That awkward moment when...

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
Your bf or gf drags you to a friends house full of people that are 8-10 years older than you all talking about things you can't really join in on, so you awkwardly sit there the entire night resorting to playing with your phone until it's over. What's even worse is that my dedicated cheat meal isn't till tomorrow (really don't want to break that, stick with a routine) and what they are eating is pizza... I planned on eating something when we get out of here but looks like I'm going to be here longer than I thought. Hungry and definitely feel like I shouldn't be here... Lol sigh. What awkward moments have you guys had? Keep me company! :]

Replies

• Behxo
    Options
    Also the reason he wanted me to come is cause he wanted someone to talk to cause since it's just one person he knows when a whole group is here that he doesn't know, but turns out I'm the only one sitting here with no one to talk to lol go figure
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Why don't you have anything to talk about?
  • Behxo
    Options
    I play video games but their having a gaming night specifically only classic and these are people that know EVERYTHING about classic games, I know minimal about them even though I own a few. Also it sucks that all his attention is on the tv and talking to them so I'm literally just sitting here alone on my phone that def won't last through the night hah
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    This is more of an issue with the age barrier than anything. You lack the social skills to bridge that gap. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Get off your phone and jump in with the conversation!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    beer!! :drinker:
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This is more of an issue with the age barrier than anything. You lack the social skills to bridge that gap. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Sorry to the OP, but I agree.

Get off your phone and be polite.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

have a few drinks, start talking, and play some retro games. I know how you feel tho. I've had situations that I just can't win in.
  • nikilis
    Options
    beer!! :drinker:

+ tequila
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my ex - he took me to a halloween party with all of his friends, and while I was younger by 7ish years I was the most mature person there. Also he didn't introduce me to a single soul and was super drunk and would just leave me for 40 minutes at a time - yeah, I said ex.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There was this one night when my husband invited a co-worker and his gf over for some games and pizza. All the gf did was sit on the sofa and play with her iPhone all night.
  • Behxo
    Options
    There is no alcohol here and I have social anxiety, so I'm feeling kind of queasy I guess and really just want to leave. Being on my phone is helping a bit with my comfort level, can't really help it.
  • Behxo
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my ex - he took me to a halloween party with all of his friends, and while I was younger by 7ish years I was the most mature person there. Also he didn't introduce me to a single soul and was super drunk and would just leave me for 40 minutes at a time - yeah, I said ex.

Yea I was barely introduced either, very awkward.
  • chantelp89
    Options
    No it's not. I'm 23 and my bf is almost 10 yrs older. My ex was 17 yrs older than me. I always joined in. She just needs to get off her phone
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Get off your phone and jump in with the conversation!

^this. Even if you don't have anything to add to most of the conversation, be involved and attentive enough to be ready when/if it happens. Sitting there on your phone is not a good idea.
  • nikilis
    Options
    in terms of moments, one of my ex girlfriends was impossible to deal with, and hated pretty much all of my friends, even from different groups.

my design school friends were having a few drinks at a look out spot, she didn't want to go, but we went. she got out of the car, hardly said hello, stood there for like 1 minute, got back in the car and started driving off. I had to chase the car. I was only there for 2 minutes.

I could go on and on. she was a lunatic.

she would run out of cafes after like 1 minute away from my friends too. yet I couldn't go anywhere alone otherwise she would be waiting to blacken my balls when I got back, even though i was only gone like 4 hours.

what a keeper.
  • chantelp89
    Options

Yea I was barely introduced either, very awkward.
    Introduce yourself. You're an adult
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    When Bro's don't even lift!
  • chantelp89
    Options
    Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, I'm in a weird mood. Sorry you had a ****ty time
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I come from a very tiny family, but my husband comes from a very large & loud family. My family is the type where you call ahead to visit. His is the type where the front door is unlocked, and if you know where the fridge is, help yourself to a beer! So the very first time I went to meet and spend time with them, it was an eye opener.

Get off your phone & mingle. Get to know them, make new friends. That's what I would do in your situation. Life is full of interesting people!