Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, of course eating tiny amounts is dangerous..that's common sense. There is however no magic number below which no one can function healthily.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 43lb on 1200 calories a day.

HOWEVER, now I'm near maintenance, I have found I have had to up my calories and strength train to keep my metabolism "up".

My advice: start at higher than 1200 and then go lower only if you cant lose at 1600, 1500, or whatever.
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!

I won't see you back at the start line in a year!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

There is an important word in the above...AVERAGE....we are not all average. If I ate 1700 calories a day every day, I'd be the size of a house in a couple of years.

How tall are you? I am 5 foot 3.5 and eat between 1700 and 2200 every day (according to exercise) and I am no where close to being as big as a house.

I was a believer in 1200 a day as well, until I upped to 1400 and OMG I felt so much better, and did not realize that I did not feel as good until I felt better, if that makes sense. Then I upped to 1500 and kept losing and felt FANTASTIC.

One thing I will say is that I am pretty much a clean eater and I exercise a great deal, so 1200 is not an option unless I am stressed then I am happy with any calories I can get in my body.
  • jodieh06
    jodieh06 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories for short periods at a time, dropping about 10lb (in say 6 weeks) then slowly going back up to around 2000 for a few months before starting the cycle again. Its a slow process, but i'm on my last 10-15lbs and its a way to get your body used to staying at that weight.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My journey

2/27/12 started with myfitnesspal at 146 pounds eating 1000 calories a day

5/25/12 weighing in at 128.8 increased my calories to 1100 a day

6/8/12 weighing in at 126.4 increased my calories to 1200 a day

7/6/12 weighing in at 124.8 increased my calories to 1300 a day

7/20/12 weighing in at 124.6 increased my calories to 1400 a day

8/3/12 weighing in at 124.4 increased my calories to 1500 a day

10/10/12 weighing in at 124.3 increased my calories to 1700 a day

I started out at 1000 a day because I was used to skipping supper so eating all day long was an adjustment for me. I took baby steps and had success. I am now maintaining eating around 1500 to 1700 a day :}
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

!!!!! *starts slow clap*
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I ate 12-1300 a day for around seven months and dropped around 3.5 stone. I worked out five times a week and didn't eat back exercise calories. Then iv been eating around 1800-2000 for past few months and have continued to lose slowly, doing two body pump, two cardio classes like combat, step, zumba and a yoga-pilates class every week. I often eat over 2000 a day and i haven't put any back on. My goals are now more fitness related and looking to reduce body fat. I am the most "defined" i have ever been as an adult. I was always very slim before i went on horrible meds so now iv lost the medication weight Im all about keeping as fit as possible and getting stronger.
    I don't advocate a 1200 cal per day diet, its not for everyone and is a short term thing in my opinion. I am lucky that my metabolism has not suffered in any way and i am so grateful to be back at the size Im meant to be after everything i went through with steroids. And Im loving being fit!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i started eating 1200 calories a day 3 years ago . dropped down from 187 lbs to 130 lbs in about a year . then it started being harder to lose so i kept restricting more and more and more, i went to the gym and literally burned about 1600 cals DAILY and eating under 500 cals at that time ( that means i was under my calorie goal of about 1100 cals) of course i continued losing weight and muscle mainly wich was annoying . i was going to the gym but looking fatter since my muscle were leaving faster then my fat. it became an obsession and i have now been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa this monday. i am not saying eating less calories will turn you anorexic . i am just saying if you are a perfectionist like me restricting will just make you wanna be harder and harder on yourself rather then realizing what is going on . i know what i have been doing is stupid. or half of me does anyway and then there is the sick part who just bully me into restricting more and more . it is hell . i regret every part of it . you can drop pounds eating 1200 cals a day but know when to stop ... listen to your body , don't starve it eat back your calories from exercise and make good food choices
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    So I've read a lot of the replies on here and I would say I'm a little confused. Most people seem to agree that 1200 calories it "too little" for most people. MyFitnessPal set my "goal" for calories at 1210, and honestly, I usually eat more than that.
    I'd just like to get an objective opinion from someone well-informed. I'm about 5'3" and I have a small frame. I'm largely sedentary as my office job requires me to sit on my tuckus all day long. Could 1200-1250 be right for me?
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough for your brain and your heart to work even if you are laying around all day!!!! Get educated people. I was one of you at one time but as soon as someone told me I could lose and eat more and feel better I did it. It's your turn! Take control and fuel your body! Unless you are about 4'5 and I highly doubt that you should be eating more. Find out what your BMR is then eat to that if not more.

Editing to tell you that I lost 20 lbs a while back doing the 1200 calorie thing...I didn't think I was hungry but I was tired a lot of the time....I gained it all back because it was unrealistic to lose that much in such a short time. Now I'm eating right and losing again. Started about a month ago and I've lost 6 lbs. :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Check this post. It can help you figure out what you really need to know.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

So I've read a lot of the replies on here and I would say I'm a little confused. Most people seem to agree that 1200 calories it "too little" for most people. MyFitnessPal set my "goal" for calories at 1210, and honestly, I usually eat more than that.
    I'd just like to get an objective opinion from someone well-informed. I'm about 5'3" and I have a small frame. I'm largely sedentary as my office job requires me to sit on my tuckus all day long. Could 1200-1250 be right for me?
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Can someone help ?? what is TDEE ??
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    check this link out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

• Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Check this out...heybales spreadsheet. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/890617-haybales-spreadsheet
  • armingone
    armingone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The trick is your NET calories should be 1200. If you work out, eat more. If you sit around eat 1200, but eat low calorie high fiber foods, like veggies and lean protein so you're not starving. When I eat healthy, some days I had a hard time eating all of the food I would have to to hit 1200, so on those days, I treat myself to some empty calories. When I work out, I eat as much as I have to to get those calories back. Keep your NET at 1200 and you will lose/maintain weight. :) P.S. doing this and just wearing a fitbit, I lost 30 pounds in just 4 months and just won the Biggest Loser contest at my job. :)
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I NET 1200min-1400 per day.

I usually eat 1600-1800, burn around 400 with exercise.

If I am hungry I will eat more, and then exercise more. I know it's not precise, but it works for me.

Don't go hungry!

5'2
    SW: 189
    CW: 138
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am what the workout more eat more people like to call "skinny fat". Oddly enough I am just happy to have the word skinny in there somewhere so they can keep saying it to me. :-)

While I was losing I averaged 1200. Now a days I live at about 1600 and have been maintaining and actually losing a little since Sept.

The first pic is 218.6lbs and the second was taken this morning at 116lbs

double2_zps000cdfd2.jpg
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough for your brain and your heart to work even if you are laying around all day!!!! Get educated people. I was one of you at one time but as soon as someone told me I could lose and eat more and feel better I did it. It's your turn! Take control and fuel your body! Unless you are about 4'5 and I highly doubt that you should be eating more. Find out what your BMR is then eat to that if not more.

Editing to tell you that I lost 20 lbs a while back doing the 1200 calorie thing...I didn't think I was hungry but I was tired a lot of the time....I gained it all back because it was unrealistic to lose that much in such a short time. Now I'm eating right and losing again. Started about a month ago and I've lost 6 lbs. :)

Oh my goodness if my brain and heart aren't working how am I even typing this??
    Seriously though congrats on your loss but 1200 net does work for a lot of ppl who feel fine doing it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!