What was your best 5k time?

Options

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    34:11, which I'm not very happy with until I realise my first attempt was nearer 43 minutes!
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and had never run a step in my life until May when I commenced the C25K programme with a view to losing weight. It worked but very rapidly I fell in love with running and now get out 3-4 times a week. My first 5K's were around 35 minutes but yesterday morning I managed it in 30:24 which was a new PB for me. This was at a local park run, so alongside other like-minded people which helps me to concentrate my effort! I am aiming to shave off those last 24 seconds before the end of the year.

What helped me improve my speed and stamina was using the treadmill at the gym. I had it set to fairly steep and brisk walk speed and did four or five 10-minute sessions of this over a couple of weeks, punctuated with short, sharp sprints of 30 seconds too. I found when I went back to long running I was able to run up hills that had previously had me walking and breathless and my speed and stamina increased amazingly.....
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    At 41 years of age I ran my first 5km in a time of 25:42. I have to admit that since completing that goal I have been pretty infrequent in my running and my times now would probably be more in the 27-29 bracket.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    11/10/13 - 0:37:30
    29/10/13 - 0:35:13
    31/10/13 - 0:33:58
    4/11/13 - 0:33:44
    14/11/13 - 0:35:39

I noticed after my 4th I was getting too caught up with speed and was enjoying the running less than before. Slowed it down and my last one was really enjoyable.

Enjoy your running!
  • blankney94
    Options
    My best ever time was around 28 minutes. This was when I was in my late 20's, going to the gym, and especially doing spin classes (they gave me super cardio powers!)

I've just got back into running after a long break having kids etc, and have done 3 x 5km races over 6 weeks. My first time was 37:11, second 35:35. Today I went out and hoped to break 35. I got a what I think is a torn muscle near the end - poos!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you've not done what I have. So obsessed with time that I've injured my knee and now can't enjoy running for at least 2 weeks :(
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had to give up running about 20 years ago after a bad accident that meant pins and plates in my right leg and a 15 degree turn between my knee and ankle. After this I found that the impact of running caused too much pain and I had to restrict myself to walking. Then, last year I joined a gym and found that I can run on a treadmill! Yay!
    This summer I completed the C25K programme and my first complete run of 5K was 52 minutes (a fairly slow jog, but it didn't feel like that), I have been running 5K on alternate days since and my time has come down to 37 minutes but I don't seem to be able to get to much lower.
    There was a charity run at the gym this week and the fastest treadmill 5K was 16 minutes (24 year old PE teacher ), I'm never going to get that quick but 30 minutes would be good.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Apparently the world record is 12 minutes something. Can you imagine how fast they must be running?!

Was amazed at the weekend - I was in a 5km race, but other people on the same course were doing 10km, half marathons and full marathons. Some of the marathon runners were going past me at sprinting pace - and that was near the end of their marathon! I have to put the blinkers on and remind myself I'm only competing against me.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ran my first one end of March ( my local UK Park Run ) and came in at 24'59. That surprised and inspired me enough to get hooked on running and I've since done about 6 more with a current PB of 21'48. Also done 2 10k races and training for a half marathon in March and full marathon in May!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I ran my 1st in Mid August at about 265lbs and took about 51mins. This morning set a new treadmill PB of 35mins for 5km. Outdoors, the last park run I did was a couple of weeks ago and I ran 36:24 (a new PB). So I'm slow but improving as my fitness increases and my weight drops. Back in March I was 303lbs and couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without puffing and panting. Now I regularly run between 5 and 9kms and am building up distance as well as my 5k speed having signed up for a 10k next May and a half marathon next October.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    My first 5k 6 months ago took 34 mins. Currently, my best is 29:04. My goal is to get under 28:30, although at the moment that's playing second fiddle to training for a half marathon in February.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This summer I completed the C25K programme and my first complete run of 5K was 52 minutes and my time has come down to 37 minutes but I don't seem to be able to get to much lower.
    35:31 today! Like The Flash, but fatter and older! :laugh:
  • daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    did 25:35 today (ok, on a treadmill). Determined to crack 25 mins soon. 47 year old male, one year's running experience.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    At age 18 my PR was 24:25. At age 30, my PR was 21:40. Only ran one this year, two weeks post-marathon, and my time was 22:58.
  • jaskthotmail
    Options
    5K 21:08 PR
    10K 47:44 PR
    Half Marathon 1:53:15 PR
    All at age 31
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was 25:24.
    My PR was 25:07.

I've gotten slower since I started running more long distance, but I still want to run a sub-25 5K one day...
  • warriordude07run
    warriordude07run Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First 5k was 33 minutes at 290 lbs in January of 2012
    Currently have a PR of 21:45 (June 2013)
    Training to go sub 20 on December 7th.
    Been running for two years.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was in 2005 where I ran right at 28 minutes.

I just ran 19:18 this past Spring at the age of 45.
    My best time when I was in HS was 15:32. First split was 4:35. I am now 20 years older and have a goal. I want to set the fastest 5k time for a 45 year old male in the usa. I start my training tomorrow. I have three years to complete this goal.

Pete Magill holds the US record for 45-49 year olds at 14:34 (set when he was 46), so you have some work to do.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K in August, and my time was 35 minutes. I still average a 10.5-11 minute mile, but I'm not really going for speed. I enjoy running, I'm still working on my endurance, so I do what I can! :) Congrats on your first!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on sat. 30:12 I was pleased. Excited to try and beat that time!