I hate lifting

Options

Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm the weird one but I love DOMS. When I get sore, I spend all day poking at the sore muscle, just kind of enjoying the ache.

^^^hahaha I do that too!! :laugh:
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I didn't lift either. Didn't stop me from losing all the weight. Just do what you like. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hyperbolic post is hyperbolic.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, I have deadlifts to do.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what fitness is all about ... being comfortable and doing only what we like.

Look, I don't like sweating either. I like cranking the A/C down to about 60 and chilling out and watching movies all day. But that ain't gonna make the magic happen with this body (especially considering my refusal to stop eating steak, cheese, chocolate, and peanut butter). It's not going to allow me to admire my *kitten* in every mirror I walk past. So I do what I have to do. I lift heavy weights.

I hate any and all forms of cardio, but I still do it (HIIT barbell & kettlebell complexes) because it's good for my heart to get it beating out of its comfort zone.

I think it's time we all got over the idea that everything we do is supposed to be a fun time.

THIS.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I Hate Lamp!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Off to start a thread about how much I hate running.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Off to start a thread about how much I hate running.

Beat me to it..damn.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I Hate Pulp.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Meh. If you don't like to lift, don't lift. Lifting isn't required, resistance training is. While it doesn't offer the total resistance of lifting, swimming will probably give you the benefits that you need. And if you love it, do it. I'm not gonna tell you to do something you hate. I hate running, so I don't run. I've found other things give me the cardio benefits of running....except I actually enjoy them.

To each their own and you damn sure don't owe me an apology or an explanation.

QFMFT
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Meh. If you don't like to lift, don't lift. Lifting isn't required, resistance training is. While it doesn't offer the total resistance of lifting, swimming will probably give you the benefits that you need. And if you love it, do it. I'm not gonna tell you to do something you hate. I hate running, so I don't run. I've found other things give me the cardio benefits of running....except I actually enjoy them.

To each their own and you damn sure don't owe me an apology or an explanation.

^ This here.

Do what you love.
  • lucillebluth
    lucillebluth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as you are still being active. I hate cardio and I hate the idea of forcing myself to sweat..but once I get started I'm fine. I like kettlebells a lot more than traditional lifting
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Always lots of opinions on this subject. But it is pertinent to know that there are about a million different ways to exercise and the "traditional" ones may not be your cup of tea. For the record though, there is a such thing as aquatic strength training. You use floating dumbbells and it is INCREDIBLY hard. I can't say if it has any perceptible effects on bone mass. But I have personal anecdata from when I took such a class after I jacked up my knee, and I saw some pretty good results with muscular strengthand endurance. And they are relatively inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W1Z3OE/ref=asc_df_B001W1Z3OE2490965?smid=A2KL6DTWD7RBVL&tag=nextagusmp0382415-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001W1Z3OE

There isn't a ton of research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17194242
    http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1361&context=ijes
    http://www.institutosarkis.com.br/v1/artigos/novos/Effects_of_aquatic_resistance_training_on_neuromuscular_perf.pdf

It might be worth a try to see if you like it.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hate the constant DOMS?

If you stick with a routine for more than a couple of weeks then you'll stop getting it.

Sweating?

Well, when I do cardiovascular type work, I sweat like a pig. Don't really sweat so much when I'm lifting though......

At the end of the day, you don't have to do anything you don't like. You can certainly live a healthy, happy life without lifting.
    Just wanted to throw my 100% support and agreement to this comment.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be provocative but I guess there are others like me out there.

I love to swim, I am training to swim 2 miles in open water in August. I love moving through water, goign further and faster and I adore the head space training gives me.

I have tried with lifting, I have done free weights and machines, I have done bodyweight stuff. And you know what I hate it, I hate sweating, I hate forcing myself to do it and I hate the constant DOMS. SO I have stopped.

It may be that I am doing my body a dis service, and I feel bad about it, but the best way to keep active is doing something you love and can carry on doing

There are many things in life that I hate doing:
    -I don't enjoy lifting weights
    -I hate taking showers
    -I hate shaving my legs
    -I hate waking in the morning
    -I hate cooking
    -I hate not being able to eat brownies and ice cream every day
    -I hate going to the dentist
    -I hate studying ALL THE FREAKING TIME (I'm in law school lol)
    -I hate cleaning

But I do all of those things. Why?? Because many things in life are a pain to do, but the RESULTS are so worth it and I want them so bad, that I'm willing to suck it up for a few minutes and do what I hate doing. I don't enjoy lifting weights, but I want to be stronger, more fit, and healthier SO BADLY, that it's worth sucking it up for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I hate taking showers and shaving my legs, but I LOVE the feeling of being clean and hair-free, so I suck it up and just do it every day. I hate cooking, but a home-cooked healthy is SO WORTH THE PAIN of cooking it lol! I hate not eating brownies and ice cream everyday, but I would rather eat them on special occasions because my health is more important to me. I hate studying so much in law school, but if I want to do well and succeed, I have it and it'll be worth it in the end. I hate cleaning, but I LOVE the feeling of a clean house.

So evaluate how important the results from lifting weights are to you. How badly do you want it? If you don't really care, then don't lift. But if you REALLY, REALLY want the results, you just gotta suck it up and do it! That's life! But it'll be worth it in the end.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    do what u love. a good diet and active lifestyle is the key. there r sooo many weight lifters who r not healthy.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Uh... Good for you? If you don't enjoy weight lifting don't do it. Easy. Done. I don't like yoga. I find it cultish and boring so I don't do it. What ever. I am a bit confused what bone stuff is being covered by walking though?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Oh, jeez. Find something you love. Something sustainable for YOU. Don't listen to anyone else unless you are willing to suffer through somethin you aren't stoked about.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Cool. Nobody is going to make you lift the big bad weights.

I must say, I don't understand the point of creating a thread from a place of total negativity. You said you weren't trying to be provocative, but if that was the truth, you would have just started a thread talking about how great swimming is rather than seeking negative attention.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I Hate Pulp.

Poor Pulp.