House Cleaning count as Exercise?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness.

These threads always become a snarkfest.

That being said...if you're logging it, eating those cals back and it works? Good for you. If it doesn't? Re-evaluate. What one person considers exercise another may not. That's the lovely thing about being different people taking this journey. :flowerforyou:

Not quite sure how it is a 'snark fest" the OP asked for opinions on logging cleaning and got them...
  • apickles1978
    Options
    this is why I wear a BodyMedia band. I only count the total calories burned and consumed. When I am cleaning and doing laundry, I burn a lot actually. I do it with intensity, run up and down stairs. squat to pick up things...
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't count it. i count "exercise", not chores.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    Interesting thought - I noticed that even after all this time, MFP does not have it as an excercise. Maybe you could count it as a slow walk. (2.0) When I spend a couple hours at the mall, I usually divide the time in 1/2 and count that as a slow walk, for example. Not much, but it's definitely something.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Interesting thought - I noticed that even after all this time, MFP does not have it as an excercise. Maybe you could count it as a slow walk. (2.0) When I spend a couple hours at the mall, I usually divide the time in 1/2 and count that as a slow walk, for example. Not much, but it's definitely something.

Sure MFP has it as exercise.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options

Sure MFP has it as exercise.

Oh! Never noticed!
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    Also - whether you log it or not - it's certainly good for you to be moving around!
  • smnassise
    smnassise Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, moving is moving.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness.

These threads always become a snarkfest.

That being said...if you're logging it, eating those cals back and it works? Good for you. If it doesn't? Re-evaluate. What one person considers exercise another may not. That's the lovely thing about being different people taking this journey. :flowerforyou:

Not quite sure how it is a 'snark fest" the OP asked for opinions on logging cleaning and got them...

I didn't say this particular one was. If you go back and look at other threads with the same topic, it always gets snarky and rude. This one has actually been quite calm so far.
  • cocoloco122
    cocoloco122 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you expend energy you are burning calories.... yes, even breathing burns calories :)
    It IS listed on MFP as exercise.
  • millifred2
    millifred2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would say yes when it is deep cleaning such as I did today. Also, it depends on the person and their normal activity level. For some of us with health problems such as rheumatoid arthritis it is a big effort to do big cleaning jobs and we can't do workout type exercises. I also like to do gardening as exercise as it is useful as well as raising my heart rate , etc. If this is a lifestyle change that is going to last I am not going to spend the rest of my life working out on an elliptical machine. Unfortunately we don't have a public swimming pool closer than 50 miles so that doesn't leave many options.
  • millifred2
    millifred2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree, I am cleaning a 5000 square foot house with frequent visits from grandchildren!
  • indigo_rose
    indigo_rose Posts: 250
    Options
    I think it's a joke logging cleaning. Pretty sure we didn't just start cleaning when we.decided to eat right and exercise. And then I see people log "cleaning calories" and then turn around and eat those "earned" calories. They are not doing themselves any favors by doing this.

Hell to the yes!!! Amen to this!!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Glad to see someone agrees with me so enthusiastically : )