Good beginner fish for a non-fish eater

Options

Replies

• wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cod, Halibut or Tilapia - these are generally what is used if you think of Fish and Chips. These are good when pan-fried or done in the foil packet method with a bit of garlic, salt, pepper and lemon.

My dad generally hates fish, but will do okay with these and also seemed to like blackened salmon. I guess it covered up the fishy flavor. Blackened catfish is amazing, too but not sure if its a beginner level fish.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Tilapia would be my start commercially. Small black bass, crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, or walleye/sauger if you catch your own.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    tilapia is pretty simple. just bake with some italian salad dressing as a maranade.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Tuna..mix it with cilantro (to flush out the mercury)

or I love eating Swai Its a type of catfish that is sooooo delicious!
  • Hatchling84
    Hatchling84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tilapia
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Same here I have never eaten fish before....What do you put on it?
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    White, firm fleshed fish tend to have milder flavors. I tried Dover Sole last night and I think it has an even milder flavor than Tilapia.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    whitefish tends to be less 'fishy' in taste. -- so flounder, tilapia etc.

The easiest receipe for fish is to put it in a baking dish, smear 1 tsp of light mayo across the top, sprinkle with breadcrumbs to coat top and then bake.

Fish tacos are yummy - and you can change them up by switching out your salsa (mango salsa fish tacos, extra yummy)
  • jbirdjr70
    jbirdjr70 Posts: 19
    Options
    definately cold water cod....but my favorite right now is grilled salmon.....because of flavor and price. If I didn't have a budget it would be mahi mahi and sea bass!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tilapia. It's tasteless when cooked. I mean mild in flavor. You can get it to take on the flavor of almost any sauce or veg cooked with it.

My biggest recommendation - learn to cook fish properly - it will taste soooooo much better if it isn't overcooked. You want it to be just slightly translucent - not dry and flakey.

I'm particularly fond of trout, if we're talking cooked fish. If it's raw, it's all fair game.
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm surprised noone has said monkfish. It's a very meaty fish, not fishy at all. Great in curries or wrapped in bacon.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is inexpensive, doesn't smell when you cook it, and has a mild flavor.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is SUPER mild and easily seasoned.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Something for the fridge, how about trying some smoked mackerel? It's a strong taste but my non-fish eating bf was instantly converted because it's so sweet, smokey and morish!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Swordfish is the least "fishy" of all the fish, but it's not healthy to eat more than 2x a month due to mercury levels.

After that probably John Dory (St. Peter's Fish) but that's near impossible to find.

Next would probably be salmon, then tuna.

If you don't have a problem with flaky texture, Tilapia is a good choice.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i like the frozen tilapia or swai. line baking sheet w/ foil, put down lemon slices & bell pepper strips, whatever else you like, sprinkle w/ rice wine vingar, a little oil, and seasoning, close up foil "pouch" and bake at 400 for about ~20 min. it's a fastish, "one-pot" dinner and a super easy clean-up!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Halibut
    Seabass
    Tilapia
    Cod
    Mani mahi
  • michele2377
    michele2377 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tilapia would be my start commercially. Small black bass, crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, or walleye/sauger if you catch your own.

Hubby goes perch fishing in the summer and I love it fried! (although prob not the most healthy way to eat it)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Your apartment won't smell like fish for days if you cook fish right. If it reeks like fish, you've overcooked it. Fresh fish should definitely not smell fishy either. it should have very little smell at all.

Here's something very mild, and a good way to ease into fish without going the fish and chips route:

Take 1-2 lbs Whitefish (Cod, Haddock), place on large tinfoil. Dot each piece with a little butter and seasoning (I use parsley, garlic powder and black pepper), add a slice of lemon to each piece. Juice a lemon over the whole mess. Seal up the foil, and into a 425 oven for 12 mins .. 15 mins max.

eta: Avoid pollock. It's fishy in the best of conditions. Tastes like low tide.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I dislike salmon.

I love Amberjack (hard to get in the midwest, where i live now), grouper (also hard to get), flounder (easy to get) and tilapia.

I'll get flounder when it's on sale, put it in a wrap of foil with mayo (or low fat if you prefer), and a little vinegar. Cook for abouth 7 - 10 minutes at 350 and that's it.