"You're so lucky to be so thin"

Options

Replies

• Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister!

Sometimes I want to say "Actually, I got this way by taking a new diet pill - It's called Get-Off-Your-*kitten*-and-Work-For-It"

But in the end, I don't - because I have some truly amazing friends who struggle with their weight, and I know that their comments are not an attempt to make little of my accomplishments, but are rooted in their own struggle with self-value.

Keep kicking *kitten* and doing what you do :)

p.s. - I've recently started IF - It sounds like your schedule is much more intense than mine, though - but I LOVE it, it seems to work well for my body/schedule.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister!

Sometimes I want to say "Actually, I got this way by taking a new diet pill - It's called Get-Off-Your-*kitten*-and-Work-For-It"

But in the end, I don't - because I have some truly amazing friends who struggle with their weight, and I know that their comments are not an attempt to make little of my accomplishments, but are rooted in their own struggle with self-value.

Keep kicking *kitten* and doing what you do :)

p.s. - I've recently started IF - It sounds like your schedule is much more intense than mine, though - but I LOVE it, it seems to work well for my body/schedule.
    This is so true and you really don't know their struggle the comment probably wasn't about you but about their own feelings about themselves....be a good person and encourage them.
  • ruthremsing
    ruthremsing Posts: 11
    Options
    ok, see i'm one of the 5'8 at 106, i still to this day have ppl say to me, do you EVER eat? See i take after my dad's side of the family, the women are tall skinny and flat chested. I have stuggled my WHOLE life to get to a weight where i'll be happy at. My mom used to tell me have 3 kids and you'll have all the weight i want, well guess what? i'm at 108, not HAPPY about it at all. Then i get the i'd kill to have your body. yeah well i'd kill to have your metabloism (sp). Even now at 36 i hear the whispers, alot of ppl think i starve myself i don't. All i want is to get to my goal of 135 or more and be happy about my self when i look in the miorr.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Well... I heard another version of this the other day from someone super skinny - I mean bones sticking out - she said she hated how guys can just eat what they want and not gain weight. Now... I know it is a little easier but I thought it was odd coming from her - I know that she doesn't work out to stay thin - she just doesn't eat. And oddly enough when eat she does it's junk - candy, popcorn, cheese fries etc. I just kept my mouth shut.
  • ruthremsing
    Options
    I know some ppl like that, but see i'm not one of them. They heaviest i've ever been was after having my kids. That's when i looked good and felt good about myself. Alot of ppl think that i'm blessed to have this problem, well i'm not it's a Flipping curse. I have even started drinking ensure with EVERY meal, hoping that it'll do some help with gaining weight. I chase after 3 little girls all day long, i do yoga.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."
    I love this answer! very smart!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually respond, "Thanks, but it's not luck, it's math. It's a matter of figuring out how much I have to exercise to eat what I want."

I used to be an "eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight" person when I was young. I'm not that person anymore. I have to work for it.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone could try MFP for two or three weeks. It is so freaking hard to grasp the work that goes into losing weight until you try it. Before MFP, I admit *shameface* I'd feel jealous when I'd see fit and healthy people. Ignorance comes so naturally until you get in someone else's shoes. *hugs for OP* That person could have easily been me 3 months ago (though I'd NEVER say it to someone's face like that...) I'm so sorry. TnT

After MFP though, now whenever I see fit people walking around campus, or see people that are overweight working out in the gym or making healthy choices, I wanna cheer them on, and I admire them. Now its insulting to think of even thinking "You're lucky to be so thin" about anyone like what I did before.

When people see the changes I've made in myself, the most common response I get: "I could never do that calorie counting stuff." The only thing keeping you from looking good is the "never".
    Same rule applies to:
    "I never have the time to work out" (make time. If you want it, you can make time for it)
    "I'd never have the money to go to the gym" (Money is not an object. And there are Y's EVERYWHERE now with free/cheap access. you only need to look. I work out at home with resistance bands, no gym needed)
    "I could never do a diet". (I said the same thing. Healthy choices/substitutions, one step at a time ANYONE can do it)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    People who say that don't know about all of the hard work you have put into it. People say that to me too and I just smile and say something like "Thank you so much, but unfortunately I wasn't one of the lucky ones! I work hard every day". People who have known me for a long time know that I wasn't always at a healthy weight so they just commend me on my hard work.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Or "OMG I'd do anything to be so skinny!"

No, you wouldn't.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body. I admire those that have never allowed themselves to get out of shape, and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. That is one of my greatest regrets that over my adult life, I have been active and at a healthy weight, and have not maintained it for various reasons/excuses. The bottom line is it is hard work and takes dedication, and I applaud anyone who is able to do this.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    That's when I reply: Lucky is what lazy people call dedicated people.

Amen to that, now please share how I get my white girl *kitten* to look like the girl on the right lol :laugh:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Wat.

I hate when people say this to me. I somewhat understand in the cases people that eat McDonald's every day and never go to the gym but I hate when people assume I'm one of those "naturally skinny" people. Most of the people that say this to me are fat and too lazy to do anything about it so they make excuses for themselves by thinking that everyone that's skinny is naturally that way.

