• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    jumprope

that exercise ball
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Another vote for dumb bells - it really doesn't matter that much where you get them.

and here is a vote against self appointed grammar police - get over yourself!
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't believe she can do pullups. While it's a good purchase for the future, it's not a good idea for her to purchase now. (I have this one as well, but I got it for $20 without the straps.)

You are correct, sir :laugh: Trying to do a pullup now would be pretty comical to watch.

I love all of your choices, aak. You seriously are the best. You even went as far as picking me out girl stuff :flowerforyou: I love the pink blossom mat. I also REALLY like that dumbbell set! Checking for availability now on those two things and heading to the store very soon or I will just order them if they don't have them local.

I notice you suggested a balance ball. I have seen these for years but have never tried one. I kind of always assumed I'd fall off lol. What good would this do for me? The only thing I have really seen done with them is sitting on one at a desk and laying on one to do sit ups.

Jen
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't believe she can do pullups. While it's a good purchase for the future, it's not a good idea for her to purchase now. (I have this one as well, but I got it for $20 without the straps.)

You are correct, sir :laugh: Trying to do a pullup now would be pretty comical to watch.

I love all of your choices, aak. You seriously are the best. You even went as far as picking me out girl stuff :flowerforyou: I love the pink blossom mat. I also REALLY like that dumbbell set! Checking for availability now on those two things and heading to the store very soon or I will just order them if they don't have them local.

I notice you suggested a balance ball. I have seen these for years but have never tried one. I kind of always assumed I'd fall off lol. What good would this do for me? The only thing I have really seen done with them is sitting on one at a desk and laying on one to do sit ups.

Jen

I couldn't do pull-ups a year ago, either. Now I can. Whatevs.

Balance balls are a baffling piece of equipment. I never understood why people bother with them. They remind me of those 80's aerobics videos where people would just make up exercises.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

Jen

I couldn't do pull-ups a year ago, either. Now I can. Whatevs.

Balance balls are a baffling piece of equipment. I never understood why people bother with them. They remind me of those 80's aerobics videos where people would just make up exercises.

Balance balls focus heavily on your stabilizer muscles. A very excellent tool for strengthening your core if you're using it right. And yes, you fall off the ball quite frequently when you're starting. Just make sure you're not exercising near sharp objects.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Balance balls focus heavily on your stabilizer muscles. A very excellent tool for strengthening your core if you're using it right. And yes, you fall off the ball quite frequently when you're starting. Just make sure you're not exercising near sharp objects.

Yeah, but you could just do yoga... more functional and does not require a gigantic, uncollapsible piece of equipment.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What a great gift! I say treat yourself to something special, workout clothes or some such. Then use the rest for other expenses.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

Yeah, but you could just do yoga... more functional and does not require a gigantic, uncollapsible piece of equipment.

They have a big plastic plug you can pull out if you need to deflate it for space purposes. The air goes out in maybe 15-30 seconds.

However, I do agree that Yoga is excellent for your core, flexibility, injury prevention and about a dozen other things. A big blue bouncy ball would be less of a need, but still functional if you're willing to use it properly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I got a $50 gift certificate to Walmart for Mommy's Day! I want to get some equipment or tools to help in my journey. Do you have any suggestions?

I was looking at this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Medical-Deluxe-Folding-Exercise-Peddler-with-Electronic-Display/12248733
    but not sure how great of a work out I'd get.

The only things I currently have are 4lbs weights and a 4lbs kettle bell.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Jen

A good duffel bag, duct tape and a couple bags of sand!!!
  • aigoooooo
    aigoooooo Posts: 31
    Options
    Honestly, I'd invest in heavier free weights. If you're a home exerciser (I am) you'll need heavier than 4lbs. I have 5's, 8's, 12's (I would have more if I could, I'd have a field day with a gift certificate haha!) and some barbells of my boyfriends that I can add up more on for heavier weighted stuff. I don't know about the gadgets. I would honestly just get more weights to challenge yourself with. If you're big into kettlebells you'll definitely want more than 4lbs eventually. My sister has a 40... I keep trying to figure out a way to sneak away with it without hurting myself or her noticing haha.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have a mini pedal machine and it's not a great workout...it's supposed to be adjustable to increase tension but I don't find that it works very well so there's not much resistance...that said, I have it at work under my desk and use it all day while I'm working, I figure it's better than sitting stationary all day. It may not be an amazing workout but at least it's some movement when I'm forced to sit in one place for a long time. It would also be good for situations where you're sitting and watching tv or surfing the net, anything is better than nothing!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have to echo my earlier comment again after visiting my local Walmart - dumb bells were the only thing in the fitness area that weren't an obvious drop off in quality from what you would find at a gym or a higher end fitness store. Other things would work, but the dumb bells are the only thing I would have bought there.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have a friend who uses them well. He'll stand on one of the large ones and talk on the phone. Phone call over, dismount. He's also been on small boats most of his life.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Hi all!

I got a $50 gift certificate to Walmart for Mommy's Day! I want to get some equipment or tools to help in my journey. Do you have any suggestions?

I was looking at this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Medical-Deluxe-Folding-Exercise-Peddler-with-Electronic-Display/12248733
    but not sure how great of a work out I'd get.

The only things I currently have are 4lbs weights and a 4lbs kettle bell.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Jen

A good duffel bag, duct tape and a couple bags of sand!!!

Why Dexter, fancy seeing you here!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I bought that for my mother and it was very flimsy and not that fun to use.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells, jump rope, weights, resistance equipment. These are all good things to get at walmart and reasonable too :)
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    On a totally unrelated note, two great things about the English language are proper capitalization and the use of complete sentences. I find that the absence of either helps me weed out responses I shouldn't bother paying attention to on forums like this one.

:love:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why Dexter, fancy seeing you here!

Not getting it... there's nothing science-y...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    8lb dumbbells
    yoga mat
    Jillian Michaels Hard Body DVD

That's all you need! She sexifies you! Promise (if you eat right and do it consistently)!