I hate lifting

Options
Not trying to be provocative but I guess there are others like me out there.

I love to swim, I am training to swim 2 miles in open water in August. I love moving through water, goign further and faster and I adore the head space training gives me.

I have tried with lifting, I have done free weights and machines, I have done bodyweight stuff. And you know what I hate it, I hate sweating, I hate forcing myself to do it and I hate the constant DOMS. SO I have stopped.

It may be that I am doing my body a dis service, and I feel bad about it, but the best way to keep active is doing something you love and can carry on doing

Replies

• jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    I hate cardio but guess what I do it because its gonna benefit me on the long run.

Weightlifting is the same thing if you want to lift for just general health and bone and muscle support keep your weights light and reps high do it about twice a week no need to kill yourself. This will help you fight things like arthritis and osteoporosis later on in life.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You sweat in water, too. You just don't know it becuase you're already wet.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I hate weight lifting too, but my health and the benefits of lifting are far more important than the discomfort of having to lift for 45 minutes to an hour three days a week.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    So you like swimming because you don't sweat?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, but I do it because it's good for me.

Swimming can be a great full body workout, but there are benefits to strength training that will help with swimming.

It's your life though. Nobody is going to make you do it.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Swimming is resistance training. ;^) You're just weightlifting through water. ;^)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hate the constant DOMS?

If you stick with a routine for more than a couple of weeks then you'll stop getting it.

Sweating?

Well, when I do cardiovascular type work, I sweat like a pig. Don't really sweat so much when I'm lifting though......

At the end of the day, you don't have to do anything you don't like. You can certainly live a healthy, happy life without lifting.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio but guess what I do it because its gonna benefit me on the long run.

Weightlifting is the same thing if you want to lift for just general health and bone and muscle support keep your weights light and reps high do it about twice a week no need to kill yourself. This will help you fight things like arthritis and osteoporosis later on in life.

Second this, if for no other reason than the effect is has on your bones.

Swimming is actually great for strength, and there are tons of stuff you can to do increase resistance if you want to continue to gain strength while swimming (and increased resistance is what strength training is all about), but nothing beats the bone-building capacity of an out-of-water workout (http://www.swimmingscience.net/2010/07/bone-mineral-density-in-swimmers.html). The problem with swimming and bones is that your bones don't really have to support much in the water, the water does that work for you. It's not much different than the effect on astronauts in low-gravity situations.

So, hit the weights for half an hour a couple of times a week, then hop in the pool for a good swim. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Strength training not only makes you look good..it's fantastic for strengthening your bones.

I won't have brittle bones when I get older.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    awesome!! swimming is great did wonders for phelps!!:)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of exercise just for exercise's sake, so I try to make my hobbies reflect the exercise I need. I love mountain biking or belly dance or cardio, and hobbies like aerial and rock climbing are great for lifting substitutes. I still find I need to do squats and such for my lower half, but from aerial my upper body and core are really well defined. And I haven't done a lat pull-down in years!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I hate traditional cardio so I don't do it.

It's logical. If you've given it a fair chance and you really don't enjoy it, forcing yourself to do it is hardly likely to improve your mindset toward it.

Swimming is a fantastic crossover of cardio and resistance so keep up with it and you don't really need to lift weights. I found lifting has made me much faster in the pool myself, though. If you want some more resistance, put on some hand paddles and fins. It's all good.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Normally I advocate doing exercise you like because the probability of long term adherence is higher and you shouldn't be doing something that makes you miserable. But then you said you hate sweating and putting in work and DOMS. You lost me.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Lifting isn't the be all, end all to fitness. It has MANY benefits obviously, but if you don't like it, you won't stick with it and it won't help anyway.
    If you have found something you like, then do that and don't worry about it.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do sweat in the pool, I feel the prickle when it starts. I just don't have to deal with it!

I walk too, so thats good for the bones stuff
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Oh. Okay.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I love what it is doing for my body.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    awesome!! swimming is great did wonders for phelps!!:)

More like Phelps did wonders for swimming.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

It may be that I am doing my body a dis service, and I feel bad about it, but the best way to keep active is doing something you love and can carry on doing

^this.

People get so friggin dogmatic in their thinking- both Pro and Anti lifting (I personally get irked more by anti-lifting stuff especially if they talk about women because I avoided lifting so long as a woman because I believed all the hype).....

The key to success is to ENJOY LIFE. Most of my weight was lost just enjoying life. Riding bikes....with my friends in the sun. Surfing. Rock climbing. Dancing. Hiking. Dancing while I cleaned the house. Gardening. Doing things that made me feel alive.

If you are doing some exercise that you aren't enjoying, it's not sustainable.