How much do you all workout in a day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I spend 20 to 30 minutes warming up and cooling down every day (includes dynamic and static stretching and joint mobility work, as well as foam rolling). On lifting days (MWF), my actual workouts take 45 to 50 minutes, which includes 5 to 10 minutes of high-intensity interval training for cardio. I do HIIT for 20 to 30 minutes on one of my non-lifting days, and I rest the other three days.
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I get in at least 10,000 steps per day (the best motivation I've found to get up and moving is my Fitbit). 10,000 steps might sound unattainable to some people -- but I work a regular 40-hour-week desk job, so if I can do it then everyone can. I do little things like walk to the downstairs bathroom instead of using the bathroom on my floor, and taking ten-minute walking breaks around the parking lot.

I also run two + miles four - five times a week and do strength training two - three times a week.

Now I'm just maintaining, but when I started this a few months ago, I was at 130 and wanted to lose 5 pounds. I did this in conjunction with a 1,200 calorie diet. Now that I'm at my goal weight of 125, I do this and make sure that I take in 1,200 calories PLUS however many calories I lost by exercising.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't done more than 45min in the gym. If I go for a hike or bike ride on the weekend then it is longer but those days are not on a regular basis. I look at it like this, yes I'm changing my life and adding activity to it but I'm also looking ahead. I may be working out now to lose weight but what do I want to be doing in a couple years? I'm not going to go overboard with hours of workouts now knowing I won't sustain that for the rest of my life. I've incorporated activity into my life on a sustainable level.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    On average at least 45 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how much you all are working out in a day average. I'm a newbie and I'm curious to see how you all are losing your weight by your daily exercise. :)

Diet for weight control (lose/maintain/gain); exercise for fitness. Unless you're an athlete and/or training for a specific sporting event it is completely unnecessary to spend endless hours working out.

My advice would be to set fitness goals that are completely independent of your weight loss goals and calorie burn. When you have independent fitness goals, it opens up a whole new world of fitness and you'll be much happier and more fit in the long run.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    45 - 50 minutes depending on what time I get to the pool
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do "exercise" 3 times a week. Spend 5-10 minutes with a warmup jog on the treadmill, then do my lifting, which takes about an hour or so.

The other days of the week I have no planned "exercise" but I'm often active. I tend to play tennis 1-5 times a week, go mountain biking, caving, hiking, etc.

So I tend to be engaged in vigorous activity around 10-20 hours per week.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i walk about 2 miles at lunch (i only have 30 minutes and usually eat before at my desk) and maybe another mile at my afternoon break, then usually about 3 miles or so on the arc trainer (mountain climb is my favorite program) and really get the sweat going about 4 times a week, and i've started swimming for about 20-25 minutes a couple of times a week. a quick strength workout (legs 2x week. arms, back, chest 2x week) and on the weekend i'll try to get a workout done but usually i'll just wii zumba at home.

so i guess in a day it all adds up to egad... about 2 hours? i didn't even realize it until i typed that out....
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mon - brisk walk 70min and 1h badminton
    Tue - brisk walk 70min and 30 min resistance with personal trainer
    Wed - brisk walk 70min and 1h zumba
    Thu - brisk walk 70min and 1h zumba
    Fri - brisk walk 70min and 30 Jillian
    Sat- run 5k and 1h badminton
    Sun - 1h zumba and 1 h badminton

Sometimes I will hit the gym for some lifting, usually when it rains and I don't feel like walking to work and back. Love zumba and badminton, don't even count that as a workout. :smile:
  • txwarriormama
    Options
    I am pretty new, too, but on a mission. I am trying to work out for 60-ish minutes every day, when possible. I like to hit my community fitness center and do treadmill (using incline programs) and then stationary bike, with a little weights tossed in here and there. I am down 6.4 pounds so far in less than a month. I do eat my workout calories to make sure my body keeps burning. So far the big challenge when I work out hard is eating my workout calories to stay in my net calorie range, but I am determined.

-Chrissy
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I did no exercise while actively trying to lose weight. After transitioning into maintenance I started walking 10 miles a week and I also do Mark Lauren's strength training program 3 times a week, for 30 minutes a time (his book for women is called Body by You).