not get the same bone density benefits by benching 15 lbs.

How do you know? What if I bench 15 to failure?

Well, instead of references how about this?

Would you rather....

a. Do 3 sets of 5 25lb shoulder presses with a minute rest and so be done in maybe 4 minutes (assuming the 25 is heavy for said person)
    or
    b. Be doing X number of shoulder presses at 15lbs and be doing them for like 10 minutes? I know I would be like the energizer bunny and just get bored with the shoulder presses at that light of a weight.

How would what I'd rather do make any difference in what preserves bone density?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Oh honestly, you're just wanting to bicker about it and feigning curiosity about lifting. If you don't want to lift heavy then why not get busy not doing it? Why come in here and be a downer when you're not even interested? What's the payoff?

I don't want to lift heavy. I don't enjoy lifting at all. But if there is evidence that lifting heavier actually provides more protection against bone density than lifting 15-25 lbs then I might consider it, whether I enjoyed it or not. But I've never seen any, and still haven't despite the agressive replies telling me it exists. And an internet search has provided none. I don't think there is any.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But if there is evidence that lifting heavier actually provides more protection against bone density than lifting 15-25 lbs then I might consider it

No you won't. You've been here for 11,448 posts. It would be literally impossible to miss the evidence you request.

You just don't want to hear it.

Don't lift. That's fine. But there's no need to troll the rest of the forum with excuses and faux interest.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    But if there is evidence that lifting heavier actually provides more protection against bone density than lifting 15-25 lbs then I might consider it

No you won't. You've been here for 11,448 posts. It would be literally impossible to miss the evidence you request.

Don't lift. That's fine. But there's no need to troll the rest of the forum with excuses and faux interest.
    I owe you one fruit bouquet.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Lifting heavy makes you grow chest hair.

Exercise in general makes you grow chest hair--no? And lifting weights will definitely make you into one of those...those...AMAZON women! (By the way, that is what we were actually told when we were teenagers--girls were discouraged from doing anything "too strenuous" as that could "reduce your femininity and fertility". :laugh:

P.S. If a "more mature" woman like me can learn to lift heavy, anyone can. :smile:
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy makes you grow chest hair.

True story! My lifting partner and I need to shave our girls now! It can be kind of time consuming and none of our cute little workout shirts look good anymore.

But...on a more serious note "lifting heavy" for women means lifting heavy for YOU! If the Barbie bells are challenging keep at it! If you're benching 100+ keep at! Just lift to failure or close each and every time. Progressively add more weight as you evaluate each weight lifting session. It's all about personal goals and accomplishments.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...True story! My lifting partner and I need to shave our girls now! It can be kind of time consuming and none of our cute little workout shirts look good anymore..."

Now, I gotta say THAT's a little scary. I did read somewhere that lifting increases testosterone levels in both men and women. But I also read that most post-menopausal women would benefit from a tiny bit of testosterone. Have not read anything about younger women--would probably depend on the hormonal makeup of the particular woman. Mediterranean women tend to run higher levels of androgenic hormones than women whose ethic origins are from further north in Europe. Don't know about Oriental or African women. Interesting.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into lifting a lot latley, i really want to start but all i have right now are some adjustable dumbbells so i have been using those a little bit and doing RI30. But i was searching around on google and came across this article. I know there is A LOT of talk about why lifting is good for you and so many women who are worried they are going to "bulk up" (in thier own definition of what bulky is) but this acticle is really good and if you are not sure about lifting or if you already are actually every woman should read this :) Hope you enjoy and i hope it helps some of you that arent too sure if lifting is for you or not..and i hope this isnt braking any rules posting this article, i have seen a few posted so i think it should be ok :)

Heres the link take a look :)
    http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/12/03/7-reasons-women-should-lift-heavy-weights/#7-reasons-women-should-lift-heavy-weights-10

Thanks!! :)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    From Weighttraining.com under the topic, "Can everyone benefit from weight training?" and "Does it increase testosterone levels?"

"...Women can suffer from missed or irregular periods, weight gain, acne, thinning hair and more. Men, on the other hand, benefit greatly from high levels of testosterone..."

I don't think they were discouraging women from weight lifting but I think they were apprising them of the possibility that it could produce some changes.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.weighttraining.com/faq/does-exercise-and-weight-training-raise-testosterone-levels

I wonder if the fellow who was recommending that women not lift over 25 pounds was thinking of the testosterone issue (if there is one) when he made that recommendation?
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    From Weighttraining.com under the topic, "Can everyone benefit from weight training?" and "Does it increase testosterone levels?"

"...Women can suffer from missed or irregular periods, weight gain, acne, thinning hair and more. Men, on the other hand, benefit greatly from high levels of testosterone..."

I don't think they were discouraging women from weight lifting but I think they were apprising them of the possibility that it could produce some changes.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.weighttraining.com/faq/does-exercise-and-weight-training-raise-testosterone-levels

I wonder if the fellow who was recommending that women not lift over 25 pounds was thinking of the testosterone issue (if there is one) when he made that recommendation?

