Good beginner fish for a non-fish eater

Options

Replies

• boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Catfish is yummy. I love it fried, but of course, it's better for you grilled....and it's easy to prepare.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Any white mild fish. I cant stomach a lot of fishy fish like salmon sadly, but I really enjoy tuna, tilapia, mahi mahi, and cod. I would go light and sweet if you arent one to begin with I think mahi mahi is just a beautiful sweet fish.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Take 1-2 lbs Whitefish (Cod, Haddock), place on large tinfoil. Dot each piece with a little butter and seasoning (I use parsley, garlic powder and black pepper), add a slice of lemon to each piece. Juice a lemon over the whole mess. Seal up the foil, and into a 425 oven for 12 mins .. 15 mins max.

Oooh I'll have to try this - that sounds amazing!
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for people who have mental blocks when it comes to fish? I want to like seafood so bad because I know how healthy it is but every time I have tried it, I have to gag it down and try really hard not to throw up. I have tried Tuna, Swai, Tilapia, Marlin, Mahi Mahi, crab legs, lobster tail, scallops and with all of them it has been the same. I thought the lobster tail and scallops tasted really good but it didn't seem to matter and I almost threw up several times during the process of eating it. Any tips for this would be greatly welcome! I am so sick of eating chicken every day.

I grew up in a house always being told that seafood was gross so I am pretty sure it is a mental hangup...just not sure how to get over it.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like Tilapia with coconut: ran the filet through some beaten egg, used a little bit of masa (corn flour), coconut and a bit of paprika, baked at 400F for about 12-15min (don't remember exactly). Turned out great. I also liked that I could get a bag with individual packaged filets since I cook for 1. Good luck!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    A beginner is not likely to start with Salmon or Tuna.....like you, i don't really enjoy eating fish. My suggestion is to try one of the light, white fish mentioned here but cook it well done. If my fish is well done and cooked with enough lime, lemon, cilantro and pepper, sometimes i can eat it.

Please let me know what works for you OP , i am willing to try something new because gish is low calorie/high protein. Oh, one other thing, it never works for me in any kind of sauce.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, I get my fish from the wholesale club, Costco's. I usually buy tilapia, cod, and salmon. The tilapia is the least fishiest and pretty versatile, as you can put them in tacos and stuff.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I've never been a fish eater but I would like to expand past chicken and beef. What is a good "beginner" fish for someone that's never been a fish eater before. I'm looking for something versatile and easy to prepare, and if possible, doesn't leave my apartment smelling like fish for days. I have access to several major chain grocery stores, a Wal-Mart, a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Salmon, Tuna, Tilapia, and Flounder are all verastile.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Haddock!!
    I soak it in milk before preparing to remove any fishy taste/smell
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I recommend salmon also... as well as tilapia and whitefish.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    halibut, cod, and tilapia are all great starter fish. I have a fish tutorial on my blog for anyone interested
    http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/10/fast-n-furious-fish.html
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Take 1-2 lbs Whitefish (Cod, Haddock), place on large tinfoil. Dot each piece with a little butter and seasoning (I use parsley, garlic powder and black pepper), add a slice of lemon to each piece. Juice a lemon over the whole mess. Seal up the foil, and into a 425 oven for 12 mins .. 15 mins max.

Oooh I'll have to try this - that sounds amazing!

My 2 kids (14 and 17) prefer this over any other form of fish. I'm still a sucker for Swordfish, Tuna and Salmon, but .. you have to really like fish to be into those.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    mahi mahi, the flavor is very light. the best thing i can tell you is make sure its really fresh. If it really does smell fishy, its been sitting around too long.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fish eater either, but I eat talapia. Not b/c I love it but b/c the taste is mild enough and the health benefits are super!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for people who have mental blocks when it comes to fish? I want to like seafood so bad because I know how healthy it is but every time I have tried it, I have to gag it down and try really hard not to throw up. I have tried Tuna, Swai, Tilapia, Marlin, Mahi Mahi, crab legs, lobster tail, scallops and with all of them it has been the same. I thought the lobster tail and scallops tasted really good but it didn't seem to matter and I almost threw up several times during the process of eating it. Any tips for this would be greatly welcome! I am so sick of eating chicken every day.

I grew up in a house always being told that seafood was gross so I am pretty sure it is a mental hangup...just not sure how to get over it.

Since you are a non-fish eater, I would definitely recommend trying an already seasoned fish, which they sell at Costco's, Sam's Club, maybe Walmart, all you have to do is throw it in the oven for 22-28 minutes. Examples of these are Lemon Roasted Pepper Cod, Tortilla Lime Crusted Tilapia, already in a package and frozen. Maybe try this method first, since you would not have to really be hands-on with the fish. You would just throw the filets in a glass baking dish with the oven already preheated and cook until ready. Then add the rest of your meal. Then after doing this a few times, you may want to buy the fish fresh or plain frozen and deal with it, like the others do.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Goldfish. Cheap, plentiful, and easy to swallow whole.

Buhahahaaaa
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Salmon. Grilled or broiled.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fish eater but I would like to expand past chicken and beef. What is a good "beginner" fish for someone that's never been a fish eater before. I'm looking for something versatile and easy to prepare, and if possible, doesn't leave my apartment smelling like fish for days. I have access to several major chain grocery stores, a Wal-Mart, a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matter of factly shared your description above with my sister and she'd reactively said, "It depends on your flavour profile."

*If you like sweet - then start with a sweet fish and keep your preparations simple. Think hors d'oeuvres.
    *If you don't like salty ~ then opt for freshwater fish.
    *If you are against fat ~ avoid the fatty fish variety like Butterfish.

Having said that, we both believe that a good ole fry-up, like a battered fish or a panko-crumbed ovenbaked fish is the easy way in towards developing your palate (which is possibly why they do fish fingers for children).
  • thenfacetoface
    thenfacetoface Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mahi mahi - light fish, easy to cook, and makes for delicious fish tacos. Costco sells frozen mahi mahi portions so you can control for calories too.