Fixs for chocolate cravings?

Options
124»

Replies

• twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow divine filled chocolates with caramel. 130 calories per serving and so rich you won't want more than that.

I was going to suggest those too - delicious! I especially like the peanut butter ones!

I get the "fun size" candy bars or packages (lately my craving has been M&Ms) - about 70 cal - I pack them with my lunch to take to work so that's all I have (I can't go in the pantry and get more). It satisfies my craving.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Maybe it's just me - I am the biggest sweets fanatic.

And I still eat it, not trying to curb it. Even during cravings, I just have one piece, it usually curbs me from binge eating it. But I still eat everything I want, and lose weight. I just exercise to make up for it, which I used to do rarely. One or two bites of chocolate is not bad for you, unless you just don't have the self control. Try Mini Reeses if that's your thing. I love Ghirardelli, and one square is 50-57 calories, depending on the flavor (caramel, raspberry, orange, etc).

For me walking my dog his little walk is 76 calories, so I can burn that chocolate off no problem.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump for these ideas
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The Fiber One 90 Calorie Bars are my favorite. I also like their Brownies microwaved for a few seconds! (take out of package first!) Dole makes dark chocolate covered banana slices that are really good! 100 calorie packs.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Getting away from processed foods has helped me eliminate (and I do mean eliminate) my cravings. I used to be a big fan of energy bars (Clif Bars, Power Bars) and I still buy them for my partner. But I can stare them in the wrapper and walk on by.

I got over my craving for chocolate by using what I call bridge foods. Here's what I mean:

130219-substitutions.jpg

Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips were one of my “Before” snacks. I’d dump a healthy handful or two into a bowl for my chocolate fix. Note the calorie counts above and the amounts. The package defines a serving as 16 chips/80 calories, but a handful could easily contain 32 chips. Most of those calories came from fat.

These days grapes are my after-workout snack. I usually eat two cups of them. They contain a lot of water, so they’re pretty filling, and the red grapes especially are nice and sweet.

I didn’t turn to grapes immediately. Raisins were my “bridge” food. They were sweeter by volume than grapes and less fattening than chocolate. But a half cup of raisins had almost as many calories as four times the volume of grapes.

We still have several bags of Ghirardelli chips in the house because my partner eats them. They don’t tempt me at all, but I could eat them if I wanted to. I ate 32 chips on September 15, 2012, and haven’t had any since. I just haven’t felt the need.

In fact, a friend sent us some chocolate for Christmas. I had one serving; my partner had the rest of the box (several more servings; I forget how many). If anything, the chocolate now felt too rich for my taste.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Getting away from processed foods has helped me eliminate (and I do mean eliminate) my cravings. I used to be a big fan of energy bars (Clif Bars, Power Bars) and I still buy them for my partner. But I can stare them in the wrapper and walk on by.

I got over my craving for chocolate by using what I call bridge foods. Here's what I mean:

130219-substitutions.jpg

Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips were one of my “Before” snacks. I’d dump a healthy handful or two into a bowl for my chocolate fix. Note the calorie counts above and the amounts. The package defines a serving as 16 chips/80 calories, but a handful could easily contain 32 chips. Most of those calories came from fat.

These days grapes are my after-workout snack. I usually eat two cups of them. They contain a lot of water, so they’re pretty filling, and the red grapes especially are nice and sweet.

I didn’t turn to grapes immediately. Raisins were my “bridge” food. They were sweeter by volume than grapes and less fattening than chocolate. But a half cup of raisins had almost as many calories as four times the volume of grapes.

We still have several bags of Ghirardelli chips in the house because my partner eats them. They don’t tempt me at all, but I could eat them if I wanted to. I ate 32 chips on September 15, 2012, and haven’t had any since. I just haven’t felt the need.

In fact, a friend sent us some chocolate for Christmas. I had one serving; my partner had the rest of the box (several more servings; I forget how many). If anything, the chocolate now felt too rich for my taste.

@Ejourneys .... Great advice!
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough, for me, bananas are AMAZING for chocolate cravings. I guess it's the smoothness, creaminess and sweetness. The fact that you can actually feel more FULL after eating a banana than from the same amount of calories worth of chocolate is an added bonus.