Worst Wedding You've Ever Attended

Options

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My brothers both got married and at both of them people were taking bets as to how long they lasted. No one was happy about them. That was pretty horrible.

So, don't keep us in suspense. Are they still married?
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My brother and his bride struck a compromise and paid for the wine & beer. Guests had to pay for mixed drinks and the bartenders all had Square readers to take credit card payment.

The only mistake they made was letting the bar open too far before the toasts. Her brother so was f'ing blitzed by the time he made his toast that he mumbled through most of it and ended up insulting his own parents.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I forgot this one....a man in drag crashed my brother's wedding (this was back in 1991) and was hanging out in the ladies room watching all the women putting on makeup and hiking up pantyhose, etc. The lady from the office saw 'him' in the mirror and started screaming "you're a man" and ran shreiking through the lobby while the owner came out and chased him out into the parking lot. The tranny got into a car and got away by the skin of his teeth....we laughed about it for years.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Worst wedding...bride gets drunk (everyone was drunk actually) and instead of going to the hotel to sleep it off, enjoy her wedding night, whatever, she tracks down and attacks new sister in law's boyfriend (while he was passed out asleep) at her now mother-in-laws house, because someone told her that the boyfriend made a comment she deemed inappropriate in front of someone else

Now her husband and his sister aren't speaking and a whole family is ruined.

What a night!!

Yay for open bar...it's so great...NOT
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i was only at one cash bar, that was the worst wedding EVER!
    no one danced, it was at an american legion, the food was cold.
    we ended up leaving early going back to a friends house to bbq.

our wedding was lovely! everyone still comments that it was a great wedding, and it was 11 years ago!!!

i love weddings, well, the party really!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    .Almost posted something that could've gotten me in trouble..
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that attendees can tell the event is about a marriage and NOT just about a wedding!! Worst wedding ever felt like I was at a royal coronation and the best wedding ever felt like I was at an intimate party in which the hosts were celebrating how much they loved eachother.

For many people, it's a chance to be with friends and family they don't see very often.

I think it's important to remember the purpose of a wedding - to celebrate to people marrying. The purpose is not to entertain you.

^^^^ Yes, these! ^^^^

The best weddings I've attended were beautiful in their simplicity and completely on the cheap. One of my favorites was held in a friend's backyard where the officiant wore a sundress, family and friends brought food and cheap cocktails, and everyone lounged around the swimming pool and danced to whatever was on the the neighbor's laptop.

It's usually the stuff you can't plan that winds up being the most memorable, so try not to sweat the small stuff (pardon the cliché). I liked the advice here about asking for help or even hiring someone to assist you if you become overwhelmed.

I don't know anyone who would care about a cash bar at a wedding.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was a bridesmaid for one of my best friends last summer. It was an outdoor wedding and there are obvious risks when you have a wedding outdoors. Never know if the biggest day of your life will be windy or rainy. Turns out, right when the bride met her groom, started to rain lightly then the rain got heavy. We couldn't leave to finish the ceremony so the pastor did it as quickly as possible. Everyone was soaked, it was awful.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    aww man I need to bump this for later!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    first off: congrats on the engagement!

second off: i have loved ALL the weddings i have attended. mine is on june 21st, and haters gonna hate i am marrying my fiance and we will smile behind our forcefield that deflects crappy attitudes. this is about you and hubby. there is no etiquette. etiquette is false and changes everyday. do what feels right. do what feels you. do you!
  • bearkisses
    Options
    i feel like going through this whole post and spinning all the negatives into positives...
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Worst wedding...bride gets drunk (everyone was drunk actually) and instead of going to the hotel to sleep it off, enjoy her wedding night, whatever, she tracks down and attacks new sister in law's boyfriend (while he was passed out asleep) at her now mother-in-laws house, because someone told her that the boyfriend made a comment she deemed inappropriate in front of someone else

Now her husband and his sister aren't speaking and a whole family is ruined.

What a night!!

Yay for open bar...it's so great...NOT
    \

ok this one is pretty bad lol
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Ironically, this is exactly what etiquette is supposed to be for, not as a basis to judge people but to ensure your guests are treated well.
    [/quote]

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Let's see....

DH's Cousin's wedding.... Cousin 1.... DH and I were engaged and he was invited and we had to pay for me to go. WTF?

And Cousin #2... World's WORST wedding!

Wedding starts at 2:00, so we show up around 1:30-1:45ish and join the other guests in the sanctuary while the bridal party is having their pictures done. Yep, minutes before the wedding and we ALL see the bride. Um, Sweetheart, you should have had the pictures done already, it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding!.... I thought the ceremony was awful. I had never been to a wedding where everyone sings hymns, but I've heard that it apparently isn't "weird" but I thought it was insane.... Proceed to the reception, there is NO FOOD! Why? The ditzy bride didn't finalize with the caterer. DUH! My MIL called the caterer and "magically" food appeared. There was NO CAKE!!!!! The bride asked several people to make key lime pies and cherry pies. Dafuq?!

My own wedding had a LOT of glitches due to manipulative IL's, but no breaches of ettiquette.

