Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I started here about 2 months ago, put in my height and weight and that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week and it came up with 1200 calories. I work out everyday and that can vary from 300 to 1200 calories burned each day that I DO NOT EAT BACK. I stick with the 1200 calories that they told me to eat. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months. I have 40 to go and I plan on sticking with this as I have done to get the job done. When it's time to maintain, I will eat a little more. Prior to this loss of 20, I lost 26 pounds but it took me alot longer because I didn't work out as hard AND I ate more calories. YOU need to find out what works for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person won't work for all. Good luck to you!

Why are people so willing to credit/blame MFP for why they eat 1200 daily...("...because that's what MFP said to do")...but then don't eat back exercise calories? In case people don't know, eating back exercise calories is what MFP says to do too. (Yes, I realize there are other approaches where you wouldn't (such as a TDEE - X%), but those would almost certainly/very likely have you eating more than 1200.)

TL;DR - Cherry-picking pieces of the plan is *not* following the plan.

QF so much T
  • an2860
    an2860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 1200 calories for about 5 weeks now and have lost 9lbs so far. It works fine for me. I work out a lot, both cardio and power, and eat most of the calories I burned back. I'm not starving and I don't feel tired or weak.
    There were 2 occasions where I had to go out for dinner with friends and family, I ate what I wanted to eat then without counting the calories. I just worked out a little harder the next few days.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump

I have tried 1200 and now I am trying 1970 still looking for that happy medium. So frustrating.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I did this, and like everyone else told me to, it was a bad idea. Gained it all back. Now I eat to fuel my body and never have to starve again. Maybe become educated? talk to a nutritionist?

I'm pretty sure you would've gained it back even if you weren't at 1200 before. There's nothing magic about 1200 that makes you gain it back, eating over maintenance does that.

What makes you think we're not educated about nutrition?
  • muztangsax
    muztangsax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

Love this!
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did this, and like everyone else told me to, it was a bad idea. Gained it all back. Now I eat to fuel my body and never have to starve again. Maybe become educated? talk to a nutritionist?

Why do you assume that if it didn't work for you that I'm an idiot and it won't work for me? I'M NOT YOU!!!!!
  • sarahz1442
    Options
    I started here about 2 months ago, put in my height and weight and that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week and it came up with 1200 calories. I work out everyday and that can vary from 300 to 1200 calories burned each day that I DO NOT EAT BACK. I stick with the 1200 calories that they told me to eat. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months. I have 40 to go and I plan on sticking with this as I have done to get the job done. When it's time to maintain, I will eat a little more. Prior to this loss of 20, I lost 26 pounds but it took me alot longer because I didn't work out as hard AND I ate more calories. YOU need to find out what works for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person won't work for all. Good luck to you!

Why are people so willing to credit/blame MFP for why they eat 1200 daily...("...because that's what MFP said to do")...but then don't eat back exercise calories? In case people don't know, eating back exercise calories is what MFP says to do too. (Yes, I realize there are other approaches where you wouldn't (such as a TDEE - X%), but those would almost certainly/very likely have you eating more than 1200.)

TL;DR - Cherry-picking pieces of the plan is *not* following the plan.

BECAUSE I AM FULL ON 1200 CALORIES A DAY. I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE MYSELF TO EAT MORE WHEN I'M FULL. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.
  • sarahz1442
    Options

I'm pretty sure you would've gained it back even if you weren't at 1200 before. There's nothing magic about 1200 that makes you gain it back, eating over maintenance does that.

yep. All these people who yo-yo dieted are lecturing us. I have never yo-yo dieted. I suddenly gained weight after I turned 35. Now I'm thin again and planning to stay that way. So, all these people who failed think that they have the answers for me, but they do not.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Why do you assume that if it didn't work for you that I'm an idiot and it won't work for me? I'M NOT YOU!!!!!

Please read the article I posted.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

Noone's going to stop you from eating however you want, but if you are going to cut so drastically please consider the options outlined in it.

