What causes obesity?

Options

Replies

• KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eating after 6pm

This is a myth because I eat my dinner at 10:30 - 11pm every night due to the time I come out of work and I'm dropping weight with with no problem. I also don't go to sleep until around 3am. So it depends what time you go to sleep.

Obesity comes from over eating, eating out too often and not getting healthier choices, some laziness, lack of self control, lack of motivation to eat healthier, so much yummy foods, fast food joints, the fact that unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food, lack of education of foods, televison, social media, internet and so much more. And by the last 3, I mean that we spend so much time watching TV, playing video games, communicating on Facebook instead of in person, and just being on the computers more than outdoors.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Food..... plenty of tastey and frankly very morish *if i dont eat it i will die*

I love all the bad things, Steak (ribeye) Roast Duck, Pork crackling, Black Pudding, Bacon, Roast lamb..

I love them all in portions that defy my stomachs capacity level.

Man vs food aint got nothing on how much steak i can tuck away into my 5'4 frame.

Ribs, chicken wings, Cheesburgers.....

Sadly though, 14yrs of having what i want when i want has landed me her 82lb's over weight

Dont get me wrong, i love all the 'healthy foods' too, i love salads and fruit.... but if my choice was to loose weight eating the top selection or the latter..... im gonna opt for the frickin ribeye!

But, its not my choice.... i have to eat healthy!

*as a side note, would happily murder a person of choosing for a love fat ribeye right now
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Obviously carbs, specifically fructose. And evil corporations that want to get us fat and keep us sick

That.

I understand the evil corporation but come on...you can not blame obesity on the lil ole carb?

Carbs have a place in the being healthy lifestyle surely
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a highly-complex problem, with many variables, i.e. cultural, genetic, familial, food-availability, socio-economic stratum, susceptibility to advertising/media cues, and on and on and on. If it were not so complex, the problem would have been solved long ago.

I've always been curious about people who DON'T have weight problems. How do they do it? It's been such a problem in my life that I find myself dazzled by people who probably eat more carelessly and move less than I do and don't struggle. What's this about?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Don't tell Hugh, but I eat my dinner between 8 and 10 p.m. most evenings and I'm still losing weight! :tongue:
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Food..... plenty of tastey and frankly very morish *if i dont eat it i will die*

I love all the bad things, Steak (ribeye) Roast Duck, Pork crackling, Black Pudding, Bacon, Roast lamb..

Man vs food aint got nothing on how much steak i can tuck away into my 5'4 frame.

Sadly though, 14yrs of having what i want when i want has landed me her 82lb's over weight

Dont get me wrong, i love all the 'healthy foods' too, i love salads and fruit.... but if my choice was to loose weight eating the top selection or the latter..... im gonna opt for the frickin ribeye!

*as a side note, would happily murder a person of choosing for a love fat ribeye right now

Steak (ribeye) Roast Duck, Pork crackling, Black Pudding, Bacon, Roast lamb.. Ribs, chicken wings, Cheesburgers.....

Funny, that sounds EXACTLY like my diet plan... :laugh: lol! :bigsmile:
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    bump for reading tomorrow since its bed time for me but interesting top pick
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Obviously carbs, specifically fructose. And evil corporations that want to get us fat and keep us sick

That.

I understand the evil corporation but come on...you can not blame obesity on the lil ole carb?

Blaming obesity on evil corporations is just as silly as blaming obesity on carbs.
    DrEvil_zps45e1bc58.gif

Really though. It's our significant other's fault.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Too much food, not enough movement.

And laziness. Lots of laziness.

I understand the laziness aspect, but playing devil`s advocate, a lot of people lead busy lives working or looking after the children..so how do they find the time to move?

I wouldn't say laziness, at least not in a lot of cases. I know part of my problem was that I was too busy and didn't take time for ME, but I am certainly not lazy and never was. (I work full time, take care of a 9-year-old son, take care of a disabled husband who is unable to work and I go to graduate school off and on - someday I'll get that masters...) I finally decided I couldn't keep up that pace at the weight I was at, so I moved it higher on the priority list. However, when you are really busy like that, it's easy to fall into the trap of take-out food and no exercise and just falling into bed at night - and laziness has nothing to do with it.