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Anyone else experience this?

I am glad you posted this thread. People often tell me "I wish I could eat like that". Usually they are implying that they wish they could be thin/fit and eat the type/quantity of foods I do.

My response is usually "You can. Just burn as many calories as you consume every week".

"Lucky" is the wrong word. Are my friends who run 200+ miles a month and lift weights "lucky" to be able to eat more calories? I think they earned every bite!

Genetics do not determine everything. Many fit people (including myself) have obese relatives with diabetes, etc. Instead of being jealous of the success of others we should congratulate them and/or focus more on improving our own health
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    URGH. I know your rage. I'm not inclined to be fat: I've never been overweight, but I was also more or less trained by my parents to eat intuitively, was an active child, and I was in sports throughout high school and had to walk a pretty decent distance to class in college. After I noticed I was gaining weight when I started a full time job, I started going to the gym at least twice a week.

But then I sit at dinner with my friends, and one of them never fails to mention how it's my "metabolism" any time we're eating and she talks about how overweight she is. "Well, we don't all have your metabolism." It makes me so angry! I eat less than her and work out harder than her (she works out like five times a year), but she'll never admit it because she wants every excuse in the book to say I'll always be thin and she'll always be overweight. I love my friend dearly, but she uses my fitness as an excuse to avoid getting fit herself. I have a similar problem with my coworkers who are overweight and then feel free to comment on my weight when I haven't even said anything. If I then say I just don't eat as much and work out, they say "Well, you're different!" No, no I'm not, most of you are just lazy.

I should also mention I was undiagnosed hypothyroid for a couple of years and STILL managed to maintain a healthy weight and even lose some, and when I bring that up, people dismiss it with the same old excuses that I'm "different" and "lucky".

^Sorry, that was totally a rant. I just get so fed up with it!

Oh man, I hear ya! I have basically the same circumstances (never technically overweight, untreated hypothyroidism) and my therapist tries to tell me she can't lose weight because she doesn't get enough sleep (total bs excuse). She says she doesn't have time to go to the gym or anything. There's a gym walking distance from her office, if she really wanted to workout she could skip lunch and go workout. Also, diet is so much more important than exercise if we're talking exclusively about weight loss. I've only see her eat a few times and these are the things I've seen her consume: hot dogs, pizza, cake, cookies, and candy. Only the cake was at some sort of celebration. It was my birthday and only I ate one bite and threw the rest out. My jimmies are rustled.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."

^^ This

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body.

Wow, what a condescending thing to say. Did you totally miss the point of the post?

When I was a young teenager, I could not gain weight, no matter what I tried. I was VERY thin. But healthy and active. Some people were so rude, constantly made ignorant comments, alluded to eating disorders. I would eat anything and everything I could, all the time, including "garbage", just to try to get some curves. I was so self conscious and insecure, I HATED my body. I would have done anything to put on 5 lbs. And it was the judgemental people in the background saying "it makes me sick to see how thin you are" that made me feel even worse.

Ugh. That comment just took me right back to 7th grade.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body.

Chances are that's all they are eating. I used to be that way, there were some days I would eat chocolate bars all day, but that's all I would eat. Eating a Hershey's bar every 2 hours for 12 hours is 6 chocolate bars but only 1320 calories. I would often replace meals with ice cream or other junk food so it would appear that I was eating a lot, but I wasn't eating regular meals on top of that. It definitely wasn't healthy and I was certainly out of shape, but it wasn't as if I were eating endless amounts of calories and not putting on a pound.
  • ruthremsing
    Options

Wow, what a condescending thing to say. Did you totally miss the point of the post?

When I was a young teenager, I could not gain weight, no matter what I tried. I was VERY thin. But healthy and active. Some people were so rude, constantly made ignorant comments, alluded to eating disorders. I would eat anything and everything I could, all the time, including "garbage", just to try to get some curves. I was so self conscious and insecure, I HATED my body. I would have done anything to put on 5 lbs. And it was the judgemental people in the background saying "it makes me sick to see how thin you are" that made me feel even worse.

Ugh. That comment just took me right back to 7th grade.

this is the thing i STILL get to this day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Chances are that's all they are eating. I used to be that way, there were some days I would eat chocolate bars all day, but that's all I would eat. Eating a Hershey's bar every 2 hours for 12 hours is 6 chocolate bars but only 1320 calories. I would often replace meals with ice cream or other junk food so it would appear that I was eating a lot, but I wasn't eating regular meals on top of that. It definitely wasn't healthy and I was certainly out of shape, but it wasn't as if I were eating endless amounts of calories and not putting on a pound.

That's the other thing, if someone eats dinner with me and sees how much I eat they probably think I eat a lot unless I tell them that dinner is the only meal I eat.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts when people say why are you eating only healthy food, you're thin as it is. I eat healthy food because I like it. I go to the gym because there's some body composition changes I want to make & I like the way it feels. I don't make comments about them being chubby & constantly eating fast food at work /end rant