why eat back calories???

Options

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calorie deficit and your hunger level.

MFP is a diet based program. If you want to lose a pound a week, MFP builds in a 500 calorie deficit (7x500=3500 calories= 1lb) into your calorie goal . That number represents the amount of calories you burn just living - 500 calories. It does not factor in the exercise that you do. Exercising will increase the deficit which will cause you to lose weight quicker. Some theorize that being at a high deficit can make your body go into "starvation" mode. Others say the bigger the deficit, the better. It all depends on you and how you feel.

Understand that your personal trainer does have a vested interest encouraging you to achieve the biggest deficit that you can handle. Bigger deficit means bigger weight loss. However, some have experienced bad side effects like lack of energy and binge eating.

The biggest thing is to understand your body and how you respond to the lack of food. I say if you have a good amount of fat, eat at the biggest deficit that you can. Your body will fuel your activities with your fat stores. If you only have 10 lbs that you want to lose, it might be better to set a less aggressive and more sustainable goal.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Why eat back the calories you've worked to burn? I would only eat back a few if you were feeling really hungry. (You may want to try drinking water before that.) To me eating back calories is like saying "I'm going to eat more because I can, not because I'm hungry". That is how people become overweight in the first place.

42792488.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

this is exactly my thought!!!
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options

MFP is a diet based program. If you want to lose a pound a week, MFP builds in a 500 calorie deficit (7x500=3500 calories= 1lb) into your calorie goal . That number represents the amount of calories you burn just living - 500 calories. It does not factor in the exercise that you do. Exercising will increase the deficit which will cause you to lose weight quicker. Some theorize that being at a high deficit can make your body go into "starvation" mode. Others say the bigger the deficit, the better. It all depends on you and how you feel.

Understand that your personal trainer does have a vested interest encouraging you to achieve the biggest deficit that you can handle. Bigger deficit means bigger weight loss. However, some have experienced bad side effects like lack of energy and binge eating.

The biggest thing is to understand your body and how you respond to the lack of food. I say if you have a good amount of fat, eat at the biggest deficit that you can. Your body will fuel your activities with your fat stores. If you only have 10 lbs that you want to lose, it might be better to set a less aggressive and more sustainable goal.

thankyou and yes i have alot of fat to lose im 5 foot 3 and i finally am just below 200:flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    so then if i eat the same as i am now for the rest of my life i will start gainging weight or i will stop losing?im not sure what the consequences are...

Really this is not complicated, it is simple math.
  • scferreri
    scferreri Posts: 2
    Options
    For what it is worth here is my two cents.

First- If you are paying for a wellness person in theory she or he has a degree saying they know what they speak of.

Second- Personally I want to lose my weight SLOW. I am ok with half a pound or 1 pound a week. It took time to put on my weight taking it off slow and making changes I can keep so when I reach that point and KEEP it off is my goal. I realize I am not in the norm on this thought, but those family members that have lost over 80 pounds did it this way.

I personally eat some of my calories back, not all of them. Ideally I try to eat close to what I am suppose to each each day, but if I want XYZ then I try to exercise first and then eat it. For me it is my soda at night. I have come to think of calories as currency and there is no charging and paying off the calorie bill tomorrow. THAT is how I got to my size.

Best of luck.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

thankyou and yes i have alot of fat to lose im 5 foot 3 and i finally am just below 200:flowerforyou:

I also want to point out that MFP isn't necessarily saying you SHOULD eat back your exercise calories, but that you CAN do so and still attain your weekly goal.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    she knows what mfp is and she is going to advise others to not eat them back as well i dont feel that i am starving myself and i lose weight consistentlyi just think its silly to eat back so many calories whats the point of even burning them if your just going to eat them again ...

The point is that you're creating a relative steady, moderate deficit. That's the point. With MFP's math, they say "here's what you need for normal daily activities, now lets create a daily deficit of about the same amount (depending on your goal). Eat that. Oops, some days you need more? Well, that creates a larger deficit, so you can eat more and still maintain your goal deficit."

Well, you might say -- why wouldn't you just want to create the largest deficit possible?

Because many people's bodies freak the freak out about large deficits! Yes, not everyone's does. Yes, everyone knows stories about someone who ate 400 calories for months on end and lost 3 pounds a week every week. But for all those stories, there are the other ones - the people whose metabolisms slow to a crawl, the people who find themselves binging uncontrollably.

Maybe a huge deficit will work for you. Maybe you'll be one of the very few people who can come off a huge deficit and begin to eat normally and not regain rapidly. But the odds aren't good. Meanwhile, if you create a moderate deficit - you'll lose more slowly - but going to maintenance will probably be easier, you'll wind up being able to eat more in maintenance than someone who starved... and you've got a better chance of avoiding rapid weight cycling and keeping your health markers at good levels.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    so then if i eat the same as i am now for the rest of my life i will start gainging weight or i will stop losing?im not sure what the consequences are...

no need to be rude and insult my intelligence
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That is how people become overweight in the first place.
    No.

Even though this is your first post, and I commend you for it, you're wrong.

People become overweight by eating at a caloric surplus for long enough that they get fat. Eating enough to fuel your body to work properly and burn the fat that you've stored (based on MFP settings, eating back the calories you burn by exercising, etc) is not overeating.. or even existing in a surplus.

So, before you post again, please understand what's going on here.

but then again, what could I possibly know about losing weight.

You think you know anything about weight loss?!?!?! NAH unless your Jillian Michaels or one of the biggest losers you ain't sh** on here brah!

On a SERIOUS note, I think people here just stuck in their ways and afraid to budge.