I think there are just so many reasons for the obesity epidemic. Busy lives is big reason, in my mind. Also, take-out food on every corner, poor nutrition education (people don't know or understand what the are eating), misconceptions about what is healthy and what isn't, warped conception of serving sizes, a culture that is based around food... You name it. there isn't a simple answer, which means there isn't a simple answer to the epidemic.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Too much food, not enough movement.

And laziness. Lots of laziness.

I understand the laziness aspect, but playing devil`s advocate, a lot of people lead busy lives working or looking after the children..so how do they find the time to move?

Actually, if you look up "childcare calorie expenditures" you will find that childcare uses at least 100 calories more per hour than sitting at t desk job. I believe that total calories are important, but I also believe that the TYPE of calories consumed have a bearing on the "calories out" picture. Whether they are used to build and maintain lean tissue, fuel exercise and contribute to general well being or whether they are shoved summarily into one's fat cells is highly individualistic and depends on many factors. I used to eat less than I do now and gained body fat steadily. But I changed my diet in order to keep my rising blood sugar down and in controlling my blood sugar, discovered that I was losing body fat. I also started vigorous exercise at our local pool and thus increased the "calories out" picture. What works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Ambition, good planning and years of follow-through. :smile:
    And alcohol. :drinker:
    But there's also genetic predisposition to metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance.
    Also I read somewhere that the NUMBER of fat cells is determined in infancy. The more there are, the more room you have for your body to store fat.
  • JefferyCraft
    JefferyCraft Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i need some facts to back this up.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a highly-complex problem, with many variables

I had a moment of skimming over the reply and I thought it read "obesity is a highly-complex problem with many VEGETABLES :happy:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The simple answer: A caloric surplus.

Unfortunately, as simple as that is on the surface, it's not always easy to fix.

In the past, we had to move a lot to eat a little. Now we live in such a convenient overabundance that eating a lot takes little effort. Food is too easy, too cheap, too fast, and too tasty.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a highly-complex problem, with many variables, i.e. cultural, genetic, familial, food-availability, socio-economic stratum, susceptibility to advertising/media cues, and on and on and on. If it were not so complex, the problem would have been solved long ago.

I've always been curious about people who DON'T have weight problems. How do they do it? It's been such a problem in my life that I find myself dazzled by people who probably eat more carelessly and move less than I do and don't struggle. What's this about?

The first paragraph is mostly excuses (with the exception of medical reasons). The reason it wasn't solved long ago is because people would rather list excuses on why they can't lose weight rather than do the work that's required to get it done. The only people I know that don't have weight problems either eat a lot but exercise a lot as well or they just don't eat much.

I've struggled with it too but I know what I have to do to get there. Even knowing that, I find myself getting lazy from time to time. Knowing the solution and putting it into practice are two different animals.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    many many things but especially animal meats and protein! The ****ing **** they inject in them and how they are tortured and raised for da slaughter! And of course laziness:)
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

Steak (ribeye) Roast Duck, Pork crackling, Black Pudding, Bacon, Roast lamb.. Ribs, chicken wings, Cheesburgers.....

Funny, that sounds EXACTLY like my diet plan... :laugh: lol! :bigsmile:

Ohhhh if only we could eat all that and remain stick like :laugh:

i also think im part mouse, i love cheese.... Garlic le roule is an absolute favorite on ritz biscuits.... and wenslydale with cranberries......

Alas just another none dieting food :(

Iv tried low fat cheese/weight watchers cheese, fankley wouldnt use it to line the sole of my shoe!

I need to leave this thread, its making me hungry and iv just eaten into my workout calories (sadly with fruit!!!)

I fear i may be a pillow short come the morning, or husband may have lost a foot :laugh:
  • TammyJeffBreeden
    Options
    the devil, :devil:
  • elashawna
    elashawna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what does obama have to do with eating to much really...lol....michelle obama healthy.....better answer plz
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    many many things but especially animal meats and protein! The ****ing **** they inject in them and how they are tortured and raised for da slaughter! And of course laziness:)

Protein causes obesity? How does that work?