Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

Not arguing, just have a legit question.. If 1200 is so bad for you, why does MFP tell me to eat 1200? Is it because I'm so short, and over weight, or is it so I can lose weight and then they will alter it after I record my weight loss? I'm confused, I want to get HEALTHY, not lose weight then gain it back.
    First of all MFP is generalized. second of all if you read my inititial post it DOES work until you eat normal. Also mfp set you at a cal deficit 1200 isn't what you are suppose to live on.

1200 net calories is one thing. Obviously if you eat 2400 and burn 1200 that is one thing.

I am not telling anyone not to do it, I am merely saying that it isn't a wise choice for the long term. Yes there probably are exceptions to the rule. I saw someone mention they ate 1500 after losing the weight with 1200 and are maintaining. The funny thing is 1500 is still a deficit for most :) Do what makes you Hally but do not be surprised when you find yourself yo yo'ing either. BTW the health risks of yo yo dieting are also quite bad for your body. :)
  • pinkcoconutz
    Options
    great post, Serena - I am curious, what is your height? (I am 5'10") thanks!
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I don't think you can blame eating a diet of 1000 or 1200 calories on your gain. You say that you "ate normal". What does that mean? I think normal is different for everyone. If you aren't maintaining a calorie intake equal to what you are burning then you will either gain or lose. No matter the deficit you had when you were losing. I would think that would be self explanatory.
    Normal 3 meals a day 1600 to 2200 calories a day. You know... I ate, like normal people do. I gained the weight plus more by doing the 1200 calorie loss. Now I eat 1600 to 2400 (sometimes much more) I eat more now then ever I had an awful relationship with food. I do not eat clean. The scale is dropping. Inches are shedding. Even when I worked out and ate about 1400 I didn't have this luxury. I wouldn't go back to that if you paid me.

Also let me add by eating 1600 to 2400 cals I am only eating what my body needs to live on. :) sedentary to maintain my weight I need 1997 cals. I can live this way forever I won't fall off the wagon this is not diet this is a lifestyle.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    great post, Serena - I am curious, what is your height? (I am 5'10") thanks!
    5'8" :) cw 140lbs four months after my daughter. Eating whatever I want :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I would feel ill on 1200 calories, and totally unable to sustain my workouts.
    But then, I am 5'10 tall.
    I lost weight eating 1800-2000 calories a day, and doing daily bike riding.
    And even on that, the end result was pretty unattractive. Skinny, bony, no muscle, no shape.
    Now on 2000-2500 and am developing some nice muscle and have the energy to fuel my strength and cardio workouts, and get in plenty of nutrients.

I strongly suggest anyone considering 1200, at least check out the topic on this site called 'in place of a road map'.

Um, many people came here eating 2000-2500, so it probably wouldn't help them lose pounds, even tho' it works for you. We are all different-- not snowflakes, just different: sizes, ages, starting weights, activity levels, etc.

I'm hard pressed to believe that 'many' people become overweight eating 2000 calories a day. I can literally sit around doing nothing but breathing, eat 1900 calories, and break even. And I'm 5'4(ish).

I think most people eat far far more than they think.
  • missgloria100
    Options
    I'm new here and after going through this sites evaluation of me the end result was to eat 1200 cal. I thought that was low but I seem to being doing fine after about a month or so on it. I join this site sometime in Oct. of last year but it never really took hold. My daughter brought me back to the site when she found it and I was surprised I was already a member.

I'm 60 yrs. old don't really exercise. So 1200 cal makes sense to me. I'm also diabetic so I have to be careful about getting a low blood count. I actually am doing much better with my diabetes since I've started this diet. I've had a check up with my doctor while doing this and he is pleasantly surprised and says it's fine as long as I'm doing fine. And so far it has been fine. I've started to walk so maybe I'll up the calories as I get going on the exercise if I feel weak or something. But for now I seem to have plenty of energy and feel full at meals and just try really hard to eat 3 square meals a day with 2 snacks (yogurt or fruit usually). I believe you can do the 1200 calories a day if your small frame like me, and I'm only 5 feet tall. Petite I believe is the word they use for my body type. So making sure that the 1200 calories is all good healthy food is key. What you put in you can make or break you. So I do my best to make my calories all good food. Plenty of water too to help put the weight loss out of your system.

I've lost 11 lbs. (not all here) on 1200 calories. Which is pretty much 400 calorie meals. I allow my self snacks but it's all counted in the 1200 somehow. I eat if I feel hungry but so far 1200 calories seem to be enough.

I'm only going on the advice of this site which recommended I do a 1200 calorie diet. So far so good. I'll keep you posted. I think as long as I eat right at 1200 calories I'll be fine, I'll keep you posted.

