What was your best 5k time?

Options

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I'm a huge anomaly. My first 5K was a freak 5k... that took me around 50 minutes to an hour lol my usually time is around 40 minutes so don't feel bad at all! I am a special case though in that I ran my 5ks after have had 3 knees surgeries so I didn't expect to be fast I just wanted to do it and the Dr said it's ok if I go slow and no more then 3-4 miles

Wow, good for you! The guy who won our race today had a knee problem and limped/ran the entire route. My heart's with you but you seem determined enough to keep pushing through. Don't beat yourself up about that first 5k though! :-)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, I power walk five miles a day, 10 on Sundays. At my normal pace, a 5K would take me just over 37 minutes.
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was told to start running as part of my physiotherapy after tearing my left ACL last December. Never was a runner before that. Since I ran 8.5k in 50 mins last Sunday, I'd say my time at 5k was probably around 30 mins.

I'd like to go faster but when I do I get quite a bit of knee pain due to my uneven gait caused by the darn missing ACL :cry:
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K on April 28th. I clocked in at 27:38 and won my division. I will be 56 years old in a few months. I just started a running program in early January of this year. Keep at it! It was a fun experience for me to have my family and grandkids cheering me on. I am planning on running another 5k in early June.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I "ran" in 40 mins. My personal best was 34:15 and I won second for my division. That was about a year ago. I'm hoping to get sub 30 in the next year.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Haven't done a 5k run in a race yet (did a 5k mud run, but cannot really compare :tongue: ), but in my timed runs I run about 28:00 minutes.

You can compare your time to other runners in different age/sex classes here: http://www.pace-calculator.com/5k-pace-comparison.php?pace=676
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Only just started running outside, so my best 5k would be on the treadmill, with a few hills programmed in, and I think after a few weeks of running, I got a best of just over 24 minutes.

For me, that is good because I have emphysema, and my lung function is 68% as opposed to the usual 84% for my age group. (38).
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have only done one and was minimal training directed at timing more towards endurance. Finished in 31:53. 36 year old female.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd love to break 30 minutes but may never get there. Last weekend in a 37-degree drizzle, I did 35:28. I was 674th out of over 1100 women, which I thought was respectable at age 60, but there were a couple of 66-year olds who beat me!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    While it wasn't a race so much as it was just me out doing my thing, 32 minutes.
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    My first 5k time was 27:12, my next 24.52, then I ran a 23:11. I just finished a 1/2 marathon on 5 May time was 2:30:56.
  • workavoidance
    Options
    Only 5k I ever did was 21 something. Didn't train for it. However, I had been a daily distance runner for about the previous 3 years. I think I was about 23? I came in 4th in women's, so I dunno if your stat for a beginner female is all that accurate.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    28:28 has been my best. That was last weekend in the freezing rain with hills and it was the first one I did without any walk breaks. I had hoped for a little faster since I was still in the 28 mark even with walk breaks at the previous 2, but I know it will get better.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Around a 29, but that was a miracle run for me. I shoot for under 40.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I have yet to actually run in race (my first one is in June!), but the last last year I finished in approx 41:00 (pushing a double stroller) and the year before I finished in approx 47:00 min (9 months pregnant). haha This year I'm really looking forward to having the kiddos meet me at the finish line. I've primarily been training on a treadmill, but lately I've been able to get outside and the route I'm running takes me 25-30 min. My goal is to finish in 30:00 min...I'm really nervous!:)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    About 28:30, but that was several years ago when I was in kick-a$s shape from rowing. Since then with my sporadic running, it's about a 32-34 minutes. If I were going to train and get serious about it and actually care about my time rather than just finishing it comfortably, I'd aim for about 28 again.

25 minutes is a very aggressive pace for a beginner.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My best race time for 5k is 25:31. I've done a few of them and usually place at least top 10 for my age group. (36 years old). So I don't think a 25 minute time is very realistic for a beginner.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    This is a great post! I have yet to actually run in race (my first one is in June!), but the last last year I finished in approx 41:00 (pushing a double stroller) and the year before I finished in approx 47:00 min (9 months pregnant). haha This year I'm really looking forward to having the kiddos meet me at the finish line. I've primarily been training on a treadmill, but lately I've been able to get outside and the route I'm running takes me 25-30 min. My goal is to finish in 30:00 min...I'm really nervous!:)

This is really inspirational, so congratulations! I'm sure you'll do fine :-) You have the motivation for it and that's most of the battle, right? Plus, those are great times with all the extra weight (especially the fact that you ran while 9 mo. pregnant; MAJOR kudos to you!)!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first 5K last month... it wasn't officially timed as it was a color run but I finished it (by my own timekeeping) right at 30min (give or take a minute). I didn't make it running the whole time as there were some real whopping hills in there that I wasn't expecting that made me walk a bit. Before the official run, I had only completed 3.6mi consecutively 2x.... (on the treadmill my 5K time was about 40min)...my normal daily run is 1-2miles.

Congrats on making it through your first 5K! The most exciting part for me was that I actually did it... and I think running amongst others really brought out my best because it was my best time. I just signed up for my first Competitive 5K in September.... we'll see how I do :)

Keep running and loving it!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My best one was 28.5 and was the 2nd female in and 1st in my age group!!