Additionally, the primary issues with extreme cuts outside of adherance are LBM retention, the potential for water weight to 'mask' significant losses resulting in the dieter cutting even more fervently, and having to order food from the crappy part of the menu when you go out to eat.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I began on Jan. 4th of this year, with the default MFP set for me of 1,200. I did lose weight pretty quickly, until late Feb., when I hit a plateau that lasted over a month, even though I was measuring accurately and painstakingly entering everything into my MFP diary. I was working out like crazy too, with a mix of cardio and medium to heavy lifting. I was not usually eating all the exercise calories back either, so was averaging a net that was less than 1,200 most days.
    It sucked to be eating so few calories and not seeing any loss for so long. Also, during that time, I wasn't seeing much in the way of inches lost either.

Then, per advice I'd read in these forums, I upped my net calorie goal to 1,390 and I upped my protein intake goals to 35 %, fats 35%, and carbs 30 %. Since then I've been feeling much better...more energetic, can lift heavier, and am seeing very good and steady weight loss progress.

I think, at least from my experience, that 1,200 *will* get you results for a while, but that amount is not sustainable for the years to come, if your long-term goal is for good fitness and health for the rest of your life.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    BECAUSE I AM FULL ON 1200 CALORIES A DAY. I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE MYSELF TO EAT MORE WHEN I'M FULL. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

You can be full on 1200 calories and that's fine. There are people who truly need to eat very little (my wife is one of them, she's forced into a very sedentary lifestyle because of her work schedule). However are you getting adequate protein and fat from your diet? Many people who eat so little do not end up getting adequate nutrition and can suffer health consequences down the road because of it. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but rather am pointing out its importance particularly since you have so little wiggle room.
  • pimbriglia
    pimbriglia Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a junk eater, especially sweets, once I start eating, I can't stop. I absolutely love MFP. I am diligent about logging in my food and exercise. Now, I stop and think before I eat something. It has been one month and I lost 7 pounds. I walk 3 miles about 3 times a week and also do some light weights for my arms. It is amazing how great I feel. Now, I must admit that yesterday, for the first time in a month, I ate sweets. So I went above the 1200 calories. I did not enjoy the sweets as much as I used to. I think your body gets used to eating right and the old habit doesn't fit anymore. I am back on track today. I have another 7 to lose. I am basically just trying to be a healthier eater and to exercise regularily. MFP is like a personal trainer to me. I never counted calories before. Like weight watchers, MFP teaches you portion control. I cannot believe how many caloires are in dinner rolls. When I went out to dinner before, I would mindlessly eat several rolls dipped in olive oil. Now I pass on the rolls so I can eat more of my actual dinner. It is all about making the right choices. There are time when I eat more than the 1200 calories. I found that as long as you are 1200 calories or less the majority of the week I still lose weight. Good luck.
  • sarahz1442
    Options

Please read the article I posted.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

Noone's going to stop you from eating however you want, but if you are going to cut so drastically please consider the options outlined in it.

Additionally, the primary issues with extreme cuts outside of adherance are LBM retention, the potential for water weight to 'mask' significant losses resulting in the dieter cutting even more fervently, and having to order food from the crappy part of the menu when you go out to eat.

I am finished losing weight. I am no longer making sure to eat a 1200 calorie diet. I'm not really sure how many calories I'm eating now because I don't log anymore. I'll log again if I gain weight. So far I haven't gained weight. I didn't view 1,200 as an extreme cut regardless because it felt fine to me. So, for people who never diet in their life, if they naturally eat 1,200 calories a day because that's what their body tells them to eat, you think they are malnurished? You think that nobody can intuitively know what to eat and we all need to count calories?

Haven't read it. Will read later when I'm not at work. I lost weight pretty steadily though and water weight did not mask anything. I just lost weight. I never cut even more. I just stuck to 1,200 when I was trying to lose.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

You can be full on 1200 calories and that's fine. There are people who truly need to eat very little (my wife is one of them, she's forced into a very sedentary lifestyle because of her work schedule). However are you getting adequate protein and fat from your diet? Many people who eat so little do not end up getting adequate nutrition and can suffer health consequences down the road because of it. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but rather am pointing out its importance particularly since you have so little wiggle room.

