What was your best 5k time?

Options
(I checked the forums but didn't see anything so I apologize if there's another similar post going around.)

I posted last night asking for tips because I was running my first 5k today -- the tips helped SO MUCH. I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing and I ended up finishing fifth (which I wasn't expecting in the slightest).

The winner clocked in at 18 minutes, a couple clocked in at about 32/33, a lady clocked in at 34, and I clocked in at 35. However, upon doing some research when I got home, a beginner female is said to have an average 5k time of about 25 minutes. The four people in front of me were young, athletic, and obviously more experienced than I was yet had times ranging between 30-35 minutes.

So I must ask, what was your best 5k time (whether in a race, training, etc.)? Brag away!

Replies

• Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did my first last weekend, and my time was 31:45. It was warm out, which could have slowed me down a bit. 53 year old female.
  • morgansmama
    morgansmama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you did great!! 5th place is something to be super proud about...even starting a 5k is more than a lot of people do!

My personal best 5k without obstacles was 29 minutes. I ran the Warrior Dash (5k with 12 obstacles) in 40 minutes.

Congrats again on your first 5k!!! :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    First off....let me give you this advice about your first 5K: Your races should be about competing with yourself. It should be about setting your personal best, and not giving a rats ash about where everyone else finishes.

That being said, my first 5K I had a time in the 35 minute bracket, my second 5K (which was about a month later) had a time of 33 minutes.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    (I checked the forums but didn't see anything so I apologize if there's another similar post going around.)

We dont here this very often.Carry on
  • RudHart64
    RudHart64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    3 miles 5.5km under 21 minutes...yesterday's results in my Av.
    Good work on your time... the more you work at it the quicker you become....
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I did my first five km in thirty - five minutes, and I'm embarrassed to tell you my other times because I haven't made much progress. I just love the experience, and don't really focus on time.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I did my first last weekend, and my time was 31:45. It was warm out, which could have slowed me down a bit. 53 year old female.

Wow, this is wonderful, congratulations!
  • kylamaries
    Options
    First off....let me give you this advice about your first 5K: Your races should be about competing with yourself. It should be about setting your personal best, and not giving a rats ash about where everyone else finishes.

That being said, my first 5K I had a time in the 35 minute bracket, my second 5K (which was about a month later) had a time of 33 minutes.

This is true! I loved the experience and the other runners were so very kind :-) I'm super-proud of how I finished, especially since my original goal was simply to run the entire thing, (which I did except for a few brief walking intervals).

That's not a bad time though! Keep up the hard work! :-)
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! :) I've only done a few so far... I clocked in at 29:34.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think saying a beginner can run a 25 min 5k is a bit optimistic. I think beginner female runners probably average 6mp (a 10 min mile pace).

I'm not a beginner, though I never really "race trained" for a 5k. Looking at Athlinks.com it shows my best time is around 24 mins.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My first was 31:09.

I saw the biggest improvement in my time after I using P90X. I lived in the middle of nowhere with no access to a gym and little home equipment and I wanted to add some strength training. I didn't follow the diet but I followed the exercise schedule, minus the yoga.

After I did a 1.5 cycles of P90X (about 4.5-5months) I ran an official 25:24 on hot and humid day on a course with more hills than I was normally used to. Unofficially on my usual flat course, I was able to run about 23:30-24 in a cooler environment.

That was last year though. I slacked off a lot at the end of last summer and now I am around ~27 minutes. Haven't run an official race lately. I need to lose about 20 pounds that I have gained since moving.

I'm 35 and have had asthma since I was about 5. I was pleased with where I was early last summer.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing fantastic!

I just hit PR two weekends ago at 24:23.

I think the average time for a 5k is about 30min.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    FiftyandGettingBetter Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've only run 4 and my best is 36:43. That was 5 years ago, and haven't run, really, since then. I'm wanting to get a sub 30 minute 5k before the end of the year.
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    Did my first 5k 2 years ago...ran it in 39:56...quit smoking and started to actually run more regularly. Happy to say last one I did 3 weeks ago, I came in at 27:08. Not bad for a 37 year old ex smoker :) gunning for 24:00 and currently training for my first half marathon
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    My fastest was 26 mins 50 seconds. My fiance who had not been training or working out much came in at 31 mins, and I was impressed since I run at least 3 miles several days a week, and he doesn't! It would be nice to "win" a race someday, but next time I run I just want to beat my best time.

25 minutes is fast for an "average" beginner. I have been running for a couple years, and I run a 5k as my "daily" run, so I am in pretty good shape, and I am not that fast. 25 minutes is a good goal, but I would not expect a "beginner" to run that. The first 5k I did took me 30 mins, and that was a year ago. Now I am faster.

I like running because I pretty much just compete against myself and work toward self improvement. I am going to try a 10k next month!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing the tips you were given to help with your 5k...maybe you could post a link to the thread?? I'm running my first 5k in 16 days (but who's counting) and could REALLY use some/any tips, as I'm as new to running as one could possibly be lol.
    And BTW...huge congrats on the race and finishing so well.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing the tips you were given to help with your 5k...maybe you could post a link to the thread?? I'm running my first 5k in 16 days (but who's counting) and could REALLY use some/any tips, as I'm as new to running as one could possibly be lol.
    And BTW...huge congrats on the race and finishing so well.

Of course! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985838-running-my-first-5k-tomorrow Thank you and good luck! :-)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    43 years old and male

My best 5K time was 28:15, I generally run 5Ks arond 29:30
  • lucylou1977
    lucylou1977 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5k! Sounds like you enjoyed the experience.

My time on my first one was about 35 minutes. My second (a year later) was just under 27 minutes. I shocked myself with that time - don't think I've ever managed to run it that fast since!

I've just started running again after a long break (I stopped running when pregnant with my daughter - she's 2 now). 5k is my regular, twice-a-week run and I'm running it in around 30 minutes. I don't think I'm the fastest runner out there - I ran in a group a while back and I was one of the stragglers!
  • Pfgirl2006
    Pfgirl2006 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm a huge anomaly. My first 5K was a freak 5k... that took me around 50 minutes to an hour lol my usually time is around 40 minutes so don't feel bad at all! I am a special case though in that I ran my 5ks after have had 3 knees surgeries so I didn't expect to be fast I just wanted to do it and the Dr said it's ok if I go slow and no more then 3-4 miles