Salmon Recipe Needed

Options

Replies

• Hallzeehall
    Hallzeehall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just grilled salmon for the first time ever today and used the Food Network recipe for Salmon with Brown Sugar & Mustard glaze...super delicious. This cooks fast, doesn't have a lot of ingredients and tastes great. Its a Bobby Flay recipe. Definitely recommend it!
  • dmdakd
    dmdakd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We grill our and bast it with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Turns out great.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Salmon grills very nicely. Having the skin on is better in terms of having the fish hold together, but it matters only slightly. Grill skin side up for about 4 minutes and then skin side down for 4 minutes. Times may vary with the grill
    You can marinade for 24 hours before cooking
    1T C Sesame oil
    1/2 C soy sauce
    1/2 C lime juice
    1/4C mirin (or vermouth or white wine)
    2 T minced garlic
    1T powdered ginger (or minced fresh)
    1/4 t Hot pepper flakes (the kind you put on pizza)
    1/4C olive oil (or other cooking oil)(I often use less and up the lime juice)

I use this, freeze it and then use it a second time
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No recipe needed. I put a fillet in the toaster oven on 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Comes out perfect every time. You can either do salt and pepper, or whatever herb you like before you cook it for taste. I love things spicy (and so does the boyfriend), so I put Franks Red Hot and Crushed Red Pepper on my mine before it goes in the oven. The BF says it's the best salmon he's ever tasted! :)
  • neretete
    neretete Posts: 30
    Options
    I love salmon with just butter and lomon juice, but another great recipe is this.

Preheat oven to 500. put metal pan in there.
    Take 1 Tbsp whole peppercorns and crush them. Mix with 1 Tbsp dill and a tsp nutmeg.
    Spread 40 salmon filets with dijon mustard. Top with dill mixture.
    Take out pan and put salmon on it. Put it back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until done.

Delish!
  • sakeith84
    sakeith84 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I've also been looking for simple ways to cook salmon. Some of these look delicious!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

OLD BAY® BAKED CRUSTED SALMON

Ingredients

1 teaspoon OLD BAY® Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Dill Weed

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Onion Powder

vegetable oil (I typically use olive oil spray instead)

1 pound salmon fillets

Directions

Preheat oven to 450° F. In a small bowl, mix OLD BAY, dill weed and onion powder.

Place fish, skin-side down, in lightly greased baking pan. Lightly brush fish with oil. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over fish.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. (I find that it usually takes closer to 15-16 minutes but may vary if you use a grill and place it on foil.)
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The instructions I've seen say 15 min for each inch of thickness. Hard to determind since its not an even thickness all the way through. I "bake' mine in the oven, in a covered dish. I sprinkle it with garlic/herb (no salt) mix, dill weed, a little salt, and lemon juice. I check it after 15 min and cut off any thin parts--they're done. I like mine NOT deep pink in the middle.

Many years ago I had some in a Seattle restaurant that was basted in orange/lemon and honey. I've never forgotten that taste. (A little honey when you serve it does the same thing).

What happens if you overcook it? You get something like canned tuna. Not good but still usable if you use it like canned tuna.

I cook salmon nearly every week. As long as you don't overcook it, there's not much bad that you can do it. Go for it. All the recipes here look good.
  • jacs119
    jacs119 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Copper River, wild caught salmon is the only salmon I ever eat. Forget about farm raised salmon. You won't regret it.
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love Salmon! Now I have new recipes.

I like to pan fry mine with some mangoes, pineapple and a little bit of bbq sauce.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You can pay grill it. I use a cast iron pan for salmon, get the pan hot and make sure it's cured so it doesn't stick. (I buy skinless so I end up going back and forth.) But there's two ways I prepare it depending on what I'm in the mood for.

You can let it marinate in a plastic bag with some low sodium teriyaki and soy sauce then cook it in sesame oil (just enough to coat the pan.) Or if you want something simple just cook it with salt and pepper, maybe a bit of lemon juice and top with a small pat of butter.

I also love baking it with some bbq sauce.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Easiest one I make is with Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce (at most grocery stores). My kids devour this one. Put some salt & pepper on salmon, add some of the chili sauce, cook skin side down in a pan. No oil necessary - at most spray. Cover, let it cook until half done. Add a little more of the sauce and stick under the broiler for a few minutes - becomes all caramelized and yummy. Remember to undercook it slightly, it continues to cook with its own heat for a while. Enjoy! (I agree - it's worth it to buy wild caughter salmon - not farm raised, which has red dye added to it.) I have tons of easy salmon ideas, but it looks like you got some great ones here. Let me know if you want more. And, congrats on your great weight loss and juggling everything you do! :)
  • jharron
    jharron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • missmaggie369
    Options
    BUMP for later :)
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I grill salmon without anything and just add a bit of lemon before I eat it. It is such a flavorful fish that it don't need a thing!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Heat a small frying pan up, place salmon skin down in the HOT pan (cannot stress this enough! the pan needs to be hot!!)

1 chilli, diced (an de-seeded if you don like it too hot) or you can use dried chilli flakes
    dried garlic/fresh garlic (to taste)
    sea salt
    ground black pepper
    Lemon
    dried coriander

as the salmon is sizzling, add the zest of the lemon and other bits..
    once you see the colour change about half way up the salmon, remove the salmon from the heat. tip over the lemon juice (this is to taste i use just over half a lemon)
    Sprinkle some dried coriander over and add a slice of lemon to the top of the salmon, cover the top of the pan in foil, make sure theres no air gettin in.

turn the heat down to the lowest setting and place pan back over the heat.... leave for around 10mins and then check.

Once its cooked through you can add a little more to taste if you want.

I love this method to cooking fresh salmon, im a huge salmon eater.
    it can also be used for other fish and even shell fish.

Im having it like this tonight with some lemon an ginger rice :)
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    http://www.culinary.net/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?ID=2770&CourseName=Fish+&+Seafood&CourseID=18#.T4w7H7bFLD4.pinterest

i made this recipe on friday, i seriously could have eaten the whole pound of fish. alas, i had to share with my husband. however, we are having it AGAIN for dinner tonight! CANT WAIT!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wild salmon has a lot of flavor and doesn't require a lot of complex sauces and flavorings and there are some really good ideas on this thread. Whatever you do, I'd keep it simple and don't overcook it. For salmon steaks especially, some melted butter - you don't need a lot - with a little crushed garlic brushed on is very nice on the grill (if you like garlic) and this will be good for filets as well. A little lemon on the plate and it's delicious.

The farmed salmon has less flavor and though I don't usually get it, when I do I'll usually add more flavor to it to compensate.
  • AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oven Baked Salmon (1 serving is approximately 4-6 oz.)

Preheat oven to 350

Ingredients:
    1 large salmon filet (skin attached) (thawed)
    1 tbsp orange blossom honey
    1 tbsp sugar free peach marmalade/jam
    salt/pepper to taste
    1 tbsp parsley (dried or fresh)
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp garlic powder

Line a glass or metal pan with aluminum foil. Lay salmon skin-side down. In small bowl, mix honey, marmelade, salt, pepper, parsely, onion and garlic powder until well mixed. Pour mixture on top of the salmon, covering liberally . Close aluminum foil to form a tent, totally wrapping fish.

Bake covered for 30-40 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork. You could probably grill it as well.

This recipe is very tasty and leaves the salmon very moist with a great sweet flavor.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle the top with some Old Bay seasoning and put in some tinfoil and sort of "tent" the top when you close it up and throw it on the grill. Don't put it on the bottom rack right next to the flame if possible, should be done in about 15 minutes. It will flake easily with a fork when it's done cooking. YUM!!