Good beginner fish for a non-fish eater

Options

Replies

• RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sole is really good when cooked in a pan with garlic and salt, or when breaded. You can tell fish is cooked when it starts to fall apart.
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hated fish until I worked at a fine dining restaurant, and now I love it!! It's all about finding the right fish. People on here are saying tilapia is mild. I disagree. Way too "fishy" for me. I have sampled thousands of fish and here are my favorite mild fish: Swordfish is the BEST- it's like a fish steak, then Chilean Sea Bass, and Mahi Mahi. You can't go wrong with those!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    IMO if you want a fish that will fill you up Salmon is really good for that. If you just want some good ole high protein low cal / carb fish Talapia FTW!!! Very neutral taste and can be prepared a million different ways.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    tuna- I prefer all white not as fishy
    tilipa is very mild -I just put olive oil and lemon pepper/or cajun seasoning cook in oven or on grill wrapped in foil cook till flake w/ a fork
    I love love salmon grilled but It is very fishy but lots of good fats
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep, tilapia is mild..i recommend fresh atlantic salmon (not a fan of the super dark pink salmon). there's tons of recipes online
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Since you are a non-fish eater, I would definitely recommend trying an already seasoned fish, which they sell at Costco's, Sam's Club, maybe Walmart, all you have to do is throw it in the oven for 22-28 minutes. Examples of these are Lemon Roasted Pepper Cod, Tortilla Lime Crusted Tilapia, already in a package and frozen. Maybe try this method first, since you would not have to really be hands-on with the fish. You would just throw the filets in a glass baking dish with the oven already preheated and cook until ready. Then add the rest of your meal. Then after doing this a few times, you may want to buy the fish fresh or plain frozen and deal with it, like the others do.

What is a good brand of frozen fish? Is Gorton's ok?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for people who have mental blocks when it comes to fish? I want to like seafood so bad because I know how healthy it is but every time I have tried it, I have to gag it down and try really hard not to throw up. I have tried Tuna, Swai, Tilapia, Marlin, Mahi Mahi, crab legs, lobster tail, scallops and with all of them it has been the same. I thought the lobster tail and scallops tasted really good but it didn't seem to matter and I almost threw up several times during the process of eating it. Any tips for this would be greatly welcome! I am so sick of eating chicken every day.

I grew up in a house always being told that seafood was gross so I am pretty sure it is a mental hangup...just not sure how to get over it.

You know this goes against the health thing, but you might be able to break into the world of seafood and fish if you get them deep fat fried and breaded. Put tons of tartar sauce on them or cocktail sauce with lots of lemon. Yes, its covering the taste but if you can get it to the point it doesn't look like seafood and it tastes like a yummy breaded thing I bet you could get over the gag reflex. You might also enjoy canned tuna in a casserole, fried calamari or fish sticks. I was the same way for a long time, but the more you eat it the more of a taste you get for fish and seafood. Eventually, you will enjoy a nice broiled fish with some lemon.
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I'm not a big fish eater, either, so take this as a grain of salt, haha.

I've HEARD that farm-raised catfish are pretty mild. But wild caught are gamey.

The biggest thing to avoid the fishy smell, though, is to make sure you're getting fresh fish! It makes a huge difference. :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fish eater but I would like to expand past chicken and beef. What is a good "beginner" fish for someone that's never been a fish eater before. I'm looking for something versatile and easy to prepare, and if possible, doesn't leave my apartment smelling like fish for days. I have access to several major chain grocery stores, a Wal-Mart, a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you want to start with a fish that does not taste fishy at all but rather sweet and it's flaky...I recommend Swai. That's really just a fancy name for catfish but it's actually really good and bakes at 425 in 12 minutes. Calorie wise it's only 100 calories per 4 oz.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Be careful of fish that tends to be high mercury such as swordfish, shark, king mackerel, and tilefish.

I think Tilapia has the mildest flavor. Salmon is probably next. I love both of those. They are my fish staples and they are delicious and mostly cheap (which is important to me).

Tuna steaks are freaking delicious!! I have had them twice and both times they didn't even taste like fish to me! A very meaty and yummy fish. We don't have it that often though since it tends to be more expensive.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Halibut is wonderful, super light and flaky - my fave by far. Also LOVE Amberjack but unless you live near the coast, it will be hard to find. Tilapia is ok, a lot of people like it. I do not. Salmon is excellent when cooked properly. Cod is mild also. Shark is good if you get the whiter meat and is great on the grill. I think the darker meat has a funny flavor. I only like light/mild fish. If you aren't a fish eater, dont eat a fish stick. They are so gross. Mahi Mahi is good too.

