STARVING!!! after morning cereal

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    NOT good advice, eat breakfast--- MUCH better for your metabolism.

This is a myth. Frequent meals do not increase metabolism.

Eating breakfast is good for me because it helps me eat less for lunch, but for a lot of people do better with no breakfast.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    1. Don't eat until you are "truly hungry" if possible. I cannot eat at 6:00 in the morning so I take my breakfast to work with me and eat about 8:00 (I have to be at work at 7:30). I eat a packet of instant sugar free brown sugar flavored oatmeal and it keeps me full! I also usually have a banana or a packet of "no sugar added" applesauce midmorning if I get "hungry".

2. Listen to your body! Stop telling yourself you are "starving"....your body hears what you are saying to it...Tell your body that it isn't starving; it is digesting what you just fed it...give it a chance to "feel" full. If that doesn't work, drink a lot of water.

3. Anyhow, that's what works for me! Good luck!
  • prismperfect
    prismperfect Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't do cereal either, I am starving a half hour later. For the past 6 months every day I just make peanut butter toast with one 35 calorie slice of wheat bread, and that keeps me full until my yogurt snack in 3 hours. Just eat something with protein and you should be full, maybe even check out the Special K or Kashi protein cereals.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good suggestions for breakfast, so I just want to add that you likely ate a lot more than 2 servings of cereal if you ate a bowl-full. That's the reason I stopped eating cereal even though I love it. When you actually weigh out a serving size it's a miniscule amount.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love my breakfast!I have porridge made with water and a half teaspoon of honey blueberries sprinkled on top,it takes 3 minutes to cook !I then have 2 slices of toast with real butter and a banana with a cup of tea! i eat at 7.15 and dont need to eat again until about 11.30,its a good idea to eat every 3 hours anyway to keep your blood sugar stable!
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do oatmeal, and if I get hungry soon after, I add a few teaspoons of benefiber to some water and that seems to hold me.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS hungry if I eat cereal in the morning. I have started to eat high protein foods, eggs and chicken sausage, turkey bacon or greek yogurt. That really helps me. :) Good luck!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of people that are very hungry in the morning after eating cold cereals.

That said, I love them (Honey Bunches of Oats is my absolute favourite)! So if I want to eat them, I just plan on a morning snack of something I *do* find filling to eat a little later - say, maybe an apple or some nuts.

Also, I've learned that hunger will not hurt me. . . if I know I've gotten enough calories in the morning, I'll try to drink some water or coffee to fill me up, and that ravenous feeling will pass as I get busy with something distracting. It's all good.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs with a high glycemic index make your blood glucose yoyo. First too high, then too low (as your body is designed for dealing with fruit, not grains and sugars). A couple of hours later the low blood sugar causes cravings for more carbs. Either lower the glycemic index by combining with protein and fats, (ie slowing down the rate at which the food is converted to glucose) or cut out the cereal.

This! Protein in the morning keep the hunger at bay all morning. Scrambled eggs with some hot sauce, black beans and a some shredded cheese could replace the burrito. Maybe add a couple of veggies. If you get the ingredients together once a week, it will take you 15 minutes max and you will feel soooo much better!
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with either oatmeal or an omelette for breakfast, along with fruit. For oatmeal, I buy either Rachael Ray's cranberry apple or Oat Revolution with Flax (I really like the strawberries and cream one), with nothing added. For my omelette, I prefer to use Pam butter-flavor cooking spray (when I have it), but sometimes I end up having to use margarine. The filling is normally either just american cheese and a little garlic and pepper sprinkled in the egg or feta cheese with some baby spinach (same with the seasoning...just garlic and pepper). If I have all-natural guacamole on hand, I will also put some either on top of my omelette or inside of it. The warm guac has the right amount of onion, avacado, and extra spices to really make the omelette "pop" and tastes delicious!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not all cereals are created equal: high protein cereal does exist but you have to look for it. high fiber cereal helps, low sugar cereal helps. Milk with added fat (not SKIM milk) helps. A sprinkle of nuts or seeds adds fat ... this helps too.

Cereal ideas: Oatmeal with added nuts or nut butter (good fat) .... or added fiber (Chia seeds) or MADE with milk (for added protein) instead of water.

Grapenuts added to greek yogurt
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing happens when I eat Cheerios for breakfast. Sometimes I eat a whole wheat English muffin with a bit of almond butter--tasty and keeps me full til lunch.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Eat protein in the morning. some boiled eggs or something with your cereal will help.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes for breakfast with a piece of fruit for workdays. Keeps me going for about 3-4 hours and that's when I have my morning snack. I can't do just cereal - I'd be starving too! And I rarely eat cold cereal anyway. I'd rather have hot rice cereal with some chopped apple, walnuts, and maple syrup. yuummmmm.
  • CeceliaGetsFit
    Options
    whey protein smoothies! They keep me full for 3-4 hours.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used to eat just a single serving of oatmeal for breakfast. Two hours later, I would be starving. My doctor recommended adding a small amount of protein to my breakfast. By adding a small amount of protein, I was able to go another two hours before I was starving. I would recommend experimenting with some different breakfasts to find one that works for you.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I usually try to get some kind of protein for breakfast, like eggs. Carbs tend, for me, to burn off pretty quick, leaving me crazy hungry!

I don't have time for eggs unless I boil them and keep in refrigerator.

Without reading the whole thread but looking at Fiber One Original's nutritional information I suspect that you are not getting enough protein with cereal alone. I have one serving of Kashi Go Lean Original with skim milk and it holds me for about 2-3 hours. When I bike commute then I add a banana but still two hours later I eat a Whole Wheat Bagel with a stick of light mozzarella cheese as a recovery food (21 mile bike commute to work and home so I need the protein and carbs).

I also suspect that you are in the process of learning that you may one of us that has to eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. I function much better and I am not nearly so apt to get ravenous when I eat a small amount at least 150 calories but no more than 500 (and 500 would be lunch) every couple of hours.

Hope some of this helps you.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have a hard boiled egg and one multi grain english muffin with fruit
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I notice I get ravage hungry when I eat cereal. Oatmeal is actually very good for you! Try steel cut oats or the old fashion type oats, and you'll be just fine. Add in some honey for sweetness and berries or nuts for added treats. Apples are also very good cut up in oatmeal. I usually add at least a Tablespoon of flaxseed as well, as it gives you additional protein and omega3s! Apples and honey are one of my favourite mixtures. Blackberries are also very good. Blueberries are also a good idea! I usually like brown sugar in mine with the apples as well but Doctor recommended I use more natural sugars, like honey instead of processed sugars. So oatmeal is very good for you and should help you not be so ravenous!

My typical breakfast is eggs, sometimes with spinach or ham/bacon and a piece of fruit. That seems to keep me somewhat sane in the mornings. Keep a snack of a veggie and protein, like carrots and hummus! Or apples and peanut butter. Those are great filling balanced choices that will help you feel better and maintain your sanity! :happy:
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    mostly sugar/carbs. add milk, more sugars.