Go ahead and net your 600 cals a day, let your body eat what muscle you do have, and eventually though the scale may not be going up your clothes are going to start feeling tighter again, because the fat you have, taking the place of the muscle you ONCE had is taking up twice the space it was. Slip up for 2 weeks (or eat at a sustainable amount rather) and your body is going to hold on to every da** spare calorie you give it because it's afraid it's going to have to function on less than ideal nutrients that it needs. It'll work for a while, then not so much..Been there, done that, now that I'm netting close to 1700 a day I've lost 5 lbs more after a 4 month stand-still on 1200. Won't see me going back to that magic 1200 again. Good luck/
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    she knows what mfp is and she is going to advise others to not eat them back as well i dont feel that i am starving myself and i lose weight consistentlyi just think its silly to eat back so many calories whats the point of even burning them if your just going to eat them again ...

The point is that you're creating a relative steady, moderate deficit. That's the point. With MFP's math, they say "here's what you need for normal daily activities, now lets create a daily deficit of about the same amount (depending on your goal). Eat that. Oops, some days you need more? Well, that creates a larger deficit, so you can eat more and still maintain your goal deficit."

Well, you might say -- why wouldn't you just want to create the largest deficit possible?

Because many people's bodies freak the freak out about large deficits! Yes, not everyone's does. Yes, everyone knows stories about someone who ate 400 calories for months on end and lost 3 pounds a week every week. But for all those stories, there are the other ones - the people whose metabolisms slow to a crawl, the people who find themselves binging uncontrollably.

Maybe a huge deficit will work for you. Maybe you'll be one of the very few people who can come off a huge deficit and begin to eat normally and not regain rapidly. But the odds aren't good. Meanwhile, if you create a moderate deficit - you'll lose more slowly - but going to maintenance will probably be easier, you'll wind up being able to eat more in maintenance than someone who starved... and you've got a better chance of avoiding rapid weight cycling and keeping your health markers at good levels.

Brilliant-Freaking Brilliant.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    For what it is worth here is my two cents.

First- If you are paying for a wellness person in theory she or he has a degree saying they know what they speak of.

Second- Personally I want to lose my weight SLOW. I am ok with half a pound or 1 pound a week. It took time to put on my weight taking it off slow and making changes I can keep so when I reach that point and KEEP it off is my goal. I realize I am not in the norm on this thought, but those family members that have lost over 80 pounds did it this way.

I personally eat some of my calories back, not all of them. Ideally I try to eat close to what I am suppose to each each day, but if I want XYZ then I try to exercise first and then eat it. For me it is my soda at night. I have come to think of calories as currency and there is no charging and paying off the calorie bill tomorrow. THAT is how I got to my size.

Best of luck.

thanks! i do eat some of my cals back just not as much as mfp wants me to:smile:
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to burn around 400-500 calories every day through exercise. I eat foods that fill my up with minimal calories, such as fruits or yogurt for breakfast, pita sandwiches for lunch, an afternoon snack under 200 calories to fuel me through my workout (shrimp, an egg, fruit), and then I enjoy my dinner. I do my best to eat a healthy dinner, but I really like to enjoy my dinner and feel like I get to reward myself for eating all day. Some days I'm grateful for my extra calorie burn because my dinner would put me over my 1400 calorie goal that MFP sets for me. More often, though, I find myself looking for an extra serving or snack I could eat that would get me up to the 1200 calories as that's the minimum MFP says I need to stay healthy. I must have gotten really effective finding "superfoods" that keep me satisfied all day, prevent me from craving things, and keep me low in calories. I'm not trying to be super restrictive in what I'm eating, but rather trying to avoid eating more than I need to feel satisfied, because that's what got me into trouble in the first place.

My TruMoo 1% chocolate milk is my hero - it is a nice dessert that puts me just over 1200 calories when I need it, like today :)

In sum, I totally agree that it seems pointless to me to put in a good workout if I'm just going to be eating the calories back (which, to my stomach, would feel like overeating and I wouldn't feel comfortable tummy-wise). It's an extra perk one way or another - most days, I burn more fat and will lose weight faster, and, occasionally (about once or twice each week), it means I get to eat what I want without feeling guilty.
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, I would stick to what your Life Coach says and then go from there. Re-evaluate the situation with them if things aren't going the way you hoped.
    For me, I ate them when I was hungry and I didn't when I wasn't :)
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

^THIS^
  • kisooni
    kisooni Posts: 4
    Options
    I never said you didn't know anything about losing weight, so why are you attacking me? I'm saying that you become overweight by eating too much. If you eat when you're not hungry just because you can you will most likely gain weight. It seems like a simple principle to me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound rude and insulting. I just don't want you to be doing yourself a disservice.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    Everyone is different, I would stick to what your Life Coach says and then go from there. Re-evaluate the situation with them if things aren't going the way you hoped.
    thats what i do i eat some back if i feel i need them but im just not always hungry like i used to bei am on a rest day today and i thinkk i netted 1240 but if i worked out i would probably eat some but not all back my wellness coach toldme this yesterday so im just tryin to see what others think :)
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound rude and insulting. I just don't want you to be doing yourself a disservice.
    thats ok i was just trying to understand everything:flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    That is how people become overweight in the first place.
    No.

Even though this is your first post, and I commend you for it, you're wrong.

People become overweight by eating at a caloric surplus for long enough that they get fat. Eating enough to fuel your body to work properly and burn the fat that you've stored (based on MFP settings, eating back the calories you burn by exercising, etc) is not overeating.. or even existing in a surplus.

So, before you post again, please understand what's going on here.

but then again, what could I possibly know about losing weight.
    On a SERIOUS note, I think people here just stuck in their ways and afraid to budge.

People pay good money to other folks like nutritionists and trainers, get bad advice, then question it on a forum.....

get GOOD advice, then turn it down. I give up.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a wellness coach? Have they been to university to study and have proper credentials?