Does the fat smell go away if you become skinny again?

Options

Replies

• LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It could be a matter of many things...1..larger people often sweat more, therefore causing more bacterial growth and odor more quickly and more frequently ....2...not being able to properly cleanse due to sometimes not being able to properly reach all areas of the body....and 3.....extra folds of skin trap moisture and odor and can cause infections and odors. I do think it will get better with time as you get smaller....you should ask a doctor to make sure that that is all it is and not something that is internally going on with you. Just make sure to keep clean and DRY. It's excess moisture and heat that cause odor (bacterial growth)...Use baby powder on the folded areas to help absorb extra moisture. :smile:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I dab a little garbage on my wrists every day to maintain that fresh fat scent, works like a charm!

And I thought that I was the only one.

To the OP - washing might not be the problem - drying properly is also very important.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm still new & have not updated everything, but I did log some pizza earlier.

NO, I don't smell like bacon anymore & its a little sad. At least I don't get suspended for the day & told to take a shower anymore. My life is better now & people don't look at me & sigh like they used to.

Congrats! NSV :D
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this bad at all but I do think it has something to do with being bigger (not saying fat). I have a sweet friend at church who weighs a good 400 plus lbs. Horribly sad and she smells. I would say yes it'll go away.

I have a dear sweet thin friend who smells. I have also noticed that my thin husband positively reeks after a hike, while I smell positively lovely. When walking into the activity center at my college, which is frequented mostly by thinner people, I am often nearly bowled over by the stench. Therefor, it must be that smelling bad is a thin people issue?

Correlation =\= causation

OP: You may want to see a Dr. about this, there could be medical reasons. In the past, I've blamed all sorts of things on my weight, and ignored symptoms because I thought that it was just a "fat thing", to the detriment of my health.
  • pHatWeenie
    pHatWeenie Posts: 23
    Options
    I think its true ... I am so aware of my odour. When I put on the weight I knew there wad something not right bit everyone I spoke to said I didn't smell. I asked my doc in passing and it could be hormones as well. I do think I smell a lot better but have lost some weight not much bit have noticed a diff. I was showering like three times a day to shift it but could always smell it on me yukka. Bit it will pass I think its the body going through changes. Hang in there and keep your head up x
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    If this isn't a joke and you are able to reach all your parts and appropriately wipe, wash, and dry everything, and you are using deodorants/antiperspirants, then you should probably go to a doctor and have a check-up.

I currently live with four other adults. All of us are fat. Only one of us smells...and it's because this dude has the most bat**** body chemistry you'll ever meet. In his particular case, his already pungent smell is significantly augmented by coffee. Unfortunately for the rest of us, he drinks his coffee very black, very strong, and in massive quantities. :(
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 265 pounds. And I stank horribly. I take showers I do everything i'm suppose to from a hygiene perspective. But I been told I smell like garbage from a few close friends. Ever since I got fat. Anyone else go through the whole skinny then fat then skinny and notice if they smelled better when skinny compared to when fat? I'm just not sure if this fat people smell thing is a myth or losing weight will help or its something else. Thanks.
    i'm too lazy to read the whole thread.

but.

does the skin, deep in the folds, look normal and healthy? if not, you may have a fungal or bacterial infection that's causing the stink.

also, onions & garlic. some people eat it and are fine. other people eat it and seem to sweat it from every pore, which smells utterly revolting.

i take a peppermint oil capsule sometimes and it makes both ends smell better, if you get my drift.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If this isn't a joke and you are able to reach all your parts and appropriately wipe, wash, and dry everything, and you are using deodorants/antiperspirants, then you should probably go to a doctor and have a check-up.

I currently live with four other adults. All of us are fat. Only one of us smells...and it's because this dude has the most bat**** body chemistry you'll ever meet. In his particular case, his already pungent smell is significantly augmented by coffee. Unfortunately for the rest of us, he drinks his coffee very black, very strong, and in massive quantities. :(

Good point. Contributing factors could include what you eat and drink. Also smoking could be a source - it's beyond the obvious smell of the cigarettes but rather the smell of your sweat. Resident chemists correct me if I'm wrong here - if you eat a lot of deli or smoked meat (or a lot of meat in general), wouldn't the amines possibly trigger some sort of odor? Do vegetarians smell better? I had to be really careful with the snacks I gave my dachshund - bacon or sausage flavored treats made her stink to high heaven. Also, wouldn't amount of body hair affect odor? I remember reading somewhere that armpit hair can capture and hold smells.

