What causes obesity?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The simple answer: A caloric surplus.

Unfortunately, as simple as that is on the surface, it's not always easy to fix.

In the past, we had to move a lot to eat a little. Now we live in such a convenient overabundance that eating a lot takes little effort. Food is too easy, too cheap, too fast, and too tasty.

I am liking this reply
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, as simple as that is on the surface, it's not always easy to fix.

In the past, we had to move a lot to eat a little. Now we live in such a convenient overabundance that eating a lot takes little effort. Food is too easy, too cheap, too fast, and too tasty.

I am liking this reply

What do we tell smokers? Quit smoking
    What do we tell Alcoholics? Quit drinking alcohol
    What do we tell Food-Aholics? Your busy life and society makes it too hard for you to be able to make good choices....

The real answer...eat less and move more.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I am liking this reply

What do we tell Food-Aholics? Your busy life and society makes it too hard for you to be able to make good choices....

That maybe the answer but my original question was what causes obesity?

Some have said protein, carbs, not moving a lot, laziness was a big issue I am not asking for the answer but the cause?
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So many sweeping generalisations, so little time.

The reasons for the obesity epidemic are complex and the fixes for it are going to be a long time coming.

Recent research into hunger hormones, genetics and even the role of viruses indicate there is more to the story than people simply being lazy, not to mention the socioeconomics of obesity.

Moralising about gluttony and blaming individuals shuts down inquiry and curiosity into a multi-factorial, complex problem with no easy answers.
  • craigmandu
    Options

I am liking this reply

That maybe the answer but my original question was what causes obesity?

Some have said protein, carbs, not moving a lot, laziness was a big issue I am not asking for the answer but the cause?

But you already know the cause....consistently eating over your TDEE.

That implies either overeating by alot, or under "moving" by alot.

To place "blame" on any one thing would be a gross generalization on what is more likely a case by case situation. It's my personal belief that it is "mostly" laziness on the part of the people, coupled with a consistently growing portion sizing of everything they eat. But I understand that is simply a generalization as well, and as such is probably not completely true.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Million dollar question. If anyone can effectively answer this they'll be rolling in the dough. Personally, there are many factors that cause obesity disease, environment, psychological, lack of knowledge, habits, poor community planing, stigmatization of obesity along with increasing acceptance, this "pull yourself up by the boot strap mentality" which does not serve to help an individual deep in the throws of an obesigenic lifestyle, addictive behaviors...ect ect.

That's just it, no one will be rolling in dough with the right answer because the right answer isn't sexy, it doesn't have a quick fix and people would much rather come up with a plethora of excuses.

Eat too much and don't exercise enough to offset the calories in that food is the answer. The right, simple, non sexy answer.

I still believe there are a million confounding factors that cause obesity. I guess I'm in the minority on this post because I dont think that telling someone they are obese simply due to being a lazy slob is helpful nor empathetic. But I'm weird I like to l try solve problems and help people. What caused me to be obese may be completely different from the next person, and I work every day to learn something new about myself and hopefully reverse the abysmal failure rate that every obese person faces. If it was that simple we'd all be "skinny."
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    quick.
    someone chase me!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Million dollar question. If anyone can effectively answer this they'll be rolling in the dough. Personally, there are many factors that cause obesity disease, environment, psychological, lack of knowledge, habits, poor community planing, stigmatization of obesity along with increasing acceptance, this "pull yourself up by the boot strap mentality" which does not serve to help an individual deep in the throws of an obesigenic lifestyle, addictive behaviors...ect ect.

That's just it, no one will be rolling in dough with the right answer because the right answer isn't sexy, it doesn't have a quick fix and people would much rather come up with a plethora of excuses.

Eat too much and don't exercise enough to offset the calories in that food is the answer. The right, simple, non sexy answer.

I still believe there are a million confounding factors that cause obesity. I guess I'm in the minority on this post because I dont think that telling someone they are obese simply due to being a lazy slob is helpful nor empathetic. But I'm weird I like to l try solve problems and help people. What caused me to be obese may be completely different from the next person, and I work every day to learn something new about myself and hopefully reverse the abysmal failure rate that every obese person faces. If it was that simple we'd all be "skinny."

Word! Well said.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Heavy water.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I am liking this reply

That's lovely we tell other addicts to abstain, but we tell food addicts to just eat a little less of their addictive substance. It doesn't work to tell the alcoholic drink in moderation one to two glasses, so why do we assume it would work in the food addict? Have a little less crack, just gamble a few dollars, only have sex with 2 men a week, smoke a couple cigarettes, do coke once a month. Although I dont think the OP was referring to food addicts which need to be treated with a mental health professional...you all just made me go off onto a little tangent.
  • craigmandu
    Options

I am liking this reply

That's lovely we tell other addicts to abstain, but we tell food addicts to just eat a little less of their addictive substance. It doesn't work to tell the alcoholic drink in moderation one to two glasses, so why do we assume it would work in the food addict? Have a little less crack, just gamble a few dollars, only have sex with 2 men a week, smoke a couple cigarettes, do coke once a month. Although I dont think the OP was referring to food addicts which need to be treated with a mental health professional...you all just made me go off onto a little tangent.

We would..but they'd die!
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and not getting enough exercise

my "sweet tooth!!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda!
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I am liking this reply

We would..but they'd die!

So therefore it needs to be handled with a different approach? I see that some feel stigmatization and demoralizing are a great answer. I dont know my own answer just take it one day at a time.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We have too many labor saving devices. We don't even walk up stairs anymore; we have escalators. And, we have too many big corporations shoving high fructose corn syrup into too much of our food.
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I seen some on here blaming there parent's for them being over weight.. REALLY.. Your parent's didn't make you eat all your food after you was grown. We as adults make our on choices as to how we eat and what we put in our mouths. I COULD set all day long and blame my parent's but truth is I'M THE ONE TO BLAME not them I could have moved more ate less but I didn't so here I am at my heaviest. Now it's time to change all that for my better health. :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eating more than you burn. (Connection can be made to lack of education on that subject)
  • craigmandu
    Options
    So therefore it needs to be handled with a different approach? I see that some feel stigmatization and demoralizing are a great answer. I dont know my own answer just take it one day at a time.

OP asked what we "think" the most common reasons are for obesity. People gave their "opinions". No one is "demoralizing" anyone, no one came to you and said "You lazy, overeating" anything.

If you read my other post you'll see that I recognize it is a generalization and most likely an over-estimation of a much more complex issue. No one here is going to solve it.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Fatties not putting down the fork.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I seen some on here blaming there parent's for them being over weight.. REALLY.. Your parent's didn't make you eat all your food after you was grown. We as adults make our on choices as to how we eat and what we put in our mouths. I COULD set all day long and blame my parent's but truth is I'M THE ONE TO BLAME not them I could have moved more ate less but I didn't so here I am at my heaviest. Now it's time to change all that for my better health. :)

Of course we all have responsibility, but you cant move foward unless you know on what ground you are starting from. If one didnt have the foundation of a healthy life and does not have the education you cant expect them to make a radical 180. If one grow up in a home and all they did was eat out you cant expect for him/her to start cooking. If you grew up eating chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese you can't expect that person will eat brussel sprouts. That's why its so critical as a parent to know about nutrition because those little people completely rely on you to nourish them and teach them. I applaud anyone on MFP, although sometimes misguided, he or she is seeking information or help to live healthier that his or her parent may have completely neglected to teach.