That is an article on a weight training site with no source. Not to say is completely false, but plenty of women lift heavy and don't have any of those issues. Some people are already wary or lifting heavy, and I can tell you from experience the benefits far out weight any alleged problems. I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea from an unsubstantiated blog post.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think you would have to lift a heck of a lot of weight for a very long time before there were measurable increases in your testosterone. Currently I do arm exercises (bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc) with between 15-20 lbs depending on the exercises and squats with a 60 pound bar across the shoulders. I've lost a lot of fat and put on a bit of muscle but haven't noticed any of the side effects of too much testosterone such as "missed or irregular periods, weight gain, acne, thinning hair and more" I HAVE noticed my arms and legs getting stronger and less flabby, (according to my husband, "sexy') No negative or undesirable results except that I get cold more easily with less padding.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    LOL, yes, I've had the same thought! Why are all the big weights so BORRRINGGG??
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

That is an article on a weight training site with no source. Not to say is completely false, but plenty of women lift heavy and don't have any of those issues. Some people are already wary or lifting heavy, and I can tell you from experience the benefits far out weight any alleged problems. I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea from an unsubstantiated blog post.

Yeah, please carefully consider the sources when you share something entirely negative about women and weight lifting.

As for the guy in the original article being discussed, he was recommending women not lift above 25 lbs because he is a tool, period, and is probably trying to drum up business for his gym. Many women are very scared of lifting heavy weights, as evidenced by pretty much any lifting thread on MFP, so by saying "not over 25 lbs" he will having women sighing with relief that they don't have to actually lift anything "big" and don't have to worry about getting strong (and turning into MEN OMG). He doesn't have any sort of secret weightlifting knowledge that the rest of us who lift are too dumb to figure out, I can guarantee that.

There are many women on MFP with PCOS and other conditions that come with hormonal imbalance. Lifting heavy weights is actually VERY helpful for us, even if we do have an abundance of testosterone. It does NOT make us "bulk up", grow hair, turn into men, etc.

Lifting heavy has helped me lose fat, which in turn helps ease the symptoms of PCOS. Lifting heavy has also regulated my cycle (no more missed or irregular periods), and it has also helped increase insulin sensitivity (I have insulin resistance, also somewhat common with PCOS). My hormones are balanced like never before at this point. I do not suffer from acne these days, though I certainly have in the past.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I doubt it. Sounds like sexism to me. i.e. people who think women are fundametally weak and that exertion is dangerous for women...

How did the human race survive if heavy exertion like lifting heavy things screwed up women's menstrual cycles? If those symptoms result from following a heavy lifting programme, then how did humans breed in the palaeolithc era and every other era since then where women would have had to do any kind of heavy work? Even being a housewife before the invention of mod cons like hoovers, washing machines etc, women would have had to exert themselves considerably just keeping a house clean.

Weight training does not increase women's testosterone levels enough to produce the symptoms on the list. Additionally, women are supposed to have testosterone in their system, and if it's too low (i.e. lower than it should be for a woman) that can cause health issues . I know a lot of women who have noticed an increase in libido and general health from lifting heavy weights, because it raised their testosterone levels a little. If you look up what happens in a woman's body if her ovaries are removed, a large number of health complications from that are actually due to the fact that she no longer has testosterone in her system. This is produced by the ovaries. IMO there's probably more risk to women from having too low testosterone levels than there is risk from the slightly elevated testosterone levels due to heavy lifting. Massively increased testosterone levels are not good for women, but weight lifting will not increase them by that much.

Also, I've seen the posts of several women on this site who have PCOS (a condition that causes too high testosterone levels and the symptoms on the list in that article) who have posted that their PCOS symptoms got somewhat better, not worse, as a result of lifting heavy, i.e. it seems to have helped to regulate the endocrine system, rather than causing any hormone level to be outside the healthy range.

And one last thing, menstrual disturbances can be caused by undereating or having a too low body fat level, if a woman who is into heavy lifting is having this problem (i.e. menstrual disturbances and loss of hair), this is far more likely to be the cause than testosterone. This is due to the reproductive system producing less female hormones in response to not having enough nutrition to sustain a pregnancy. Her testosterone levels would also be low, and men who eat too little also suffer from low testosterone, which leads to a low sperm count. Low testosterone levels are bad for men and women, and just because women naturally have a lot less testosterone than men, it does not mean that any small increase in testosterone is going to be a bad thing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    8th reason

5-Reasons-Why-Pregnant-Moms-Ignore-Advice-Lift.jpg
  • bcattoes
    Options

I do lift. I never said I didn't. And in 11,000+ posts (or 50+ years being alive, or 30+ years in healthcare) I've never seen one article, study or other evidence that only lifting progressively heavy will prevent bone loss. I'm not trolling, I'm asking someone (anyone) to back up these statements. If they can.

So if you can provide it, please do. Otherwise just keep the insults coming. It's very convincing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I do lift. I never said I didn't. And in 11,000+ posts (or 50+ years being alive, or 30+ years in healthcare) I've never seen one article, study or other evidence that only lifting progressively heavy will prevent bone loss. I'm not trolling, I'm asking someone (anyone) to back up these statements. If they can.

So if you can provide it, please do. Otherwise just keep the insults coming. It's very convincing.

I agree that you're trolling--you come into many threads on lifting and attempt to derail them with your inane questions. Do your own research--I'm assuming you have access to all sorts of wonderful medical journals since you work in health care, and then perhaps you could start your own thread asking these questions rather than being disruptive.