Oh yes - and second that on the onions and garlic. I personally don't eat raw onions specifically because I swear I start to smell bad all over. A few of my mom's friends smell pretty strong - they are Korean and they eat a diet with a lot of fermented pepper paste, garlic, and onions.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I smell.... a troll
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a fat smell. Sounds like you have something against fat people. A smell is a smell. Whether you thin or fat, if you don't shower, you'll smell bad. if you shower and spray your armpits regularly and use perfume or cologne, you'll smell good, regardless of whether you're fat or thin.

You shouldn't hate on the heavy people like that.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a fat smell. Sounds like you have something against fat people. A smell is a smell. Whether you thin or fat, if you don't shower, you'll smell bad. if you shower and spray your armpits regularly and use perfume or cologne, you'll smell good, regardless of whether you're fat or thin.

and you shouldn't be a judgemental twit.

there are fat people smells, which not all fat people have but which thin people pretty much never have. skin folds are the worst for getting smelly. with the exception of people with disabilities which constrict or restrict movements, regular sized people just don't get that smell. it's no joking matter, as the skin can easily tear or become infected with fungus & bacteria. putting perfume on damaged skin would be idiotic. doctors prescribe daktacort, not chanel.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny & can smell bad, but then that would be after working out & not having had a shower yet that day. I smell kinda strange.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Last summer when I put on 2 stone or so and was at my heaviest (19stone) I had a bad lingering smell from under my belly, like the fat flap over, the best thing I could do was use talc after washing and use warm water when possible.

The smell is now gone completely and I weigh around 15 stone now.
    this is what i'm talking about. people get to a certain size and they need carers to come in to help them bathe & dry & cream/powder every day to hopefully keep things under control.
    I know two obese people who always smell very bad because they can't properly reach to clean themselves after using the toilet. It's very sad.
    they make gadgets to help. like a stick with a bit on the end that'll grip a wad of tissue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbKgeccHjM

^^like that.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    even when i was over 300 lbs i had several ppl tell me that i smell lovely so nope not the fat smell must be food or hormons
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well I'm fat and the only time I smell is from my underarms if I've been sweating and haven't showered. I don't think it's because you're fat, but because you're not very clean.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    even when i was over 300 lbs i had several ppl tell me that i smell lovely so nope not the fat smell must be food or hormons
    ''when i was in a car wreck i only bruised my ribs, so your leg isn't broken.''
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. There are many both simple and serious medical conditions that cause someone to smell bad. Obesity, assuming you really are hygienic, ain't one of 'em.

Yes! Cannot believe it took two pages for someone to say this but see a doctor. Bad body odor (not caused by poor hygiene) is a symptom of any one of a handful of serious medical conditions.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options

there are fat people smells, which not all fat people have but which thin people pretty much never have. skin folds are the worst for getting smelly. with the exception of people with disabilities which constrict or restrict movements, regular sized people just don't get that smell. it's no joking matter, as the skin can easily tear or become infected with fungus & bacteria. putting perfume on damaged skin would be idiotic. doctors prescribe daktacort, not chanel.

Hey!! I was responding to what sounded like a judgmental topic that appeared to be prejudiced towards fat people. If you feel the need to correct me that's fine. But at least be mature about it and do it without resorting to name calling!
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I smell nice :flowerforyou:
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Hey!! I was responding to what sounded like a judgmental topic that appeared to be prejudiced towards fat people. If you feel the need to correct me that's fine. But at least be mature about it and do it without resorting to name calling!
    accusing a person who may actually have an issue, who may have found it difficult to post such a personal topic, of being either a troll or unwashed? without a scrap of evidence to indicate this? based entirely on your own ignorance of the issue?
    the very definition of mature.