can u lose weight eating cheese?

Options

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't get too caught up in all the nonsense the paleo types spew.

Cheese is fine. Its relatively high protein to calorie ratio (plus its micros) makes it a relatively good food choice. Certainly not something to avoid if you like it.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I do it all the time. Just the other night, I cut a couple of cubes off a block of sharp Cheddar cheese and ate them as a snack. You can see how much weight I've lost on my ticker. Moderation is key--don't eat 1,000 calories a day of just cheese!

Down 40 lbs. Cheese is a regular on my eaing plan. M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N. Except for Bacon, everything in moderation. :smile:
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to have a 21 gram piece of marble cheese (Armstrong cheese sticks for portion control) or some shredded cheddar cheese every day! (if I have the extra money for a treat, it's Swiss Knight Gruyere cheese om nom). It keeps me full, I can use the calcium and it tastes so good. And I've had little trouble losing weight thus far, lol!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If eating cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right!

This. Exactly:)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was eating cheese five times a day and losing weight.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Life is no bueno with no cheese :-)

agreed!
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost everyday and I weigh less than 8stone. Aslong as you can fit it in, why not?
  • bertabird
    bertabird Posts: 52
    Options
    A reduced fat cheese is great. If it fits in your diet and it works for you, then let the naysayers be just that, naysayers. I put cheese on my salads and at times I eat some string cheese (low fat) for an energy boost. Moderation is the key. ;o)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I :love: cheese, and as you can see I've failed miserably at losing weight. I might just have some creamy blue brie this evening with a glass of red wine to prove my point. *pokes out tongue at non-cheesers*

ETA Just because I'm sad I've gone back and checked my diary, from 1st May I've only had one cheese free day. :drinker:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Cheese is one of my go-to snacks, and I can't say that it has harmed my weight loss efforts. 2 of the Sargento brand cheese stick snacks every night - variety varies depending on what is in the house. And, I tend to demolish the shredded cheddar when ever I have cauliflower, salads, or fresh steamed broccoli (1/4 cup at a time, no less!)

And, the blood panel has good numbers, so I'm with the other semi-professional - cheese is good for you. So long as it fits your macros.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You definitely can!
    Here is a BBC show/documentary called "How to be slim" it discusses a Danish study on low fat dairy and how it can actually aid in weight loss (because of the calcium).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3D5YM84FM the part about the Danish study is about 2:45 in.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat brie on apple slices. It's one of my favorite things. There is no reason cheese will stop you from losing weight if you're still eating at deficit.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My life would be sad without cheese.
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    Options

After lifting, I'll eat a whole 150g block of Danish blue. With a spoon. Yummy.

do u like roquefort? its my fave
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I :love: cheese, and as you can see I've failed miserably at losing weight. I might just have some creamy blue brie this evening with a glass of red wine to prove my point. *pokes out tongue at non-cheesers*
    Ooh, me too!

Seriously, barely a day goes by when I don't eat cheese. It pops up at the top of my most-used MFP food list for every meal (except breakfast, where it's still in the top five!)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I love Brie too -- it's perfect on pears. I have some sort of cheese almost every day. Certainly hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    yes :happy:

/thread
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    Options
    Eat what you want to lose as long as you enjoy it, it keeps you satiated, it meets your calorie and macro goals, and it's sustainable for you long term.

this has been key for me. I like a good sized breakfast 500-600 calories, another good sized lunch 600-700 calories, and then a very small dinner maybe 300calories.

Before, when I ate 500/600 calories for breakfast in a different form ie eggs, oatmeal, protein shakes or some combination of the three, I was NEVER satiated. But for some reason, cheese keeps me full
  • GlittergirlTrudi
    Options
    I have taken the approach that if I love something I will keep it in my diet, otherwise I suspect I will crave it until i'm so desperate I will end up binging on it.

For this reason I am eating cheese happily but at the 30 gramme recommended portion and it seems to be working for me so far.

I'm thinking moderation in everything and portion control will allow me to sustain my weight loss so it doesn't all go back on again.

I think u are absolutely doing the right thing here hun and I don't wanna live in a world without cheese.....even if it does have to be the lactofree version for me :)
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Huh? There's people out there that are alive and not have cheese?? Can't live without my Gouda, Roquefort, Feta, Gambozola and Old Amsterdam! Have eaten it all my life and was never overweight (I am here to get myself fit, not slimmer)...