Are accents universally awesome?

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    South African is where it's at for me. I think my panties spontaneously come off when I hear someone with that accent.

However, I cannot stand NY/NJ accents. Nails on a chalkboard.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I looooooove guys with Scandinavian and Germanically based language accents :D I don't like French, Spanish or Italian accents but if a guy (or gal) speaks to me in German then in German accented English I'd be weak at the knees x3

EDIT: I'm British with an English accent xD
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen "New in Town" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous"... I am really not that far off...

This is me, from over a year ago. I am not dressed up or anything for it and look terrible, but you can just minimize it and listen to the sound. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6Li2vSl1Q

TERRIBLY strong accent.
    [/quote

Thanks for sharing! Totally hear Minnesota (I went to college there) over Wisconsin (where I live now). BTW love both "New in Town" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous":)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I have met a couple of men with a South African accent that made me swoon! Also, some of the southern accents - South Carolina & Texas come to mind :) A Jamaican accent is pleasant to listen to, male or female.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    NO. Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee are mostly unintelligible to me. and i have to 'communicate' with them at work. :grumble:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    hmm I don't know.. Some of the accents from my home home state, Louisiana, are not very attractive in my opinion. I've worked very hard to NOT sound like that. Still have some work to do.
    My BIL is from new roads, la. and I can't understand a damn word he says

'The further south you go, the worse it gets. I'm originally from Houma.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen "New in Town" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous"... I am really not that far off...

This is me, from over a year ago. I am not dressed up or anything for it and look terrible, but you can just minimize it and listen to the sound. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6Li2vSl1Q

TERRIBLY strong accent.

Drop Dead Gorgeous-nice movie.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think some are more awesome than others. They are universally interesting because you know intrinsically that the person with the accent is not from where you personally hail from, but some accents make me want to punch people in the face.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My accent is... easy to understand. Doesn't that count for anything?
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was raised in an Italian speaking family, and I sorta picked up some of the accent. My friends love to tease me about it. Apparently, so I'm told anyway, it gets stronger when excited or upset.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've got the generic American accent (Seattle) and my bf's is the east Anglian English accent (Cambridgeshire) which is very BBC newscaster easy to understand English. Our favorites are each others but thats because we are bias. I like a Cockney east London accent as well, but that's where I live now. :) I also love Dutch accents, I think they sound kind of comical.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't feel my Boston accent is really pronounced but when I'm away for work people ask me to say "Wicked pissah".

I also find Australian accents are similar in that we tend to drop our r's
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Like Swedish, Latin American, Cajun/Creole, French
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't feel my Boston accent is really pronounced but when I'm away for work people ask me to say "Wicked pissah".

I dated a woman from Mass. and she would say "wicked" in every other sentence. lol
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    Yes! Love an accent! England/Scotland are my favorite, but I love Russian and Italian...well just about all. :happy:
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a slight Jersey accent, alright, maybe not so slight lol.
    My hubby has an eastern European accent.

I love British accents, southern accents, and Russian/eastern europe accents.
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    accents are awesome, and I say that because I'm a midwesterner and we have no accent. We are the plain boring dialect which newscasters are taught to speak like. :ohwell:

Not true! First, we have an accent to other people. They think they have no accent, because that's what's normal for them. And I have been told I have a little of that WI/MN accent. I love it. :smile:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I dated a woman from Mass. and she would say "wicked" in every other sentence. lol

I never say wicked or pissah but I give the people what they want to hear!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Irish
    Scottish
    English
    Australian
    Georgian

love!
  • gingameister
    gingameister Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Does everyone love an accent that is different from their own or is it just me?

Favorites

Boston
    Jersey/New York
    Southern/country
    Australian
    GBR English

Those first two...........So awesome......................so awesome

GBR English, or the British accent as I see lots of people refer to it, makes me laugh. Which British accent is that then? Thanks to Hollywood, Americans seem to think we all talk like Hugh Grant or Colin Firth. In reality, our accents are as different and varied as yours! The British accent. LOL