"You're so lucky to be so thin"

Options

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had people tell me how 'lucky' I am to be fit and that I don't have to work out....

Erm I'm slim and fit BECAUSE I work out. I'd be a big ol' mess if I didn't!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Anyone else experience this?

Does this mean y ou eat one meal a day, every day? Or just when you are working out?
    Both. I workout every day and eat one meal directly after.

Wow, that is dedication. How many calories is your meal? I am always surprised how fast i can consume calories compared to how slow it is to take them off.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This was one of my biggest pet peeves. It bothers me more now that I had to work hard to get back in shape than it used to, but even when I was the young, tiny girl eating junk all the time it bothered me. Even when I did eat junk all the time, it wasn't like I was eating 5,000 calories a day and staying stick thin. People would see me eating McDonald's every day and extrapolate that to three meals a day, but in reality, if I had McDonald's, I probably would have a salad later, or nothing at all because I would still be full. If I was blessed with anything, it wasn't an outrageous metabolism, but rather a very accurate hunger meter that told me when I'd had enough calories for the day. I think people use it as an excuse for themselves. If thin people are "blessed" with a great metabolism, then there is a reason why they are not thin themselves. I also hate the "we eat the same thing, how can you be so much thinner." Yes, we may be eating the same burger or pint of ice cream right now, but when I go home, I will have a salad or a piece of fruit, while you will have another full meal. The worst was one friend I would eat at the dining hall with during college. We would usually get the same thing, but I would get a tiny portion and her's would be three times the size and she would go on and on about how we were eating the same things but somehow I stayed so much thinner than her.
    Anyway, now that I'm done ranting, I do eat healthier and exercise more now. I do try to recognize the fact that I am "lucky"in one aspect, not being thinner, but filling up easily. I have always eaten small portions and while I love desserts, I'm the type of person who can have one or two cookies and be totally satisfied for the next few hours or the type of person who can have a burger for lunch and be full for the rest of the day. I know that it's not as easy for some people, and since I've always been easily satisfiable with small amounts of food, I can't say I really know what it's like to really deny myself.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say "thank you, good genetics I guess." It's polite and if a stranger is willing to go there then I'm pretty sure that they're not going to listen to reason.

Good point.

I had this big old lady rudely say to me in the locker room at the Y: "how do you stay so thin?" in a really nasty voice.
    I wanted to ask her "how do you stay so fat?"
    But that would be rude...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say "thank you, good genetics I guess." It's polite and if a stranger is willing to go there then I'm pretty sure that they're not going to listen to reason.

Best answer ever
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."

This. I get a lot of "You look great!"s, and I love hearing it, but I almost always think "Yeah, and I have to keep eating healthier and going to the gym or I'll never get to my goal weight".
    I agree with this!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    That's when I reply: Lucky is what lazy people call dedicated people.

That's an awesome reply!

:laugh: :drinker: I am going to hang that up in my office!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes it's pretty annoying. A lot of people at my job say that. Even worse when they attribute not only my leanness but also my amount of muscle mass to being born the right race. It's an easy way to make themselves feel better about not having the discipline I guess.

Diminish others hard work, reduce it to luck, ha we are equals now.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yes. I run over 100 miles month and log everything I eat and have been for 2 years. I just "'yeah,' I am. Want to join me for a 5-miler tomorrow?"
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Thats when you kindly reply "I wish I were so lucky! I actuallly have to keep careful track of what I eat and get to the gym or I gain weight."

People don't want to admit this is true for themselves as well.
    That would require discipline and self control.
    Something they are obviously lacking in their lives.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Yes it's pretty annoying. A lot of people at my job say that. Even worse when they attribute not only my leanness but also my amount of muscle mass to being born the right race. It's an easy way to make themselves feel better about not having the discipline I guess.

Diminish others hard work, reduce it to luck, ha we are equals now.

Race. Really?
    Wow. Just wow...
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I have to admit, before I started dieting I would look at a lot of people and think that, "They're so lucky, they're skinny and here I am, fat".
    But then I got up and started working my *kitten* off, and now I really do realize that a lot of people who are thin weren't born that way, and for all I know, they're doing exactly what I do now.

This. I was like this up until a few years ago until I realized that there is not a fairy or Genie that grants wishes and poof I'm a size two.
    Now I'm trying to teach this to my children who assume that all good things in life just magically happen. Wish I had taught them this concept at a much earlier age.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's called Consistency, Discipline and Dedication. Not "Luck". Everyone can be reasonable slim if he/she is consistent, dedicated and committed. Change doesn't happen overnight, but if you are very CDD overtime you will see amazing results. If you keep logging and going to the gym you can maintain it in the long haul. It's not rocket science.
  • beastmode1414
    Options
    Very Annoying! I have been pretty skinny my whole life and it was hard to bulk. either way all great results take hard work and dedication!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Good point! I may have to use this!!
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Good point.

I had this big old lady rudely say to me in the locker room at the Y: "how do you stay so thin?" in a really nasty voice.
    I wanted to ask her "how do you stay so fat?"
    But that would be rude...

I have definitely thought about saying this before!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yep. Luck has nothing to do with it.
    For me, going to 3 spin/2 weight training sessions does.

OP: Do you say you fast 20 hours!!? That's amazing. How do you not pass out? Because I'd totally pass out...lol.:happy:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    11hz4na.jpg
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    ***TOKEN ODDBALL RESPONSE***

i have been skinny all my life. i've heard that ("You're so lucky...") all my life. prior to a couple of years ago, when i was completely sedentary, the only thing i could say is "Yeah..."

now i work my @ss off every day (for fibromyalgia, not weight) and I LOOK JUST ABOUT THE SAME. wtf can i say now? "Yes, i was incredibly blessed with a slender build AND a high metabolism, AND i work out daily, but it doesn't really matter what i eat or how much i exercise, i pretty much always look just about like this..."??????? no one wants to hear that. :grumble:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    URGH. I know your rage. I'm not inclined to be fat: I've never been overweight, but I was also more or less trained by my parents to eat intuitively, was an active child, and I was in sports throughout high school and had to walk a pretty decent distance to class in college. After I noticed I was gaining weight when I started a full time job, I started going to the gym at least twice a week.

But then I sit at dinner with my friends, and one of them never fails to mention how it's my "metabolism" any time we're eating and she talks about how overweight she is. "Well, we don't all have your metabolism." It makes me so angry! I eat less than her and work out harder than her (she works out like five times a year), but she'll never admit it because she wants every excuse in the book to say I'll always be thin and she'll always be overweight. I love my friend dearly, but she uses my fitness as an excuse to avoid getting fit herself. I have a similar problem with my coworkers who are overweight and then feel free to comment on my weight when I haven't even said anything. If I then say I just don't eat as much and work out, they say "Well, you're different!" No, no I'm not, most of you are just lazy.

I should also mention I was undiagnosed hypothyroid for a couple of years and STILL managed to maintain a healthy weight and even lose some, and when I bring that up, people dismiss it with the same old excuses that I'm "different" and "lucky".

^Sorry, that was totally a rant. I just get so fed up with it!