why eat back calories???

Options

Replies

• amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Why eat back the calories you've worked to burn? I would only eat back a few if you were feeling really hungry. (You may want to try drinking water before that.) To me eating back calories is like saying "I'm going to eat more because I can, not because I'm hungry". That is how people become overweight in the first place.

Deskgrl just explained very simply why you should. Didn't you read it?
    please dont be rude
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Why eat back the calories you've worked to burn? I would only eat back a few if you were feeling really hungry. (You may want to try drinking water before that.) To me eating back calories is like saying "I'm going to eat more because I can, not because I'm hungry". That is how people become overweight in the first place.

please dont be rude

and that's the problem with the forum. Too many folks are given good advice, but look for someone that agrees with them... then when it's pointed out that they've been provided with ample information, the rest of the folks are being rude.

No.

It isn't being rude. You're new here, but not to the internet. It's okay. Take a deep breath, look back over the information provided, put on your big girl panties and deal with it.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    she knows what mfp is and she is going to advise others to not eat them back as well i dont feel that i am starving myself and i lose weight consistentlyi just think its silly to eat back so many calories whats the point of even burning them if your just going to eat them again ...

obviously she and you both no nothing of how MFP works.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Netting below BMR is not sustainable long term for most people. It's definitely not in the best interest of your health or well-being.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options

please dont be rude

and that's the problem with the forum. Too many folks are given good advice, but look for someone that agrees with them... then when it's pointed out that they've been provided with ample information, the rest of the folks are being rude.

No.

It isn't being rude. You're new here, but not to the internet. It's okay. Take a deep breath, look back over the information provided, put on your big girl panties and deal with it.
    well i wasnt saying rude to me i am looking over the info and appreciate it but when other posters post and then people say things like cant you read or didnt u read that i just thought it was kinda mean so thanks for your input but maybe it is u who should calm down
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i do it im not cheating my self- 24 pounds lost
  • kisooni
    kisooni Posts: 4
    Options

please dont be rude

No.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter. In general all I'm saying is why eat just to eat? Why not eat when you're hungry or because you need to. I believe there is no need to eat back your calories and that's my opinion and others too. Yes what was said was a little rude, but who cares? It IS the internet sure. I don't care if you think your opinion is more "educated" or whatever you think.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just eat enough back so that you get your net up to 1200.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter. In general all I'm saying is why eat just to eat? Why not eat when you're hungry or because you need to. I believe there is no need to eat back your calories and that's my opinion and others too. Yes what was said was a little rude, but who cares? It IS the internet sure. I don't care if you think your opinion is more "educated" or whatever you think.

Because "when you are hungry" is not always a good indicator. There are hormones that signal when you are hungry and when you are full. Many times these hormones are affected by not eating right and so they don't work right. A person who eats a very low calorie diet is not hungry. They can be anorexic and literally killing themselves because they are not getting enough food, but they aren't hungry. A person who eats too much can be hungry all the time because their hormones are not working right.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

please dont be rude

No.

Solid second post.

Follow up with me when you've been here almost 500 days, mkay?

You didn't even have an avatar on your first post when you hit the "post reply" button. Congrats on that. You don't have to like my advice either, but hey, this is a public forum.... soooooo you can take the advice and learn from it... since you're still wrong.. or not.

At this point, you can be wrong and learn.. or wrong and hard-headed, then just storm off and be all "I can't believe that trogalicious guy on the internet" and eat a bowl of cocoa krispies or something.. either way, I don't really care. The point is, you gave bad advice. You can deal with that, or feel free to block me on the forums.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    You will need to find what works for you.. I have tried to not eat back my cals..I'm stuck..I eat back my cals..I'm still stuck. I work out with heavy weights 4 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. I have the workout down pat..now I must work on the nutrition part. I have a very hard time eating enough during the day that doesn't put me over on carbs and sugar. Some days end with an extra 700 calories. I just ordered Metabolic effect diet. I'm hoping they can help me find what works for me. I've been doing this for 2.5 years and have lost only 34 pounds..BUT have lost 71 inches. The scale is not always what we need to follow..Take pictures and measure yourself. Good Luck!
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options

please dont be rude

No.

well i wasnt saying rude to me i am looking over the info and appreciate it but when other posters post and then people say things like cant you read or didnt u read that i just thought it was kinda mean so thanks for your input but maybe it is u who should calm down

lol. You sound hangry.

