Good foods during menstration

Options
Mmmmona
Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
I have been dieting and exercising for two months now. I skipped my period last month due to the change in my body. I just got it on my morning dog walk today and it's a killer! I usually have good smooth periods but this one is really hurting. Most months I wouldn't even know I had it, except for the blood. I don't take medication unless my life depends on it so that is out.

What are some good natural remedies for the cramps? What are some good foods to be eating during this time?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Peppermint is really good for cramps.

If my cramps are killing me, I drink a cup of peppermint tea or have a peppermint candy and it helps.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Crisps
    Ice cream
    Cake

Add in a hot water bottle and some painkillers and you're good to go:laugh:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Primrose oil tabs... I always take around that time and it helps.
  • Mmmmona
    Options

Thanks. I'll look for some of that.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Keep yourself hydrated and active. The peppermint does help. Once your body gets used to the new activity / nutrition it should go back to normal. If it doesn't you should check with your gynocologist. It could be nothing but it could also just be a coincidence that it started when you made changes to your lifestyle.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a lot of water and avoid eating too much salty stuff. I used to get horrible cramps, headaches, and back pain. Birth control has helped a lot, but I still go for hydration when the lesser cramps pop up.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    i quit dairy and dont get cramps any more, Winning!
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and ice cream too! yummm! :bigsmile:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This will be completely anecdotal but for me, if I do sprints (1-2 mins at max speed) several times with 5 min walks spaced between, I'll prompt some bad cramps that only last a few minutes (the week before I start). If I do this, then during my menses, I'll get mild to no cramping. If I don't do this, I'll get all day, curled up on the floor cramps. No idea why this works for me but I've been doing this for years.

Oh, and I've noticed they aren't as severe after having a kid.

My sister, who gets them like I do but refuses to try my method, swears by raspberry extract pills (not raspberry ketones). She takes one a day and says that ever since she started, they've been very mild. Again, I have no idea why this works for her.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chocolate helps.. ;)

Seriously though, caffeine DOES help with cramps (which is why they put it in midol), so have a Coke? If you don't take medicine unless you absolutely have to, I would recommend a hot water bottle or rice bag (same thing really, except one is a bag/sock with rice that you microwave for 1 - 1.5 minutes) and put it where the cramps hurt. It works WONDERS for my cramps when they are bad. Since I started doing sit ups and working out my abs more, my cramps have actually become less noticable (not to be confused with not there, because they still freakin' hurt!).

Hope that helps!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Raspberry leaf tea. I drink Traditional Medicinal's around that time.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Most women experience symptoms of bloating, fatigue, cramps, headache, digestive problems and mood swings before and during their menstrual cycle. One of the best ways to prevent and treat these symptoms is via a healthy diet, which can also aid general health and overall well-being.

Beans

The high fiber content of beans and peas reduces the congestive symptoms of cramps by producing bulkier stools with higher water content. This rids the body of excess fluid and also normalizes digestion, reducing both constipation and diarrhea, according to Dr. Susan Lark, director of the PMS Self-Help Center in Los Altos, California, and author of "Dr. Susan Lark's Menstrual Cramps Self Help Book." Legumes are also a good source of B vitamins, which prevent cramps and menstrual fatigue. Although beans can create excess gas, this can be minimized by eating small amounts and increasing slowly, or by taking a digestive enzyme like Beano.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Treat Constipation Fast We Have Bowel Loosening Tips Here. See Constipation Treatment Options. symptomfind.com/Constipation

Green Vegetables

Green vegetables are high in calcium, magnesium and potassium, which relieve and prevent the spasms that lead to cramping pain. Lark also adds that these minerals can calm and relax emotions, reducing irritability. Dark green vegetables also contain high amounts of vitamin K, which is needed to coagulate blood and prevent excess bleeding.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

A group of hormone-like substances in the body called prostaglandins are involved in muscle contractions and menstrual pain. One way to shut down the prostaglandin effect is by consuming omega-3 fatty acids like those contained in salmon, walnuts and flaxseed. A 1995 study in the "European Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that women whose diets are balanced in favor of omega-3s, rather than other fats, tend to have milder menstrual symptoms.

Pineapple

A report from Dr. Phyllis Johnson, of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Center in Grand Forks, North Dakota, found that young women who consumed low amounts of manganese had an increased menstrual flow of up to 50 percent, leading Johnson to recommend that women with menstrual discomfort increase their manganese consumption. Fruits are high in manganese, but one of the richest manganese food sources is pineapple. Pineapple also contains high levels of bromelain, an enzyme thought to help relax muscles and therefore prevent menstrual cramping.

Tea

Tea is another source of manganese, according to Johnson, although women should avoid the caffeinated version, which can actually lead to greater menstrual discomfort. Ginger tea may be helpful in relieving nausea and bloating, and chamomile tea also contains properties that relieve muscle spasms and reduce the tension that can lead to anxiety and irritability.

Water

Excessive fluid retention is one of the main causes of congestive symptoms seen with cramps, which are characterized by dull, aching pain. One of the very best ways to help decrease water retention, even though it may seem counterintuitive, is to increase water consumption--if a woman isn't drinking enough, her body may overcompensate by retaining extra water.

Whole Grains

A study by British doctors found that eating small amounts of carbohydrates every three hours and within one hour of going to bed combated PMS symptoms in 70 percent of women. Dr. Lark adds that whole grains are excellent sources of magnesium, which reduces neuromuscular tension. Whole grains also have B-complex vitamins and vitamin E to combat fatigue and depression.

Yogurt

Yogurt contains live and active cultures of bacteria that promote a healthy digestion. Yogurt is also a good source of calcium, and getting twice as much calcium as an average women consumes on a daily basis, 1,300 milligrams instead of 600, seems to alleviate menstrual discomfort, according to James G. Penland, Ph.D., a psychologist at the Department of Agriculture. However, since meat and dairy products contain arachidonic acids, which increase the production of cramp-causing prostaglandins, women may prefer to choose nondairy forms of calcium such as broccoli, kale, canned salmon with bones and calcium-fortified foods like cereals and juices.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/99082-foods-eat-period/#ixzz2TNf8v227
  • Mmmmona
    Options
    i quit dairy and dont get cramps any more, Winning!

I wanna eat the cupcake. And then I want to eat it's mom and dad.
  • Vehicon
    Vehicon Posts: 22
    Options

She's looking for foods to alleviate the cramps, not comfort food.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that
  • Mmmmona
    Options

She's looking for foods to alleviate the cramps, not comfort food.

Yes thank you. Besides, my heart can't handle the caffiene
  • Mmmmona
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that

Actually, you do. I have already asked my doctor about it when I missed last month/
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Crisps
    Ice cream
    Cake

Add in a hot water bottle and some painkillers and you're good to go:laugh:

You must know my wife. Though you missed out red wine.