We are all different and just like us no two diets are the same. I keep my meals interesting and flavorful. There are plenty of diet books to help keep meals interesting. Seems like the new thing these days are 400 calorie diet. There are cookbooks coming out daily it seems. So pick one up and be creative. God Bless, take care, until next time...stay focused.
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was just telling someone how supportive everyone was on this site...what's going on? Anyways, reading the other comments, I think I may up my calories as well
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

That comment you made about "I'll be there before you" is not what this site is about. Please be respectful and only give positive feedback.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in June, 2011 - but did not actually use it until October of that same year. When I did start using it, I was only 10-15lbs away from my goal weight (140lbs, then 130lbs.) I was on 1200 calories until mid-November, after I had reached 130lbs. I gradually upped my calories from 1,200 to 2,000, adding about 200 a week until I got to 2,000. While I was on 1,200 calories, I had a spike day once a week, where I would eat at least 2,000 calories, often more.

I had no issues gaining any of the weight back, but I was tired all the time on 1,200 calories. I ate about 1/2 of my exercise calories back.

I still have a spike day once a week, sometimes twice, and now eat 2,000 calories a day plus exercise calories - which is me on maintenance mode. I did gain about 10lbs over the past Christmas season, when I stopped exercising and stopped logging food for nearly 3 months due to a series of stressful events in my life - but have since lost that weight and am back to my normal routine again. (It took about a month to drop the 10lbs, and I was eating 1600-1700 calories, with one spike day a week.)

When people ask me what I did to lose the weight, I always tell them I don't recommend eating 1,200 calories. It's not healthy, and definitely not necessary. I felt like crap almost all the time when I was doing that, like I could pass out and fall over at any time. Exercise was near torture. My lunch usually consisted of a small granola bar and a cup of plain tea. My meals were tiny and I obsessed horribly over every little thing. I really think I could have done just as well, if not better, eating 1600-1700 calories instead of 1200.

Just because I was not permanently damaged from eating so little, doesn't mean someone else couldn't be. I did it for just under two months, with spike days, vs. someone doing it for even longer without spike days could potentially harm their metabolism and internal organs. I have learned a lot since joining MFP from many people, but the most important thing is that eating less doesn't necessarily mean losing more. It often means a slower, ****tier metabolism, a weak, flabby body, and deteriorated insides. I prefer being thin, strong, and able to eat what I want in normal amounts because I work out hard and fuel my body properly.
  • KeraNique
    KeraNique Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only eat 1200 calories plus I exercise every morning for 30 mins - 90 mins. I started this on Jan 1st. As part of my New Years Resolution and I have dropped two sizes. From a size 18 closer to a 20 down to a size 14 and went from a 44ddd to a 38ddd. I think that 1200 is a good place for me. Seeing all these different comments I guess everyone is different. I haven't had any bad results.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would feel ill on 1200 calories, and totally unable to sustain my workouts.
    But then, I am 5'10 tall.
    I lost weight eating 1800-2000 calories a day, and doing daily bike riding.
    And even on that, the end result was pretty unattractive. Skinny, bony, no muscle, no shape.
    Now on 2000-2500 and am developing some nice muscle and have the energy to fuel my strength and cardio workouts, and get in plenty of nutrients.

I strongly suggest anyone considering 1200, at least check out the topic on this site called 'in place of a road map'.

Um, many people came here eating 2000-2500, so it probably wouldn't help them lose pounds, even tho' it works for you. We are all different-- not snowflakes, just different: sizes, ages, starting weights, activity levels, etc.

My dear, I suggest you re-read my post and tell me where I said that what works for me, will work for someone else? I did not. You just felt some urgent need to pick some sort of an issue. This is not the first time you have done this in a topic I have partaken in. Butting in and suggesting someone has said something they have not. Irritating. And time to ignore you, I think.

To those with a bit more sense and willingness to see my post for what it was, my intake is high because I workout from 60-120 minutes a day, intensely.
    I found it counterproductive to starve myself down to an unsustainable weight, using unsustainable means, if there was another option available.
    Everyone must do what they feel is best for them. But many on this site, tried the 1200 route, and ended up stalling, with a body they disliked as much as their original body due to loss of muscle mass, or ended up with binge eating issues.
  • DistractedGrace
    Options
    bump
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

you had me until you said starvation mode...sorry but you can't be eating 1200 cals a day and be in starvation mode. Your body will not start to consume muscle for energy unless you eat nothing for three days and even then, the effects of starvation mode are minimal...
    Yes well they may be minimal if you do it now and again. However the effects of starvation mode for prolonged periods of time are proven to eventually kill you , And yes cause heart failure.