Well, seeing the bride before the wedding isn't an etiquette breach, it's superstition. I am going to do most of our pictures beforehand as well, but hide before the guests get there! :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options

6) double dinner: even though it was quite generous to be invited to a wedding that had two dinners; one at the church immediately following the wedding, and one at a local hotel that was more of a buffet tapas situation, it would have been nice to know this ahead of time because the first dinner was a taco truck and i'm a chile addict and found it hard to stop eating so many damned tacos. Only to be presented with brie and a number of other yummy things at the official reception. believe me i'm not complaining about the awesome food, just I would have liked to pace myself to enjoy all the yumness and a little heads up on the invite about dinner here and tapas later over there would have been great.

WHAT! Did you really just complain about TOO MUCH FOOD!?!?!?! LOL I want to do that late night snack towards the end of the reception- ham or turkey sammiches or something to help start sobering people up...so there should be plenty of food at mine too. That wedding you went to with two meals sounds AMAZING! lol
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah, I meant most people don't sit there and pick apart a wedding to find etiquette breaches. But it is also there so people don't remember your wedding decades later for the wrong reasons either.
    People aren't going to remember for decades how the invites were written, but being hot and uncomfortable is going to stick with you whether you care about etiquette or not. I am pretty sure the groom thing isn't even an etiquette issue, that just WTF.
    [/quote]

Yea....People remember things for being out of the ordinary...either being uncomfortable or rude...or for being totally off the wall or different.

My dad said the two best weddings he attended, that he found most memorable included on that had a Harley priest- it was a Harley Davidson themed wedding...and then another wedding he attended was a BBQ picnic style with potato salad and baked beans, etc...he said that food was the best. Stuff like that, and the negatives- like when the comfort of the guests isn't taken into consideration is remembered.

I want both for my wedding...something different, unique to us & to be etiquette appropriate and all reasonable efforts on our part is made that our guests are comfortable and have a good time to kick off the start of our life together. :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I can't believe I forgot this one....a man in drag crashed my brother's wedding (this was back in 1991) and was hanging out in the ladies room watching all the women putting on makeup and hiking up pantyhose, etc. The lady from the office saw 'him' in the mirror and started screaming "you're a man" and ran shreiking through the lobby while the owner came out and chased him out into the parking lot. The tranny got into a car and got away by the skin of his teeth....we laughed about it for years.

LOL! That's awesome!!!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    It's your wedding and do what you want and forget what others think. My wedding ceremony will be at 11 am and the reception is at 4:30. I don't care what everyone else will do. I know I will be busy with pictures. I would like to enjoy my day and not feel rushed to get every picture I want in.

And....what are your guests supposed to do that entire time? Don't be surprised if you get a lot of them who leave...or keep their gift to you. A better way to do it is to do a "first look" photo shoot before the ceremony and take most of your pictures before then so you don't have that rude gap. You should never keep your guests waiting for more than an hour with nothing to do.
    I've talked to most of my guests, and they agree. Don't rush. Enjoy your day. We are having it in a large city, so people can go for lunch if they so choose. Also, a lot will have children under the age of 5 so taking them home for a nap is a lot better then making the children power through a wedding from 2 until 10. The elder will have a chance to go a rest too. I have always preferred weddings where there is a long gap between ceremony and reception. I usually wear something more casual to the church and something more formal to the reception. Gives me time to go home, feed the dog, walk the dog, play with the dog, change, have a snack (weddings are never on time so you probably won't eat until later than you thought). Giving the guests 4 or 5 hours gives them more options of things to do rather, than 1 maybe 2 hours where they really can't do anything because there isn't enough time, and then they rush back to the reception only to find out that the bride and groom are running an hour behind because they didn't give themselves enough time for all the pictures they wanted to do.
    My fiancé and I have been told numerous times, that the day goes by so fast, that you don't remember it. We want as many pictures as possible to remember everything, even if they are posed shots. If we arrive early at the reception, great, I just don't want to be thinking, I wish we could have gotten pictures there but didn't because we didn't have time.
    I am not a bridezilla. Everything else about the wedding is to make the party the best ever. We aren't getting decorations like most weddings have because we would rather spend our money on booze, food and DJ. This is the one thing we want, so this is the one thing we are doing for ourselves.

Okay- That makes more sense being in a big city. But that sure does make one hell of a long day for your bridal party.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I must be really lucky as I haven't attended what I would call a bad wedding.

Cash bar is very typical in the UK. I would be very surprised to go to a wedding with free bar. I guess it is just custom here.

My sisters wedding 2 years ago was in Gubbio in Italy and basically involved town hall ceremony, an 8 course meal in a restaurant and then back to the agriturismo we were staying in for the party. All the drink at the meal was included and then the party drinks were purchased by the bride and groom locally."PROSECCO FEST"! lol

I'm just about to go to Malta to another wedding for my cousin. Really looking forward to this one too.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I was invited to a wedding that had been organised in 5 weeks. I felt a bit sorry for the bride who didnt have much and loaned her my daughters bridesmaid dress for her daughter. After the brief ceremony in the registry office, we all paid for our own meals in a local pub, and one of her relatives told my 4 year old off for leaving some of her food (I was not impressed!) A buffet was provided at the evening reception and it looked lovely but only 6 people turned up! (there had only been 5 at the wedding!) It was awful. 3 months later, yes, 3 months, they split up, and she returned a ruined, torn bridesmaid dress without a word of apology.

However, I wouldn't expect a free bar, I think a free bar just encourages excess. And I wouldn't criticise a wedding that has usually been planned carefully, even if aspects of the wedding were not to my personal taste. Its the height of bad manners as far as I am concerned. I loved my small wedding, because I married the man I loved, and that's what matters.