Dr. Oz - 75 grams of protein?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you...what I was looking for!!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Please don't listen to Dr. Oz. He's a quack.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40-30-30 on my macros so about 124g of protein is my goal. I usually manage over within 15g of that, over or under. I like protein, makes me feel full. Also i like meat; just made a ground sirloin burger, was delish.
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nothing Dr. Oz says is credible.

**bubbleburst**

YES! Sorry, but Dr. Oz is a crackpot.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Be careful with Dr Oz.... Very few medical professionals respect him. He tries to take medicine, and dumb it down to the simplist form; and make broad general statements. Hes not as bad as someone like Mary Toco.... who I believe just simply wants to hurt people, but still.

Protein is typically based off what you want to do. Are you body building? HIGH PROTEIN? More interested in marathon running? Probably want a little more carbs than protein; low fat. Really depends on what your goals are
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    First thing I was to say is Dr. Oz is a nut ball!

Now, as for protein. I eat around 100 gm per day! 40% cards, 30% fat, 30% protein. Works well for me. Now everyone's body is different so you have to find what works well for you.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Agree that some of what Dr. Oz is now recommending is starting to remind me more of an infomercial, than actual medical advice. It seems it shouldn't be a set amount of protein, but a percentage based on your calorie intake & current weight. I have mine custom set at 25%, based on the latest nutritional recommendations. If you get too much protein, although I think the opposite is more of a problem, then it can leech the calcium from your body (if you don't get enough calcium) & could cause osteoporosis, especially in women.
    That's a new one.

Pretty well established at this point. Also too much protein puts a load on the kidneys.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I find that lots of lean protein and low [about half of what MFP suggests] work best for me. Before, when I ate too many carbs I often crashed mid-day, craved sugar and had other weird stuff go on. Alos, I exercise a lot--I think that protein really helps me maintain.

I mostly eat: lean chicken, lean turkey, black beans, sometimes organic/free-range beef, almond butter, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and Greek yogurt.

Try it for a few weeks and see how your body responds, everyone is different.