Lifting at age 40 and beyond

Options
124»

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 50 and I notice a huge difference in my body compared to when I was younger. I used to be very fit. Now, I feel it's a real struggle to stay at an acceptable level of fitness. I get so tired! I do heavy lifting. I used to do it three times a week, but now I only do twice a week and I feel that suits me better.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 42. I started exercising hard and lifting (combo of heavy and endurance workouts) when I was in college and have done so off and on since then. I did P90x over the winter, and I was never tired from that. I had more energy during the day. I started stronglifts 5x5 about two months ago, and this is the heaviest lifting I've ever done. I definitely get way more fatigued from it than any other activity I've ever done. I'm sooo happy to be able to sleep an extra hour on my off days.

If I get some random soreness, I've found that rolling my muscles out with a foam roller or tennis ball helps almost instantly.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Your arms look amazing!
  • zevduv
    zevduv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 49. I've exercised my whole life, with breaks from time to time. In my 20's, I would tear it up with abandon in the gym, on the track and I never stretched. By age 35, I had to have back surgery. The surgeon who literally saved my life told me at the time, "I will get you through this but you have to stretch every day of your life unless you want to end up a 40 yr old cripple". I am much gentler on my body, I stretch before and after I exercise whether I am lifting or running and I give my body more recovery time. I go for form and function over weight and distance. I have fortunately had no recurrence of injury since that time, 15 years. The body is adaptable but needs to be treated kindly and gently for best response.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's and lifting better than I did in my 30's, didn't lift at all in my 20's. I do find that I have to pay particular attention to my form but when done properly, lifting gives me even more energy.