Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Seriously, OP, what is the game?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If you have anxiety issues there is proven medication to help. Otherwise dont allow yourself to be put in these situations.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not much of a war. I don't fight unarmed opponents.
    [/quote]

coming from you. lol
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when I walk in on my cat masturbating and I'm not sure what to do, so I lay the box of tissues beside him and leave without getting what I need from that room.

The conversation started to go down hill so I thought I would just add that in there.
    My grandparents had a dog that masturbated.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    Options
    If you have anxiety issues there is proven medication to help. Otherwise dont allow yourself to be put in these situations.

Not helpful at the moment. She's already there. Maybe she's already taking medication. Maybe it's not to that point yet. Bottom line, let's just get her through this awkward night before we all start digging out our Rx pads, mkay?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I was just about to ask that. Also, what kind of crowd are they? Stuffy? Friendly?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Why not go sit beside someone and ask them how to play the game? People love to teach others about the things they're good at. And quite frankly, if I invited someone over and they were anti-social and refused to participate I would wonder why they bothered coming at all.
  • chesq77
    Options
    lol well that was fun.

anyways

that awkward moment when im sitting down faceing away from the door and im using a shake weight hammer curl style...dad comes in and thinks im jerking off and yells out...dont worry son thats perfectly normal
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Where'd OP go? C'mon and just be nice or IM eachother
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when. someone admits to using a shake weight...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from OP. I am a shy introvert and my husband is an outgoing (imagine that) extrovert. I am very fortunate that he is also very sensitive to me and my feelings and has always made an effort to include me when we are at a gathering, especially with people I don't know. If I am not into what they are doing, such as they all came from the same town in NY and went to high school together, so they tell stories about way back when, I will still sit with him and he'll hold my hand or rub my back to let me know that he is still aware I am there and that he knows that I might be uncomfortable. That's enough to make me more comfortable and make me happy to let him have his good time with his friends. I don't want to ruin his good time with friends.

Maybe tell your BF that you need him to make sure he continues to connect with you when you are in such an awkward situation like you were. It's obvious you aren't/ weren't happy to go hang with them. If his company isn't enough to keep you happy, then plan on staying home the next time. I'm not being snarky, just saying that if you aren't happy there, you'd probably be happier at home.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure it's not a board game, but a video game. or a computer game.

as an aside: drunk cranium is pretty awesome.
  • chesq77
    Options
    that awkward moment when my deliviry on my awkward moment was bad....its from romanatwoods on youtube
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Hey OP,

I bet you are not only regretting going to that party but starting this thread now, am I right?

I know just how you feel - although I rarely have a phone to fall back on in these situations, I just stand around awkwardly, being... awkward.

I guess I have social anxiety too, although I've never thought of it that way, I just know that being in social situations where I don't know anybody bums me out. I don't make an effort to small talk with people because I don't think I'm good at it and because if I do make an effort & I get the "wrong" response it makes me feel not only infinitely more awkward but like I am a failure at being a regular human being.

You are SO not alone in feeling like you do, just as the people who are telling you to get off your phone or jump in on the conversation/activity are not alone in feeling the way they do, they are just different personality types, which, you know, makes the world go around and all that.

I used to blog & when I wrote about this topic the response I got was massive - 90 percent of the comments were from people who could relate, who felt the same way & thought that they were the only ones, and while that doesn't help any with being in these situations, it does help one's mental state to know that we aren't the only freaks who feel like this!

It's hard when the only person you know is ignoring your plight too. I am wracking my brain for a solution but I can just SEE the exact scenario in my head & know what it must be like. Lots of my SO's friend's thought I was standoffish or even just a *kitten* in the early days, because I kept to myself so much, but I just didn't know what else to do when they were all involved in something & getting along famously. Look around. Is there anyone at all who isn't involved this second? Smile at them. Ask what their favorite game is. Tell them that you have a few old games yourself but are way out of your depth amongst all this knowledge. They might offer you an in! Or just a distracting chat.

Good luck, and, since I have NFI what time it is over there, if it's all over by now, yay you, you survived. xx
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is more of an issue with the age barrier than anything. You lack the social skills to bridge that gap. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Sorry to the OP, but I agree.

Get off your phone and be polite.

^^This. OP my husband is 12 years older than I. So are all of his friends. We have plenty to talk about since I make an effort. Get off the phone and grab a beer and chat. Its eaiser than you think.

ETA - Well I guess this is what happens when you don't read the whole thread. Let me apologize OP. I used to have social anxiety so bad (along with claustrophobia) that going through a fast food drive thru would cause me to vomit; being in a theatre to see a movie i would hyperventilate and pass out. I'm sorry you are having a rough time.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure it's not a board game, but a video game. or a computer game.

as an aside: drunk cranium is pretty awesome.

this counts me out for help but then it took me two weeks to learn crib
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

I think the game is see how many folks we can rile up in Chit Chat, then bounce from the scene.
    Hope she bumped for later.
    While some of these other folks are getting butthurt
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    Options
    "I think the game is see how many folks we can rile up in Chit Chat, then bounce from the scene.
    Hope she bumped for later.
    While some of these other folks are getting butthurt"

Well, good for her. Achievement unlocked, I guess.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread.
    I'll say that I have massive social anxiety. To the point that it crippling to be in any social gathering. I'm perfectly content to sit in a room full of people and not say one word and just be there... Except it sucks. Its pretty boring after a wile.
    I don't have great advice, except that you just have to fake confidence. Try stupid comedy, some jokes and steer the conversation to a place you can talk about. I just do that. Its tough and hard, but what else are you going to do?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when none of these moments are awkward and you start to wonder if anyone remembers the definition of the word...