Pets get in the way

Options
124»

Replies

• lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My dogs just sit and watch me. They know when I am done they get my full attention. Dogs are so smart!!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    My cats like to help me do yoga. During Downward Dog, one climbs my leg while the other fights my ponytail.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love it! I would treasure every moment of that. I'd smooch that sweet face every time I came up off the floor. A chocolate lab, right?
    My view during crunches
    089.jpg

He also tries to "help" me when doing push-ups by trying to lift me up with his head and tries to lick my sweat off. And then when he finally decided to leave me alone, he lays on my workout mat.

Planks are not easy when you are laughing.

Yes, chocate lab. And I do!

He won't come near me when I am on my bike trainer though.
  • karagreeves
    karagreeves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have 3 huskies who love to sit and howl in unison from behind the baby gate while I do my squats! It's offputting when you are trying to count! Lol. I try to walk them before I do any exercise at home so they are too knackered to bother me :) x
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    my dog does. she always wants to play. i don't have ANY advice for a cat other than to shake a can of coins towards it or spray it with water...but this will be annoying at first and take some time for it to leave you alone forever while exercising.

when my dog does it i have NO problem with locking her up in her cage. so now when she plays i always ask her, "want to go to your home" and she walks away

i trained her using questions....always "want to" and then key word "walk, home (bad! it is her cage), bath (bad, cause she hates it), treat" etc....

hate it when she jumps on my face when i am doing ab work
  • amariecarr
    amariecarr Posts: 16
    Options
    OMG! My cat and dog love to linger around my treadmill when I'm jogging (hopefully RUNNING soon). I have to keep a broom next to it. So, I can sweep them away.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My cat tries to sit on me whilst doing sit ups...not easy!

I often have an overnight work out by her as well, if I sleep on my back, she curls up on my front. I wondered for ages why my stomach felt odd in the mornings, like I had done a load of sit ups... she is a heavy beastie!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My cat comes by and bites me on the head when I'm doing exercises on the floor. It's funny to see that other people also have pet issues with exercising!
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When I used to run with my dog he would run in front of me and stop all the time! I'd always trip over him! Even if I held his lead to the side of me he would run into my legs. He just couldn't run straight!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My German Shepherd is always down in the weight room with me. Actually, he follows me everywhere I go. He's cool about staying out of the way when I'm lifting. If I'm doing something that involves possibly dropping weights, like hang cleans and deadlifts, I just tell him to move and he'll go to the other side of the room.

We had a cat (he died last fall at 19 years old) who would sometimes get underfoot, but I would put him upstairs and close the doors to keep him out.

I have a rack of dumbbells, 2 levels, with anything from 20 to 90lbs on it. The other day I put a pair of 50's on top, sitting on the other big ones, since I was going to use them again later in the workout. A couple minutes later, the entire rack crashed to the ground, all the db's fell off. Luckily, the Shepherd wasn't laying underneath! That could have been ugly.

Here's his typical position, lol

A8D824A9-5937-4388-84EB-D1C50F9276A2-21882-000024CC4FF1048A_zps3362a867.jpg
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ha, my two dogs have totally different reactions to me exercising.

My girl is a smoocher, so clearly anything I do on ground level is fair game for making out. She's also been known to straddle me and "stand guard" when I try to do crunches/sit-ups, as well as just plain old plunk down on my stomach.

My boy is younger and newer to our family, and we think he came from an abusive situation. He does NOT like it when I work out. Floor exercises are okay, but any sort of strange standing up motion drives him crazy. Jumping jacks immediately result in growling and barking, as does any use of the elliptical machine.

They're pretty funny when I take them out to run though. They get super excited beforehand (I have tried for years to figure out how my girl knows when I'm getting ready for a run... it's like she recognizes my running clothes or something) and will start bouncing all over the place whining and barking and going nuts. Then, we get out there and it takes about 5 minutes before Melonie decides she's done and plunks herself down on the ground and has to be dragged along with me. Jameson just stands there looking at her like "come on! What's your problem? This is FUUUUNNNNN!!!!!"

I think that dog is fatter and lazier than I am :-p.
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Like others said, put him in another room. OR before you plan on working out, tire him out with some play. Play with him until he's on his side and panting, then give him a treat. Cats follow this schedule. Hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep. Hunt/catch/kill is playing.
    This is a really good idea. Tiring your pets out with playing/walking can help keep them from using their energy to destroy your things or from attacking you as soon as you get on the floor.

Or, to OP, you can just try to plan your exercise when your cat is already sleeping... And you know how they love to sleep! (:
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My dog (Akita/Shepherd cross) insists I cant do steps unless I'm holding her rope and pulling her up with me.

Extra workout...bonus. :)

Love this!! Our Akita/shepard cross died in December. BEST.DOG.EVER. He was intuitive, and the most intelligent animal I've ever seen in my life. We miss him terribly.

Hijack over :-)

Our dogs learned that they had to get out of the way, but the cat was terrible. I had to lock her up.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I was doing sit ups when my cat ran past me real fast.... followed by the other one (bigger) who decided to jump between my legs and land on my face... claws and all!!!
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Haha yes! As soon as I put out my yoga mat my cat has to lay down right in the middle of it. Then when I finally get to start she rubs between my legs and lay down underneath me.