There is a recipe out there for Blackened Amberjack Vera Cruz... oh my goodness, I think I could eat this every day. It's pan seared and crusted with herbs and topped with purple onion, banana peppers, and tomatoes in this wonderful light sauce. So freaking good! Here ya go.....

4 8 oz Amberjack fillets (or other white/light fish, even Tilapia)
    2 limes
    approx 1 tbl salt
    4 ripe large tomatoes
    1 large onion sliced thin (3cups)
    6 bay leaves
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    4 TBS chopped or sliced banana peppers
    12 garlic cloves (yeah!)
    1/2 cup small Manzaniila olives (any olives will do, just not the tasteless black ones)
    2 tbl capers
    3 tbl extra virgin olive oil

Place fillets in baking dish. Squeeze one lime over them, salt generously, turn over a few times to coat and let sit for 30 mins at room temp. Peel the tomatoes with the boiling water/ice bath method. Slice them 1/2 to 3/4 in thick.
    Preheat oven to 425.
    Scatter 1/2 the onions in the bottom of a baking dish that will hold the fillets with little or no overlap. Arrange a little less than 1/2 the tomatoes over the onions. Top with the bay leaves, 1/2 the cilantro, 1/2 the thyme sprigs, 1/2 the cpeppersSeason with 1 tsp salt. Tuck the garlic cloves into the veggies around the edge of the dish. Squeeze the other lime over and put the fillets on top, spacing evenly. Scatter olives, capers over top. Layer the rest of the onions and then the tomatoes on top of the fish. Scatter remaining cilantro, thyme and peppers on top. Salt again and drizzle olive oil and jalapeno juice all over. Cover with foil. Bake 20 mins, then uncover and continue to bake until it's bubbling and the fillets are cooked through.
    To serve push top veggie layer to sides. Discard garlic cloves (I eat a few!), bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Remove fish, fork chop veggies into chunky sauce. Serve fillets topped with veggie sauce. We prefer it all on a bed of seasoned rice.
    I've made this many times and served it to company as well. It's a winner in our house!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    For a newbie, cod or tilipa.

I grew up on catfish and other river fish. Ocean fish tend to not be as "fishy" tasting. At least in my opinion.
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fish eater but I would like to expand past chicken and beef. What is a good "beginner" fish for someone that's never been a fish eater before. I'm looking for something versatile and easy to prepare, and if possible, doesn't leave my apartment smelling like fish for days. I have access to several major chain grocery stores, a Wal-Mart, a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was just like you, couldn't stand any fish or even sea food but once started my diet decided to give it a try due to benefits fish and sea food have and went for grilled salmon sprinkled with herbs - absolutely delicious - if you don't like fishy taste you can always add some cream on top e.g. aoili etc. Also motivation was a big factor for me, I even started eating sea food and you know what - I like it :) Salmon is a good bet as it's not very slimy like some fish can be.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Tilapia!!! My boyfriend and I like to bread ours and cook in a skillet. Not a strong fish taste or smell :-)
  • lcrosby31
    lcrosby31 Posts: 4
    Options
    My favorites are haddock and salmon.. I do think you would be better off trying haddock first. I love just putting it in a baking dish, and putting some panko on top and let it bake for about a half hour.. Usually I saute some spinach up with it as a side dish
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Goldfish. Cheap, plentiful, and easy to swallow whole.

the snack that smiles back.. the best ever
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For a newbie, cod or tilipa.

I grew up on catfish and other river fish. Ocean fish tend to not be as "fishy" tasting. At least in my opinion.

My college roommate fried catfish once....our house smelled for DAYS!!! Nope, never allowing that in my kitchen again.
  • ChefTJP
    ChefTJP Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tilapia and flounder
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with tilapia. I drizzle it with lemon juice, sprinkle with a little seasoned salt then add Mrs Dash. Sometimes I use lemon pepper Mrs Dash and sometimes the southwest chipotle.

While we're on the subject, I just bought some tuna steaks but don't really know how to season it. What do you recommend?
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    You know this goes against the health thing, but you might be able to break into the world of seafood and fish if you get them deep fat fried and breaded. Put tons of tartar sauce on them or cocktail sauce with lots of lemon. Yes, its covering the taste but if you can get it to the point it doesn't look like seafood and it tastes like a yummy breaded thing I bet you could get over the gag reflex. You might also enjoy canned tuna in a casserole, fried calamari or fish sticks. I was the same way for a long time, but the more you eat it the more of a taste you get for fish and seafood. Eventually, you will enjoy a nice broiled fish with some lemon.

Unfortunately I can no longer do fried/breaded foods (gluten intolerant). I have tried making my own gluten free versions of fried chicken but they have all been complete failures.