Also 1200 is starving, it may not make your body consume your heart but it (as was said by another poster and myself) messes with your metabolism and is not a goal to aim for (for most!).

Perhaps another word would be better but "starving" pretty much sums up my experience with 1200 calories. That or "ravenous" and "b%tchy" :p
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ people. This is in the "Success Stories" forum. If you want to go talk about how great your method of losing weight is, fine. But there are about 10000000 other places on the internet to do it. The OP asked for success stories from people who ate at 1200 calories. Your answers are not relevant to this question. If you don't have answers that are relevant, you really shouldn't be answering.

@OP - I eat 1200 calories and I am happy with my progress. As far as I am concerned, if I am happy with how I'm doing, that is all that matters. If I regret it in a year - fine, I'll come back and bow down to the MFP gods who clearly know SO much more about health and well-being than anyone else on this Earth. But until then, I'm proud of how far I've come and when I reach my goal, I'll post a success story. I'm sorry I didn't start sooner so I could post one for you now.

i'm sorry, but its in my humble opinion that if your asking for advice on whether to eat 1200 calories or not you should be looking for advice and stories from both ends of the spectrum. you can hear all you want that something is the right decision and never hear opposition telling you otherwise and possibly make a decision that is wrong for you in the end. thats the point of a decision and an opinion is to know that there are differing options.

like i said before, not trying to rant or be on a soap box because your body is your body and by all means do with it what you please because i am no one to tell you what to do with it, but if you only consider the successes of something and not the failures you are not making an informed decision.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't actually understand how all these people are getting terrible results on 1200kcals. I feel (and look) great!

^^Ditto^^ - love your answer, and am sending you a friend request! Cheers!
  • petamanarcarolyn
    Options

agreed!!! the body needs fuel to work!! end of story.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My experience with uber low cals:

Started dieting at 205. Had no knowledge of healthy dieting and did a gang of cardio and a big deficit to try and lose it all in one month. I have never been so miserable over vanity in my life. I stopped this after awhile. I noticed when I was on that big of a deficit all I did was binge. When you walk around starving all day 6 days a week, the free day feels like your last day on Earth.

In Jan of this year I had another insanely stupid idea: I'd work out every single day and stay in a deficit of 1k a day. I lost all kinds of LBM and little fat. Your body can only oxidize so much fat a day, I'm not sure if it's known how much yet. At the end I realized my metabolism had slowed to a crawl. I literally could not lose weight the whole month after that until I learned about reverse dieting and all that other good stuff.

My advice: Don't do that *kitten*. STAHP. HALT. CEASE. FREEZE. I lost all kinds of muscle.

In retrospect, it was a pretty poor choice to put myself in such a huge deficit and such a rush when I was cutting purely for vanity. You shouldn't put an unreal time-frame on it, especially if you're not getting paid for your physique.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Before my pregnancy I did great at 1200 net (obviously I upped my cals when I got pregnant). Anyways I was netting 1200 so I ate my exercise cals. I did lifiting so I kept the lean mass I needed and had muscles unlike what some people are going on about. It works for a lot of people. Not everyone. Try it and see how you feel, it may not be for you.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My experience with uber low cals:

Started dieting at 205. Had no knowledge of healthy dieting and did a gang of cardio and a big deficit to try and lose it all in one month. I have never been so miserable over vanity in my life. I stopped this after awhile. I noticed when I was on that big of a deficit all I did was binge. When you walk around starving all day 6 days a week, the free day feels like your last day on Earth.

In Jan of this year I had another insanely stupid idea: I'd work out every single day and stay in a deficit of 1k a day. I lost all kinds of LBM and little fat. Your body can only oxidize so much fat a day, I'm not sure if it's known how much yet. At the end I realized my metabolism had slowed to a crawl. I literally could not lose weight the whole month after that until I learned about reverse dieting and all that other good stuff.

My advice: Don't do that *kitten*. STAHP. HALT. CEASE. FREEZE. I lost all kinds of muscle.

In retrospect, it was a pretty poor choice to put myself in such a huge deficit and such a rush when I was cutting purely for vanity. You shouldn't put an unreal time-frame on it, especially if you're not getting paid for your physique.

i really dont see how anyone could look at your profile on here and think that you're going about it wrong based on your pictures...just saying.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    People who claim that just because something didn't work for them that it won't work for anyone else aren't very bright. 1200 calories worked just fine for me. I lost 30 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet, was never starving and always felt just fine. I upped the calories once I was done and haven't gained any of it back.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    do you mean only eating 1200 a day or netting 1200 a day?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!