I'm fully calm.

look back over the thread where you agreed with the other person that agreed with you.

No problems here at all. Know why? I've lost a buttload of weight by eating back my cals, figured enough for a few beers tonight.. so it's smooth sailing.

Also, it's "you" and not "u"... but thanks.

You don't have to thank me for my input. If you want to do yourself a favor, read back through for all the folks that have been here for a good long while.. or that have lost plenty of weight. You know, the people that have been where you are right now and have wound up where you want to be. Then, if you want, feel free to come back and thank me in a year... after you've realized how it works.

I'm not posting this in any derogatory fashion, it just gets old when I see good advice given... then the OP latches on to another new member with a "oh, girl.. you know, I deal with that exact same thing" syndrome.

I don't care if you thank me now. I don't care if you don't. I'm giving you advice on what works. The choice is yours whether to step down off of your "I'm important" box and listen to it.
    i am not "hangry" im tired and about to sleep im not siding with anyone and i do eat back cals if you checked my diary u would know that i just wanted some more information because i heard this yesterday not sure why you are so agressive you said your piece and i got it and i dont remember asking for any grammar advice so please stop because i do take this seriously thanks
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just eat enough back so that you get your net up to 1200.

So.... My net today is 685. I'm not starving myself, but I'm eating low-calorie meals and snacking on low-calorie stuff all day. And I'm not hungry. If I ate back the 515 calories to get to a net of 1200, I'd feel sick like I'm overeating.

And I'm not anorexic nor do I have an eating disorder. I only started counting calories and working out a week ago. Not every day is this low, but my net is under 1000 calories every day. Maybe I'll start feeling effects from it and want to eat more? I don't know. But right now, I don't feel hungry so I don't want to eat.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    You will need to find what works for you.. I have tried to not eat back my cals..I'm stuck..I eat back my cals..I'm still stuck. I work out with heavy weights 4 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. I have the workout down pat..now I must work on the nutrition part. I have a very hard time eating enough during the day that doesn't put me over on carbs and sugar. Some days end with an extra 700 calories. I just ordered Metabolic effect diet. I'm hoping they can help me find what works for me. I've been doing this for 2.5 years and have lost only 34 pounds..BUT have lost 71 inches. The scale is not always what we need to follow..Take pictures and measure yourself. Good Luck!
    thanks and you too:flowerforyou:
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    i am not "hangry" im tired and about to sleep im not siding with anyone and i do eat back cals if you checked my diary u would know that i just wanted some more information because i heard this yesterday not sure why you are so agressive you said your piece and i got it and i dont remember asking for any grammar advice so please stop because i do take this seriously thanks
    You're missing a ton of apostrophes in there. Also, aggressive isn't spelled correctly. Sleep might be a good idea at this point.

Also, you're welcome.
    i never thanked you i dont think you are on here to help me! please stop your advice is not wanted from me !!!!!!!!
  • ssaraj
    ssaraj Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow! This is my first day on this site and its better than greys anatomy was tonight. I plan to eat evry calorie back and keep the weight off for good this time. Fuel your body!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would consider eating back most of your exercise calories.

The key to me staying at a low weight on 1900 calories a day is having enough energy to support doing intense exercise almost every day. By eating more my body channels some of that food to glucose stores and I can get intense runs / weight lifting without tiring out.

The second I drop to 1200 or 1400 calories I get cranky, cold intolerant, weak - and worst of all, I lose 10 - 20 % of my regular strength and hit the "wall" while jogging. I need to perform at my best so I eat more, even as I'm losing weight.
  • mazielinski78
    mazielinski78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To all the people who say they feel too full eating back their exercise calories to a healthy net amount.... if that few calories truthfully makes you feel overly full then logically you shouldn't have ever gained too much weight in the first place! Aren't you on here counting calories and trying to lose weight because you had no trouble with eating too much to begin with?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is my first day on this site and its better than greys anatomy was tonight. I plan to eat evry calorie back and keep the weight off for good this time. Fuel your body!

Thank goodness someone is listening to the good advice.