I don't have a very large appetite either, 1,200 is my usual intake per day. As I know I only eat small amounts meals usually have to be planned carefully in advance, or at least they did initially. Now as I tend to eat pretty samey, I know what will give me a wide range of the nutrients I need.

I would say to those of us who do eat 1,200 calories a day, plan in advance and eat as many nutrient rich foods as you can. As many veggies as possible with good sources of protein and fats. I am T2 diabetic so eat 25g or less of carbs a day which come from veggies and berries the only fruit I eat. It is possible to have a good healthy nutritional diet on 1,200 calories a day, but it needs to be managed well.

I have lost over 100 pounds in 14 and a half months, calories always between 1,200 - 1,500 a day and my blood work and general heath is excellent.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 for a while and found it to be fine but when i stalled i switched to 5:2 which works better for me. I defiantly don't agree about the whole "1200 cals is practically anorexic". And frankly eating 1200 calories a day was much healthier for me then eating 3500 calories a day, but there will always be a debate about it. In terms of dieting the 1200 calories vs more is all about how fast you want to lose the weight, for the average person on here 1200 is set for 2lbs a week, on my 5:2 diet the average loss is 1lb a week, it all depends on what pace you are comfortable with. Its all about personal preference and your journey and many doctors are fine with 1200cals a day because it is safer then staying at your current weight. I know this is a sensitive topic and i dont want to get flamed on the forums but most diets work if you work them, and in terms of the comment about gaining everything back after, yes if you go back to pigging out as soon as you lose weight you will rapidly gain it back...or you could just spend 5min online to find out your tdee and eat at that. Just a suggestion.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I am finished losing weight. I am no longer making sure to eat a 1200 calorie diet. I'm not really sure how many calories I'm eating now because I don't log anymore. I'll log again if I gain weight. So far I haven't gained weight. I didn't view 1,200 as an extreme cut regardless because it felt fine to me. So, for people who never diet in their life, if they naturally eat 1,200 calories a day because that's what their body tells them to eat, you think they are malnurished? You think that nobody can intuitively know what to eat and we all need to count calories?

Haven't read it. Will read later when I'm not at work. I lost weight pretty steadily though and water weight did not mask anything. I just lost weight. I never cut even more. I just stuck to 1,200 when I was trying to lose.

Fullness isn't the only indicator that you're getting adequate nutrition. I was emphasizing the importance of getting sufficient macro and micro nutrients which is harder on a 1200 calorie diet (but not impossible depending on your size, age, etc) than on one with more calories.

Further I was listing the primary concerns in general for such a low calorie diet, not claiming that you were having those problems.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options

yep. All these people who yo-yo dieted are lecturing us. I have never yo-yo dieted. I suddenly gained weight after I turned 35. Now I'm thin again and planning to stay that way. So, all these people who failed think that they have the answers for me, but they do not.

Of course I was a YO YO dieter, I would only eat 1200 cals, and if I increased them, just a little bit, my weight would increase, just a little bit. I can not live off of 1200 cals for the rest of my life, what ever choice a person makes to lose weight is one you have to live with. But - I am not everyone, and like I SAID everyone is different. Someone asks a question and I gave my opinion, I WAS THE UNEDUCATED person, so I talked to a nutritionist, so I was suggesting that. =)
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Just want to add, best of luck to everyone whether they eat 1200 calories or 3000, may everyone find peace within themselves and have success!
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have 1260 calories a day, I work out mostly 5 days out of the week. I have lost 29 lbs since Feb. I'm not starving myself and I'm pretty happy with my results so far.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...1200 cal is a very restrictive diet, and will only cause weight gain when you return to normal portions, and will most likley cause you to cheat alot as you will not have what your body needs to maintain its self...

I honest to goodness do.not find 1200 calories a day "very restrictive" ~ I welcome you to look at my (open) diary and see that I AM eating "normal portions" and I sincerely do not feel any inclination to "cheat a lot". I'm willing to eat more if I'm hungry, I don't feel concern over eating piece of cake or couple glasses of wine.

IMO it's individual to us all. I'm a short, older, not very active woman who is truly satisfied on 1200 calories and I do not deprive myself at all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!