That awkward moment when...

Options

Replies

• loriboren1
    loriboren1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I feel your pain - I'm a bit socially awkward myself. I find the best solution is to pick someone and ask them a question - maybe in this case about gaming, or more specifically about their opinions on/experience with a particular retro game? People love to talk about themselves, and if you get somebody started, it breaks the ice. Good luck!
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    that awkard moment when i get tent action in my khakis in class

people let her do whatever she wants to do....she didnt say judge her she said entertain her.

You may or may not have noticed that MFPers are reluctant to follow instructions of OPs...

...(especially when they think an OP is doing it wrong).

thats why this site sucks. its more of a judgemental system than a support system.

You think *that* is why this site sucks? Because people don't blindly offer "support" and suppress sharing what they believe is actually more helpful/useful advice? You would prefer that people strictly honor her wishes and provide the entertainment she requested instead of pointing out that her behavior (ie, being on the phone all the time) is possibly a significant barrier to her participation in the discussion?

Personally, I believe *that* viewpoint is what is wrong with this site. To me, that is not really support.

okay to certain extent youre right. but you dont have to do it as rudely as some people. you dont know what makes them who they are and you dont know their personal life....theres a difference with being rude and stating your opinion.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    people use words that i have no clue what they mean like yolo come on thank goodness for google and then my fl on here when they change pic to new one i get excited like whos this some one new errr. but i agree social anxiety suxs but pull bf over and give him the heads up to include you or you can go home or to your friends no use wasting time. i'm not being mean i wouldn't stay thats just weird
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

people let her do whatever she wants to do....she didnt say judge her she said entertain her.

You may or may not have noticed that MFPers are reluctant to follow instructions of OPs...

thats why this site sucks. its more of a judgemental system than a support system.

And yet, here you are.

to count my macros and be apart of the small percentage who actually supports....you were the first one to call her out on lacking social skills, you must be proud of yourself.

And there are other calorie counting apps/sites. I am not here to support anyone. That simply isn't what I want to do.

And I pointed out why she was having difficulty, nothing more. If you took offense or think that it was "rude", then I am sorry your skin is so thin.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You think *that* is why this site sucks? Because people don't blindly offer "support" and suppress sharing what they believe is actually more helpful/useful advice? You would prefer that people strictly honor her wishes and provide the entertainment she requested instead of pointing out that her behavior (ie, being on the phone all the time) is possibly a significant barrier to her participation in the discussion?

Personally, I believe *that* viewpoint is what is wrong with this site. To me, that is not really support.

okay to certain extent youre right. but you dont have to do it as rudely as some people. you dont know what makes them who they are and you dont know their personal life....theres a difference with being rude and stating your opinion.

Maybe...

...but that said, I am not going to do a full psych profile of a poster before answering their question. Sure, my advice may inadvertently touch a nerve, or perhaps there's a reason why my advice isn't ideal for them. That's fine...I accept that...but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop giving the advice.

TL;DR - I do not believe people have a right not to be offended in a public forum. *This* is an integral component of public discourse.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I had that happen when I was younger. I started reading a lot so no matter WHAT topic comes up, I can contribute something. Get off the phone and hone those skills honey.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Would it be so awful to ask them to teach you how to play? Most hard core board gamers I know, including myself if I'm being honest, would jump at the chance to share their love of a game with someone new. Stop projecting onto everyone else, take responsibility for your own good time, and go ask them to teach you. Simple as that. Don't be that creepy girlfriend on the sofa with her phone. Just don't.
  • chesq77
    Options

And yet, here you are.

to count my macros and be apart of the small percentage who actually supports....you were the first one to call her out on lacking social skills, you must be proud of yourself.

And there are other calorie counting apps/sites. I am not here to support anyone. That simply isn't what I want to do.

And I pointed out why she was having difficulty, nothing more. If you took offense or think that it was "rude", then I am sorry your skin is so thin.

ok just sit behind a computer screen and write whatever you want then.
    and my skin isnt thin, she stated herself peoples comments were not helping.
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I once went to my brother's birthday party with my now ex (I wanted to go alone, but he insisted he go with me). When we arrived, he jumped into every conversation and dominated it, so I just ended up sitting on my phone...for about 6 hours...while my ex got drunk and socialized with the people I was supposed to be socializing with. The night ended with me being my ex's DD and I didn't even get to spend time with my bro on his birthday :(
  • jessgetshealthy
    Options
    I have been insanely shy my entire life. Since working as a cashier (lame, I know right?) and
    marrying my husband (14 years older) who's family is from Jersey and VERY loud and outspoken,
    I have opened up some. Get off your phone. Even if you are just sitting there listening. If I had
    friends over and someone was just sitting there on the phone, I would be a little annoyed and
    think that person was a little rude! I agree with cmbishop06. Ask them to teach you. :]
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when I walk in on my cat masturbating and I'm not sure what to do, so I lay the box of tissues beside him and leave without getting what I need from that room.

The conversation started to go down hill so I thought I would just add that in there.
  • whierd
    Options

And yet, here you are.

Ok, tough guy.

Bet she is glad to have you White Knighting for her!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And I know this comment wasn't for me, but in case you may think it also applies: I am *much* more direct and outspoken in person than I am in the forums here. Many *many* times, I have typed up a response and decided against it for various reasons. That doesn't work so well in person since it has already been said.

ETA: We now return you to your regularly-scheduled internet war of words between whierd and chesq77.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    whats the game i bet we can help you personaly i love the game of life
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Get off your phone and jump in with the conversation!

This. Or change the subject. Something. Anything.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when I walk in on my cat masturbating and I'm not sure what to do, so I lay the box of tissues beside him and leave without getting what I need from that room.

The conversation started to go down hill so I thought I would just add that in there.

WHAT?? LOL
  • chesq77
    Options

And I know this comment wasn't for me, but in case you may think it also applies: I am *much* more direct and outspoken in person than I am in the forums here. Many *many* times, I have typed up a response and decided against it for various reasons. That doesn't work so well in person since it has already been said.

for one my comment wasnt really geared towards you, you didnt even say anything to her rudely, you just stated your opinon like a normal person to her and on me, so i said mine back. so technically we're all good.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you feel uncomfortable try to find time to let him know you are feeling that way and find a way to leave. No reason fo ryou to be feeling like that all night
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options

agree and I've been raised to not talk about things I don't know about. Perhaps this is the same....the night won't last forever. Good luck :)
  • whierd
    Options

ETA: We now return you to your regularly-scheduled internet war of words between whierd and chesq77.

Not much of a war. I don't fight unarmed opponents.