can u lose weight eating cheese?

Options
I really love cheese, especially the rich texture of brie/camembert its an easy snack w some whole grain crackers, fills me up for hours and is very satisfying. As long as I keep it within my calorie limit and portion it out, can I still lose weight if I eat it everyday?

The kind I eat per oz is
95 calories
7g of fat
6g protein
0 carb
120mg sodium (8%)

I usually eat 2 oz for breakfast.

I hear so much buzz about cheese and dairy being "bad" an anti weight loss. There are just so many gimmicks sometimes its difficult for me to know what to listen to and not.

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    As long as I keep it within my calorie limit and portion it out, can I still lose weight if I eat it everyday?
    yes
    dont believe peoples bull****.. your logic is perfect
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese for breakfast every day. I'm losing an average of a pound a week. As long as you meet your calorie goal, go for it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    k-bigpic.jpg
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You can eat cheese, burgers, pizza, ice cream...whatever, as long as it fits in your goals. I eat a piece of cheese literally every single day.
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cheese and other dairy products can help kick-start your metabolism, so some cheese or dairy each day is not bad. It's just overdoing it is bad... then again, overdoing anything is bad too. So have your cheese and enjoy it!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your macros, yes.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key - if it fits in your day nutritionally then go for it :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not velveeta or other processed to crap cheese, then it's fine. Cheese can be a source of fats, and a calorie boost when you need it. I love cheese (I have a Cheesus Christ grater, no lies), and I've just learned to have it in moderation, and this also lets me enjoy it more.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I have not, and no one can ever make me, give up cheese! I've lost 48 lbs. `Nuff said!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's one of my sources of protein. I tend to go easy on the crackers unless I need the fuel.

After lifting, I'll eat a whole 150g block of Danish blue. With a spoon. Yummy.

Mind you, I'm the sort of sick freak who eats chicken for breakfast so perhaps I'm not the best person to give advice.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Just the other night, I cut a couple of cubes off a block of sharp Cheddar cheese and ate them as a snack. You can see how much weight I've lost on my ticker. Moderation is key--don't eat 1,000 calories a day of just cheese!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want to lose as long as you enjoy it, it keeps you satiated, it meets your calorie and macro goals, and it's sustainable for you long term.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If eating cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese everyday (almost) in moderation (usually no more than 2 oz a day,) and I'm losing weight.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of cheese, not every day, but most days, and I've lost almost 80 lbs. So my semi-professional opinion is yes, you can lose weight and still eat cheese.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese and I'm losing weight. (My lifestyle could be called keto primal.) However, for some people cheese is problematic. I am able to limit it to reasonable amounts, but if I "craved" it or tended to binge on it, I would avoid it. I definitely ate too much cheese when I ate a grain-based diet because I put cheese on everything, and binged on processed food in general.

I don't particularly think processed dairy is at all healthy, but I still choose to consume cheese (unpasteurized in Canada) and full fat cream. For some people, avoiding dairy is beneficial for certain health issues, and I don't understand why other MFP members are so threatened by those of us who have improved our health by avoiding certain foods. Whatever.

The macro ratio of cheese makes it an excellent food for those of us who tolerate it well, but of course quality matters too.
  • mcparlin
    mcparlin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything, with reason....and if you're staying within the calorie goal, you shoule be fine....food is not inherently evil....besides, if you give up what you love, you'll binge or break....enjoy it, keep it moderate
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Literally eat it daily and sometimes twice a day, down 17 pounds.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm well on my way to 50 gone. I eat it regularly.
    Life is no bueno with no cheese :-)