"You're so lucky to be so thin"

Options
Wat.

I hate when people say this to me. I somewhat understand in the cases people that eat McDonald's every day and never go to the gym but I hate when people assume I'm one of those "naturally skinny" people. Most of the people that say this to me are fat and too lazy to do anything about it so they make excuses for themselves by thinking that everyone that's skinny is naturally that way.

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
/rant

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    That's when I reply: Lucky is what lazy people call dedicated people.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just ask them if they want to hit the gym with me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes I had someone say this to me on Friday, she said you're so lucky you're slim and look good in skinny jeans....apparently she looks like a carrot in them.

I didn't bother to remind her of how I looked after I had my last baby and 'luck' had no part in the difference of then and now.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to when someone says this to me the first time. I can finally see changes in the mirror (after 50 lbs) and I am starting to lose my chubby cheeks. It seems to be making me look younger as well. I am already thinking about how I am going to reply to those people. I am thinking something along the lines of:

"it's better than being a fat lazy slob"

"yea, I'm lucky that I started taking care of my health and worked my fat butt off to lose one hundred and fifty pounds, thanks for noticing"

and for the ones who aren't quite so crass and offensive;

"Want to know how you can get lucky too?"
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

That's an awesome reply!
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister!

Sometimes I want to say "Actually, I got this way by taking a new diet pill - It's called Get-Off-Your-*kitten*-and-Work-For-It"

But in the end, I don't - because I have some truly amazing friends who struggle with their weight, and I know that their comments are not an attempt to make little of my accomplishments, but are rooted in their own struggle with self-value.

Keep kicking *kitten* and doing what you do :)

p.s. - I've recently started IF - It sounds like your schedule is much more intense than mine, though - but I LOVE it, it seems to work well for my body/schedule.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I get that also. or when weight comes up and I say I used to be obese I get the "no way, your way to tiny to have ever been obese" SMH.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, before I started dieting I would look at a lot of people and think that, "They're so lucky, they're skinny and here I am, fat".
    But then I got up and started working my *kitten* off, and now I really do realize that a lot of people who are thin weren't born that way, and for all I know, they're doing exactly what I do now.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just ask them if they want to hit the gym with me.

That's fabulous! I think I'm going to use that line - if you don't mind!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."

This. I get a lot of "You look great!"s, and I love hearing it, but I almost always think "Yeah, and I have to keep eating healthier and going to the gym or I'll never get to my goal weight".
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I love the pin on pinterest "you want to know a new diet secret? There are no secrets, stop eating garbage and get off the couch"

I was naturally skinny until college came along. I gained 50 pounds in 2 years. Now people tell me i look great, how did I do it and stay tiny after all these years? Um... I bust my butt, I watch what I eat... their response "oh, well you're not married and don't have kids, that's why".

That has nothing to do with it! IT's mind over matter. If you think because I have a husband and kids i'll let myself go, you've got another thing coming at you. I've worked too hard these past 2 years to get back into shape (on and off) but I'm HEALTHY.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I can understand the frustration if it is people who know you really well and know how much effort you put in.

But, you can't really get angry at people who can't tell just by looking at you that you work your butt off. Especially if they are big and don't have an understanding of what it takes to get a good body with muscle definition.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say "thank you, good genetics I guess." It's polite and if a stranger is willing to go there then I'm pretty sure that they're not going to listen to reason.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say "thank you, good genetics I guess." It's polite and if a stranger is willing to go there then I'm pretty sure that they're not going to listen to reason.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Does this mean y ou eat one meal a day, every day? Or just when you are working out?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

/rant

Does this mean y ou eat one meal a day, every day? Or just when you are working out?
    Both. I workout every day and eat one meal directly after.
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options

That's an awesome reply!

Agreed! Gotta write that one down :D
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Exactly! No need to have such ugly responses. What is wrong with people???? Sure, sometimes people say things that might be insensitive, but I don't think they do it out of malice. Maybe it's driven by their own insecurities, maybe they are just ignorant. But be an adult and handle it like an adult. No need to channel your inner teenager. Or just take the compliment!