Foods that can kill your diet

Options
Thewatcher_66
Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
Hey,

I'm just curious. Many of us are on MFP because we are either trying to lose weight or maintain our current weight level by monitorning food intake.

However, there are some foods that can kill your day if presented to you to the point where it's useless to even count anymore. And if you do count, the results are going to be so embarassing, you are not going to want to look at them for long. For some it's cakes and pies but for me, it's hot wings. Once hot wings are offered to me, I simply stop counting calories for the day because I know I'm going to go over big time.

Replies

• jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I recommend logging them for accountability. Sounds like an easy out, the way you are doing it. You also may be surprised at how few calories you are actually consuming when you think you are binging. I ate what I wanted on Mother's Day and when I logged it, I was afraid of the results, but I actual stayed within my daily goal.

For me, I have a sweet mouth, not a sweet tooth. I have to have something everyday.. I log it before before I eat to make sure it isn't something crazy ridiclious. Like today, there are 3 coffeecakes sitting in the lunchroom here at work.. I looked it up and decided to have a piece instead of my greek yogurt for breakfast. Doesn't mean my whole day is shot, I just will not have any sweets for the rest of the day and I will still stay within my goal.

The key is moderation with anything.. have the things you love, but stop yourself.. if you can't then you have a real problem with food.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Bananas.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    It's all about discipline
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I log on bad days as well as good....that way I know if my "weekly" calories are up/down or not.

I tend to be "under" my cal goal by 50-100 most days...so even on a crap day where I go over 1k....most of the time for the week, it isn't as bad as I think it is.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The foods that I know I will not be able to stop eating are the ones I just don't even eat anymore. The sad part is, It may not even be a food I even really like, just one that makes me want to gorge. Plain white rice for example, it's okay, nothing special. But I just cannot stop stuffing it into my face. I don't want to log that I ate enough rice to feed everyone this side of the Mississippi. So to avoid logging that, I don't eat that. There are things I really love that are just junk though, that I can eat just a bite of. Not many things of course, but a select few items. I don't mind if a little bit puts me a little over.
    Options
    Sometimes it's not. I respect that view and all, but it's just not always about discipline. There are folks with deeper trouble than a discipline issue.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can hardly wait to log all the alcohol I'm going to have this weekend.
    Hmm..I'll have to see if jello shots are in the food bank.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not. I respect that view and all, but it's just not always about discipline. There are folks with deeper trouble than a discipline issue.

I agree on that point... there are some occasions when discipline works but some people deal with emotional eating (or not eating)

Like for example i have been able to discipline myself when it comes to not eating white breads and such but once something emotionally heavy hits me its hard not to head for the comfort foods in my case sugar
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options
    I think that having the discipline does help but there are just foods that are addictive...like any other addiction (alcohol, cigarettes, etc). Best thing for me to do in many cases when the fellows want to watch the game a Buffalo Wild Wings is to tell them I'm going to have to pass today or suggest a different location. I'm not a really big eater either but it's something about those hot wings.
    Options

I agree on that point... there are some occasions when discipline works but some people deal with emotional eating (or not eating)

Like for example i have been able to discipline myself when it comes to not eating white breads and such but once something emotionally heavy hits me its hard not to head for the comfort foods in my case sugar

I found that certain things seemed to turn my full switch off. You mention white bread, I found that wheat products had a terrible effect on my appetite. It was like my brain never got the "full" signal no matter how much I ate. I just had to get rid of the wheat.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options

I just checked and you're in luck. There are a variety of jello shots listed in the food database. lol
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Im the same way! If I know Im going to be drinking I try and log it in advance. 9 holes of golf and 4 straw-ber-ritas is a win-win for me today.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I log everything, no matter what.

I've had two really crazy days since starting to log. One planned, one not.

Interestingly, they've both come after a three week plateau (or slow down), and in both cases I had a sudden drop in the next few days, followed by resumed steady weight loss.

Sometimes a little lapse can be just what you need, so long as you can get back on the horse afterwards.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I found that certain things seemed to turn my full switch off. You mention white bread, I found that wheat products had a terrible effect on my appetite. It was like my brain never got the "full" signal no matter how much I ate. I just had to get rid of the wheat.
    [/quote]

Wow that's a first for me I've never heard that before.... I try to stick to the multi grain "nut" breads i just love the crunchy addition to the breads... Kashi is a really feeling product for me

They say that about water heavy fruits and veggies if you eat them before your meal it will help fill you up but that just doesn't work from me i end up feeling hungrier

Jason1966 [/quote] I think that having the discipline does help but there are just foods that are addictive...like any other addiction (alcohol, cigarettes, etc). Best thing for me to do in many cases when the fellows want to watch the game a Buffalo Wild Wings is to tell them I'm going to have to pass today or suggest a different location. I'm not a really big eater either but it's something about those hot wings.[/quote] youre stronger than i am cause i love wings lol:laugh:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I recommend logging them for accountability. Sounds like an easy out, the way you are doing it. You also may be surprised at how few calories you are actually consuming when you think you are binging. I ate what I wanted on Mother's Day and when I logged it, I was afraid of the results, but I actual stayed within my daily goal.

For me, I have a sweet mouth, not a sweet tooth. I have to have something everyday.. I log it before before I eat to make sure it isn't something crazy ridiclious. Like today, there are 3 coffeecakes sitting in the lunchroom here at work.. I looked it up and decided to have a piece instead of my greek yogurt for breakfast. Doesn't mean my whole day is shot, I just will not have any sweets for the rest of the day and I will still stay within my goal.

The key is moderation with anything.. have the things you love, but stop yourself.. if you can't then you have a real problem with food.

Yeah, I agree. Since logging and staying below or close to my limit for over 4 months, my latest "binges" are ridiculously mild when I actually log them.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just saw a recipe for hot wings on the Today Show. They made it from boneless chicken breasts and drizzled hot sauce over them and baked them. For the blue cheese, they had a dip made from greek yogurt. Supposedly 145 calories per serving or so. You should try to find it!

And the food that makes me fail is always late at night, when I want to snack and reach for chips. I log it though, to keep myself accountable.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar! I've mostly eliminated it from my diet but there's so much of it added just about everything. I like it but my body is quick to tell me otherwise. *grumble*
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Bananas.

You gotta number?
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Anything that is a comfort food for, I just can't pass up. I chalk up the day as a "cheat day" and work harder another day.

Tamales and chicken wings....I just can't say no. It be like sitting Kat Von D on my desk and asking me to keep hands off.
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    As much as I love popcorn (microwave) the label is very misleading. I use to eat the entire bag not realizing it was 275-325 calories even for the 94% fat free kind. What a waste! I'm only doing air-popped popcorn from now on!

My other weakness is whiskey/vodka... empty calories... empty calories... empty calories...