Are accents universally awesome?

Options

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Aussie, Scottish, Irish, English (most of them), NZ, South Africa

I actually cringe when I hear Bahstin and Lang Eye-Lind accents (just don't confuse all of us from New York STATE for having an accent like them! I sound more Canadian than Long Island...)
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Oh ya, South Africa accents are nice too :)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love Irish accents... and Scottish.... I'd even settle for a British accent....

Also, despite the fact that I'm from Oklahoma, a good southern accent coming from an educated person really gets me going.

I can't stand the sound of the Boston, Jersey, or New York accents though... they drive me nuts.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Being from the upper mid-west I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a Northern Wisconsin or Northern Minnesota accent are attractive or desirable. haha! I sometime cringe when I hear people from my area say certain words and phrases. I really dig southern accents...especially around Louisiana... it's just so different from what I'm used to hearing.

My BF likes to make fun of me when I say "bag". Sometimes it can be heard on about but that's pretty much it. LOL

My accent is not as heavy (never has been) as some WI/MN accents though.

Yup. That's one of the words:) And "flag". My accent is definitely not as noticable as some but that's probably because I talk with alot of people from different regions (for work) and recognize things more?

I can't help but giggle inside when I actually hear people say, "Yeah der hey! Don't cha know?"
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love lots of accents, just not the one that likes to sneak into my voice. Minn-eh-soooo-ta, dontcha' know.

I have family that live in Ireland and it's interesting to hear how the accent varies when you travel around the country. I love them all; some of them are just harder to understand!
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love accents of any kind. Being Boston born and raised though, it bothers me when actors in movies are "coached" into a fake Boston accent. Not sure how it is with other accents, but it seems that it's not something that can be coached properly. You either have it or you don't. ;)
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    British, French, Italian.

American-Southern Belle. .

yep. . me likey.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love European accents.

LOL do you mean Italian or Finnish? Not quite the same ;)
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes! Southern Twang, Irish, Danish, I could go all day.....
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    God it drives me crazy when I see people say 'British' accents haha, I can assure you that someone from Glasgow does not sound like a person from London.
    I'm from Liverpool, my accent isn't that strong but I can assure that most people who say 'I love English accents' aren't on about the scouse ;)

Accents aren't a 'thing' for me, I mean some of them sound cool and I will make people say words that sound funny but other than that!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I grew up on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. I have a reeeaaaallly strong Minnesconsin accent. I hate it, but what can you do? You can't change your accent. My friends from down south just love it and tell me it's adorable!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    accents are awesome, and I say that because I'm a midwesterner and we have no accent. We are the plain boring dialect which newscasters are taught to speak like. :ohwell:
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Seems the Scottish accent is a popular one ! .. wonder which part though we sound and speak so different :) ... im from Glasgow and i have no idea what people in Aberdeen are saying to me there

i like Irish accent
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love the Irish accent and Australian on too some accents drive me insane lol but I'm not saying those cos well you know????
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I grew up on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. I have a reeeaaaallly strong Minnesconsin accent. I hate it, but what can you do? You can't change your accent. My friends from down south just love it and tell me it's adorable!

"Minnesconsin" love it!:) Glad your friends like it!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen "New in Town" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous"... I am really not that far off...

This is me, from over a year ago. I am not dressed up or anything for it and look terrible, but you can just minimize it and listen to the sound. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6Li2vSl1Q

TERRIBLY strong accent.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Being from Georgia, I loved people in Los Angeles being fascinated by how I sounded when i visited there.

I personally love Scottish and English accents, as well as Aussie/New Zealand.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm English - I don't think I have an accent :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    accents are awesome, and I say that because I'm a midwesterner and we have no accent. We are the plain boring dialect which newscasters are taught to speak like. :ohwell:

No kidding. It sucks :-(
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Seems the Scottish accent is a popular one ! .. wonder which part though we sound and speak so different :) ... im from Glasgow and i have no idea what people in Aberdeen are saying to me there

i like Irish accent

Ya, there are so many. I prefer the Glesca and Highland accents. Aberdeen sounds harsh and well the southern accents are too mild.