• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and bacon.

Exercise helps me.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of iron rich foods. And red wine... not scientific or anything, but it helps me relax when I'm cramping like crazy.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I double my multi vitamin and increase my fruit/veggie intake. Make sure you're getting enough iron!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Normally my TOM is a killer, but I have noticed recently that with my increase in water intake it has not been nearly as bad as in the past. It has also been less days. I would try increasing your water during the TOM to see if this assists.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I double my multi vitamin and increase my fruit/veggie intake. Make sure you're getting enough iron!

I was considering doubling the multivitamin
  • kirstie1926
    kirstie1926 Posts: 48
    Options
    taking a few tums used to help in the past, but now they are unbearable, like contractions. so i pop a pain killer.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My late bride munched on Motrin
  • Mmmmona
    Options
    I understand that you are dieting under a doctor's supervision. Please make sure you tell the doctor that you are having irregular periods, as they need to know this information.

Heat will help a lot--it's vital for me during this time, both with a heating pad and hot tea. I also find that some starchy carby food can be comforting. Some people recommended chocolate, but for me, it's actually pasta.

Drink plenty of water--when I'm dehyrdrated I find that I cramp worse. Maybe my body's having more trouble passing menstrual fluid at that point, who knows.

And I know this is probably the last thing you feel like doing, but a decently vigorous workout can actually really help. If I can make myself do it (which I can't always), I'm never sorry afterward.

Good advice. I talked to my doc when I skipped last month and she said it is normal for making such a drastic change to my body.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that

^^wrong^^
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and ice cream too! yummm! :bigsmile:

She's looking for foods to alleviate the cramps, not comfort food.

well... everybody is different!! I feel better after a piece of chocolate!! :tongue:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    weight training has really helped. increase the protein, and take an iron supplement if needed a few days before tom
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    Tons of water, little to NO salt, hot baths/showers, heating pad (heating pads are angels sent from heaven.)

Alternatively, you can exercise the pain away. It's kinda like when you get a cramp in your calf in the middle of the night and you have to flex your foot to make it go away. (At least that's how I look at it.)

Go for a short-medium walk. it helps a ton. I promise. It hurts and you're not going to want to do it (perhaps--I know I NEVER want to move while it's that time of the month) but it will ease and you'll feel better.
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a drink called Choffy? It's ground cocoa beans, kind of like coffee but with much less caffeine. But it helps to open up your blood vessels and really helps when you are in that oh so horrid time of the month! I just started drinking it for that and oh my gosh, it helps so much! Also helps if I'm craving something sweet, or I need more water during the day! It's amazing! And for you peppermint peeps out there, I bet that would taste great in the Choffy, I think I'll try that tonight!
    Here is a website you can go to for Choffy!

www.drinkchoffy.com
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    fyi u dont skip periods due to changes in body
    unles s u are pre menopausal
    u should go to th e gyno about that

I once skipped 2 months and I wasn't pregnant. It turned out to be stress.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do castor oil I don't drink it I take a wash cloth dab some on there put it on the area that is crampy. saran wrap in place and use a heating pad or heating dome for 1 hour twice a day it helps with cramping. sounds strange I know it helps. the person who said you can't skip periods because of a change in weight I disagree on that end.
  • Mmmmona
    Options
    Have you tried a drink called Choffy? It's ground cocoa beans, kind of like coffee but with much less caffeine. But it helps to open up your blood vessels and really helps when you are in that oh so horrid time of the month! I just started drinking it for that and oh my gosh, it helps so much! Also helps if I'm craving something sweet, or I need more water during the day! It's amazing! And for you peppermint peeps out there, I bet that would taste great in the Choffy, I think I'll try that tonight!
    Here is a website you can go to for Choffy!

www.drinkchoffy.com/leebee

Can't have any caffeine. thanks though.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Considering your history around reproduction, seeing a doctor about changes in menstruation might be the best idea.
  • Mmmmona
    Options
    I read the original post and was like, WTF? I think this is why MFP allows us to have friend lists. The rest of the world does NOT, and I repeat, NOT, want to hear about your "smooth periods" and how much blood you have coming out of you. Really. We don't. If you want to ask which foods are good to consume during menstruation, super, then ask....but we don't need all the other information.

Sorry, not trying to be b!tchy, but, geez! :noway:

Wow. get over yourself. It's a period. All women have them. Life goes on. Lighten up or your face might get stuck like that.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually really helps in alleviating cramps.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I read the original post and was like, WTF? I think this is why MFP allows us to have friend lists. The rest of the world does NOT, and I repeat, NOT, want to hear about your "smooth periods" and how much blood you have coming out of you. Really. We don't. If you want to ask which foods are good to consume during menstruation, super, then ask....but we don't need all the other information.

Sorry, not trying to be b!tchy, but, geez! :noway:

...Don't read posts labeled to be about menstruation then?

Also, I think she meant "smooth period" as in, it goes smoothly, without any problems. I don't think she was talking about the consistency of the blood or anything.